Sly blocking iptv

@bazcfc1 That was not bad advice, When your connection goes wonky and you unplug the router for 1 to 5min and reboot it and it sort's the problem OUT thats what you do LOL
True mate my supplier told me that 2 year ago when I thought my box and line had gone he told me to turn box off and router for a couple of mins and will be straight back on so if works for me and you then must work for others aswell

So when your provider for bb tells you to do it everytime there's a fault or they tell you to reset it is that bad advice I always turn my box and router off everytime never had a problem still get the same speeds as I was prior and as @londonfox says he's never had a problem so how can it be bad advice

fill yer boots.
don't complain when you notice your line speed drop thru DLM though.
once you understand what the DLM system is and how it monitors your line you'll understand why it's important to gracefully disconnect.

and if any ISP tells you to "Just turn power button off on back of router" then they need re-trained as that is not what they should be telling you to do, and from my experience that isn't what they tell you to do.
anyways, these monkeys on the other end of the phone are trained to tell people whatever it takes to get them off the phone, and the "go reboot your router" will get them off the phone.

that website gives some very bad advice, anyone that follows their advice deserves what they get.
seriously, they suggest using a timer plug to kill the power on the router regularly- madness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i do agree ((they suggest using a timer plug to kill the power on the router regularly)) Is madness, But i was looking more on at why turning your router off to sort a problem is not a bad thing, I dont use that site it was the first one that come up on google,

How and what the heck is gracefully disconnecting?

I think it's when you get a vicar to come and turn your router off LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
How and what the heck is gracefully disconnecting?

you disconnect the DSL connection first (you do that in your router admin page)
once that has done (you know as your internet light will you out on the router) you can then safely kill the power on the router.

not disonnecting the DSL connection first will result in DLM logging a potential issue on the line as it'll assume the line dropped due to a fault or similar. a few of these in a set period of time will then trigger DLM into life and start applying "fixes" to your line to stop the dropped connections.

fill yer boots.
don't complain when you notice your line speed drop thru DLM though.
once you understand what the DLM system is and how it monitors your line you'll understand why it's important to gracefully disconnect.

and if any ISP tells you to "Just turn power button off on back of router" then they need re-trained as that is not what they should be telling you to do, and from my experience that isn't what they tell you to do.
anyways, these monkeys on the other end of the phone are trained to tell people whatever it takes to get them off the phone, and the "go reboot your router" will get them off the phone.

that website gives some very bad advice, anyone that follows their advice deserves what they get.
seriously, they suggest using a timer plug to kill the power on the router regularly- madness.
How is it nonsense and need re training that rubbish so you can't reset your router with a pin then as my speeds will drop but bearing in mind there's always factors around people's homes and how far away from exchange they are that causes problems but I take it your the head guy from BT maybe virgin or sky

If you would need to turn your router off all the time there must be a problem with your line and you would want DLM to come to life and start applying fixes

If you would need to turn your router off all the time there must be a problem with your line and you would want DLM to come to life and start applying fixes
Mine only gets turned off when told or my WiFi blocks everyone out of router lol

no, you'd want to report the fault to your ISP so that the the fault is fixed and DLM gets removed.
DLM will just keep ramping down your speed until it finds something stable, and if you keep making it do that you'll end up with 2Mbps.

extremely bad advice!
just "turning the power button off" may result in your line having DLM applied, which will result in a slower connection.
if you keep doing it then you will adversely affect your line.

you should never just kill the power on the router, you should always do a graceful disconnection of the DSL link before powering off the router.

I am not being argumentative, in fact, I want the argumentative posts to stop - debate, by all means, just nicely.

Firstly, this thread is 2 months old, I'm sure the original problem has been debated to death.
Second, checks when you answered initially, you used acronyms which frankly, went miles over my head, without trying to explain them.
Third, I have many times been asked to just plug out my router, in fact it seems to be the only thing "customer service" know, so I unplug mine just before I ring them.
Fourth, I wasn't being funny when I asked how to disconnect gracefully, your reply just gives me more jargon, so I still don't know how. If this is a thing, surely our instruction manuals would tell us how to power off? And surely they wouldn't want all and sundry pricking around with the router settings, you see how poorly they deal with instructions in other threads, their heads would be melted with people making a mess of their service.

Now guys, debate away, but play nicely.

I`ve tried repeatedly to turn off "content lock" with my EE broadband but to no avail followed the instructions below:
EE Broadband

For EE broadband you will want to disable orange safeguard (content lock), please follow these instructions.

1. Log in or register your account at https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/login-dispatch/
2. Click DEVICE&USAGE in the menu and scroll down to content lock
3. Turn content lock off

Trouble is as soon as I log in it gives me 2 options manage my broadband account or add a mobile device. If i select manage my broadband it gives me no option to turn content lock off or Device&Usage. I even spoke EE who said content lock is some thing which is applied to a a device not a connection i.e a tablet or a mobile. Searching the internet i found that majority of answers point to the fact content lock is applicable to those with mobile EE plans/contracts (which i dont have).

i`m confused as my IPTV provider says I need to turn this off to stop connection problem/freezing but I cant find this option anywhere, Ive noticed some on this forum have managed to do this and I really would like to know how as these instructions followed to the T dont work for me - and I`d like to think im an IT literate guy :).

Any help would be appreciated.

I`ve tried repeatedly to turn off "content lock" with my EE broadband but to no avail followed the instructions below:
EE Broadband

For EE broadband you will want to disable orange safeguard (content lock), please follow these instructions.

1. Log in or register your account at https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/login-dispatch/
2. Click DEVICE&USAGE in the menu and scroll down to content lock
3. Turn content lock off

Trouble is as soon as I log in it gives me 2 options manage my broadband account or add a mobile device. If i select manage my broadband it gives me no option to turn content lock off or Device&Usage. I even spoke EE who said content lock is some thing which is applied to a a device not a connection i.e a tablet or a mobile. Searching the internet i found that majority of answers point to the fact content lock is applicable to those with mobile EE plans/contracts (which i dont have).

i`m confused as my IPTV provider says I need to turn this off to stop connection problem/freezing but I cant find this option anywhere, Ive noticed some on this forum have managed to do this and I really would like to know how as these instructions followed to the T dont work for me - and I`d like to think im an IT literate guy :).

Any help would be appreciated.
I used to be with ee for broadband had it 18 months never had to turn anything off on router for my iptv to work have you just tried restarting router and device see if that makes a difference

Yes bazcfc1 done that plenty of times, worked fine first month then it started causing issues as mentioned, firmware on mag is uptodate (r19) too my IPTV guy says connection is fine.

Yes bazcfc1 done that plenty of times, worked fine first month then it started causing issues as mentioned, firmware on mag is uptodate (r19) too my IPTV guy says connection is fine.
Could you try your box at a friend's house to see if you have same problem there

Back