Slyk-1-HD Top Picks 'Todays Picks' MOD

This is for the Top Picks MOD for slyk-1-hd skin

credit for this MOD goes to Kiddac, creator of Slyk-1-HD skin , Gmanpanthro - creation of the top picks screen , grantdavey91 - top picks mod amendments + image automation , danmed - shell script creation

Full instructions, i'll try to explain as simply as possible from start to finish :

Download the the latest slyk-1-hd skin ipk from Kiddac's first post (LINK1) be sure to read kiddac's first post as you will need to edit the extras.xml file in /usr/share/enigma2/slyk-1-hd

edit in extras.xml : (changes in bold)

Code:
     <screen name="GraphicalEPGPIG" position="0,0" size="1280,720" backgroundColor="backgroundmid" flags="wfNoBorder">        <panel name="GraphicalEPGPIG[B]2[/B]" />
    </screen>

<!-- expanded EPG (epg button - TV hold) -->
    <screen name="GraphicalEPG" position="0,0" size="1280,720" backgroundColor="backgroundmid" flags="wfNoBorder">
        <panel name="GraphicalEPG[B]2[/B]" />
    </screen>

save and ftp back to /usr/share/enigma2/slyk-1-hd

Next, download skin.xml, mymods.xml and skyicons folder (Attachment1) and place in /usr/share/enigma2/slyk-1-hd - click yes to overwrite skin.xml

Next, go to the github source (LINK2) and select the green download button on the right, and choose download as zip

Extract the toppicks-master.zip and you should have toppicks.py in there

FTP toppicks.py to /usr/script (you will need to create the folder 'script' - make sure it is named just script and not scripts - all lowercase)

Next, press EPG on your box, and then press Menu, which should take you to GraphicalEPG settings

If it doesn't, go to Menu > System > Setup > EPG > Graphical EPG Settings

Make sure you have the following settings :

Show Bouquet On Launch - Yes
Picture In Graphics - Yes

Now go to Menu > Timers > CronTimers (you may be prompted to install 'busybox-cron' - install this - box will restart)

Add a Cron Timer by pressing the Green button

Run How Often ? - Daily
Time To Execute Command Or Script - Whatever you prefer, I have 00:00
Command Type - Custom
Command To Run - /usr/bin/python /usr/script/toppicks.py

Press Green to save

Make sure Autostart is 'Active' and Current Status is 'Running' (if they are not, press the Blue button)

Now you can restart your box - Menu > Standby and Restart > Restart GUI (after restart this should enable the TOP PICKS mod - press EPG to see it)

Now if you are using windows, download Putty (LINK3) and telnet into your box (on a mac, use the in-built terminal)

To telnet, input the IP address of the box (to find the IP address, go to Menu > Information > Network - will start with 192.168 most likely)

Default username is 'root'

There is no password for default , so if it asks, just hit enter on the keyboard

Now type EXACTLY /usr/bin/python /usr/script/toppicks.py

And now check your 'Top Picks' screen by pressing EPG

If you get a list of channel bouquets, you have done something wrong, please re-read the post and make sure you have enabled 'Show Bouquet On Launch' to 'Yes' in GraphicalEPG Settings)

If you are displayed with the top picks screen with all images present, the mod should be working

To check if it is definitely running, access /usr/share/enigma2/slyk-1-hd/skyicons and delete 'toppicks1.png' ,'toppicks2.png' , 'toppicks3.png' , 'toppicks4.png' , 'toppicks5.png' , 'toppicks6.png

Then open top picks by pressing EPG and you should be presented with the screen although all bottom images except 'More top picks' image should have disappeared

Now telnet the same command as before (/usr/bin/python /usr/script/toppicks.py)

Press EPG, and the images should have re-appeared

I will always try my best to support if you're having trouble, but please ensure you are following the slyk-1-hd instructions on kiddac's first post (LINK1) as well as these instructions for this mod

LINK1 -
HTML:
http://www.techkings.org/openvix-openatv-skins/102929-slyk-1-hd-sly-skin-version-5-a.html

LINK2 -
HTML:
https://github.com/danmed/toppicks

LINK3 -
HTML:
http://www.putty.org/

Attachment1 : - just download the zip at bottom of post

Attachments

• boxsets.png
    boxsets.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 483
  • sky cinema.png
    sky cinema.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 490
  • skystore.png
    skystore.png
    30 KB · Views: 486
  • toppicks1.png
    toppicks1.png
    139 KB · Views: 535
  • toppicks2.png
    toppicks2.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 501
  • toppicks3.png
    toppicks3.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 499
  • toppicks4.png
    toppicks4.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 506
  • toppicks5.png
    toppicks5.png
    75.7 KB · Views: 526
  • toppicks6.png
    toppicks6.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 498
  • toppicksmod.zip
    814.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Hey man, these are great but i'm not going to be able to grab them from here using a script as i believe each time you upload an image, the link will change.

They will need to be on another host.. I've tried imgur but it seems that suffers the same problem as the link changes with each new image. (google drive and dropbox are out too)

We need a host that can deal with the bandwidth this could potentially create, then the below script should work on a cron job

Based on dsayers2014 suggestion, i've set up a github..

