Smart IPTV through TV vs Box

tonylfc

Which is the better choice, using Smart IPTV app on tv or buying a mag box for a subscription.

Last edited:
With all the scaremongering about Mag boxes being blocked, I wouldn't buy a Mag box right now. It may all be untrue and hopefully it is, but personally I wouldn't be taking the chance, I would hate to lose my money.

At the end of the day it's all personal choice as well. I hated the TV app, I had various issues with it.

Last edited:
I would say a dedicated box will always be better than a tv app. Not sure on the mag box issue but I know lots of people with mag boxes and not seen the issue yet also spoken to my provider and he has not had any problems .

Libertyshield is it's own router isn't it?

Yeah, it plugs into the back of your normal router. The speed reduces slightly but didn't impact the quality of picture i got on iptv. Also other devices can remain connected to your normal router while the smart tv works off libertyshield.

As for issues with magboxes - i've got 2 and had no issues with them at all.

I have Smart Stb direct on tv (lifetime licence), a 256 magbox, and a firestick 2nd Gen with stb emu + vpn (if its ever required). To be honest performance wise there is very little between them. If anything the tv app seems to load up slightly quicker than the mag and firestick. However I am also very conscious that nothing lasts forever. With that in mind I am researching my next purchase in the event there is a change in the requirement for a vpn. I am exploring the most reliable android device. I have had a number in the past and they have all performed very well. Therefore in answer to Tonlfc if I was buying today, I personally would not buy a mag or pay for the tv app, I would buy a decent box with the capability of installing a vpn. So in conclusion if I were a betting man, which I am not, I would wager the firestick will be serving up iptv longer than the app or the mag. I take on board the fact I could if vpn was a necessity get a vpn router but I just prefer protecting the devices individually. My glass is still half full!, I am just trying to think of the long game and build in some future proofing.

i have a bt router and a samsung tv with smart iptv installed. any advice for which vpn to use as my sub says i need a vpn to prevent streams going off when epl is on

i have a bt router and a samsung tv with smart iptv installed. any advice for which vpn to use as my sub says i need a vpn to prevent streams going off when epl is on

I had this problem as well. Yet numerous other suppliers are able to offer EPL and 3pm kick offs with no VPN required. In the end i just got a new supplier.

What people need to realise is that a vpn is good if your isp is blocking you and providers allow the use of vpn but if its the main source getting blocked (provider) then a vpn is no good as the provider is blocked not you and not every device supports vpns I would do a bit of reaseach first I havnt had to use a vpn yet @Taylerlee 2 minds think alike very good post mate

Thanks guys, some decent info to go on. So I’m looking for a box or the fire stick, I already own a fire stick but not the latest with 4K etc, which won’t matter really. With the box option which is the best, an android or the VU, I know the VU+ has been around awhile now. Am I best just buying the latest firestick or will my old one do the job?

Thanks guys, some decent info to go on. So I’m looking for a box or the fire stick, I already own a fire stick but not the latest with 4K etc, which won’t matter really. With the box option which is the best, an android or the VU, I know the VU+ has been around awhile now. Am I best just buying the latest firestick or will my old one do the job?
I have all 3 firesticks and wouldn't bother going from 2nd gen to 4k tbh. Too many bkokers in it with downloader etc..

Never been blocked the 2 years I have been with my current provider and if anyone gets blocked he unblocks them so there is a way round it without vpn it just depends how good your supplier is. Obviously as bazcfc1 said, if your Internet provider blocks you then a vpn will work.

Never been blocked the 2 years I have been with my current provider and if anyone gets blocked he unblocks them so there is a way round it without vpn it just depends how good your supplier is. Obviously as bazcfc1 said, if your Internet provider blocks you then a vpn will work.
What ISP

Back