The images and code are hosted there.. hopefully this means we can just change the images hosted there and it'll all work..

i am considering creating this as a plugin.. however i have absolutely no clue how to do that at this point.. Anyone got a dipshit guide to writing your first plugin?

All it needs to do is to be able to do is download the images from github on a schedule

Last edited:
Okay no problem, do I need the login detail of the github you've created or do I just need to sign up to github and you grant me permission to upload to there? I've never used github before either!

And I can't get to a comp to get going yet either lol, will be able to later today

As far as creating a plugin goes there should be a boob guide somewhere on the net, but I've never looked lol

Okay no problem, do I need the login detail of the github you've created or do I just need to sign up to github and you grant me permission to upload to there? I've never used github before either!

And I can't get to a comp to get going yet either lol, will be able to later today

As far as creating a plugin goes there should be a boob guide somewhere on the net, but I've never looked lol

I've had a word with Grog68 the guy who made the movie organisor plugin and to be honest, for the little bit of work this script is doing, a plugin just isn't worth it.. there are menu options already built in to set up a crontimer so that should be enough. I'm playing with the crontimers now through openwebif (i'm at work) and it's a real chore but i should be able to figure it out.

Great danmed, nice work mate.

Yeah I'm at work too lol the joys of life commitments haha!
No probs ! Will look forward to seeing the progress we can make later on :)

I'm having problems getting the cron job to run.. and seeing as i'm remote, i'ts a real pain to actually test anything..

Can someone test it for me?

I've updated the code in the github

You'll need to copy the file to somewhere on the box and then "chmod 777 toppicks.sh" so that it can execute

I'm having problems getting the cron job to run.. and seeing as i'm remote, i'ts a real pain to actually test anything..

Can someone test it for me?

I've updated the code in the github

You'll need to copy the file to somewhere on the box and then "chmod 777 toppicks.sh" so that it can execute

downloaded the new code from github and copied it to skyicons folder ran this

chmod 777 /usr/share/enigma2/slyk-1-hd/skyicons/toppicks.sh

then went to crontimer and i get this message

1_0_1_1076_7E5_2_11A0000_0_0_0 (1).jpg

yeah that's what i'm getting.. and it's not actually running.. i'm not sure why.. possibly because it's a shell script.. i'll see if i can write something basic in python

---------- Post Merged at 12:41 PM ----------

Right, i've changed it to a python script.. (updated in github)

put it anywhere you like on your box and then set your crontimer to

/path/to/file/python toppicks.py

see if that works... running it manually works fine

Edit : ANNNNNDDD nope.. do cron timers actually work on this damn box?

Edit 2: YAAAYYYY.. right so the problem was it was trying to run python from some stupid place.. so the command is :

/usr/bin/python /home/root/toppicks.py

(if you've put toppicks.py in /home/root obviously)

Last edited:
mod success

credit to kiddac, gmanpanthro, danmed, grantdavey91

instructions

HTML:
http://www.techkings.org/openvix-openatv-skins/103009-slyk-skin-mods-v5-20.html#post588928

HTML:

Could someone please explain in full how to add this? I haven't a clue where to start with it and I'm getting pretty confused. All I have at the moment is this...

1_0_1_1656_7E5_2_11A0000_0_0_0.jpg

I've FTP'd the following files over as instructed, mymods.xml, skyicons folder and toppicks.py, but it's not changed a thing? Where does the screen get skinned, I've trawled through pages of previous posts on the mods thread for V5 but cannot see anything to download?

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be so grateful! Thanks, Chaos

grantdavey91 could you please edit the first post with instructions and the mymods.xml and icons to make it easier for people to do. I haven't got chance to try this yet but will do on the weekend I didn't know you could download on a crontimer ive been trying to do an auto download on my plugin but haven't been able to work it out so I may scrap the plugin and do it via a cron job again great work can't wait to try it

Could someone please explain in full how to add this? I haven't a clue where to start with it and I'm getting pretty confused. All I have at the moment is this...

View attachment 19601

I've FTP'd the following files over as instructed, mymods.xml, skyicons folder and toppicks.py, but it's not changed a thing? Where does the screen get skinned, I've trawled through pages of previous posts on the mods thread for V5 but cannot see anything to download?

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be so grateful! Thanks, Chaos

you also need skin.xml to point to the mymods.xml

here you go, sorry for the confusion - i'm going to update the first post with full instructions

---------- Post Merged at 07:01 PM ----------

grantdavey91 could you please edit the first post with instructions and the mymods.xml and icons to make it easier for people to do. I haven't got chance to try this yet but will do on the weekend I didn't know you could download on a crontimer ive been trying to do an auto download on my plugin but haven't been able to work it out so I may scrap the plugin and do it via a cron job again great work can't wait to try it

no problem, good idea.

thanks

Attachments

• skin.xml.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 32
for the toppicks.py python script - Github updated - images changed - new images should appear the next time your cron timer runs

for the toppicks.py python script - Github updated - images changed - new images should appear the next time your cron timer runs​

Back