Smart TV advice

Sparky7ot

So as the title suggests I'm in the market for a new smart TV so am after advice on what features I should be looking for?

all depends on your budget plenty good 4k tvs out there but not much in 4k all ways curved tv route me self we have sony/samsung/lg but make sure you get plenty hdmi ports on back and smart tv way to go

Agree with the comments above, 4K is good, but not much content is broadcast in 4K currently, In my opinion 3D is a waste of time and seems to have been abandoned, curved TVs are all the rage at the moment I have one in the bedroom and the next tv I buy for the living room will definitely be curved as I like the way the picture looks compared to flat tv screens, one last feature I look out for is software compatibility, Lg and Samsung have good content stores, but running apps from elsewhere is almost impossible

So having been reading about TV's since starting this thread I've come to realise oled is well out of my price range of £500-£800. Loozing at 50" size.

So having been reading about TV's since starting this thread I've come to realise oled is well out of my price range of £500-£800. Loozing at 50" size.
Where abouts are you from I know a good store on eBay I've used before for a couple of things, it's in Bolton though and won't offer delivery on TVs for some reason they have cheap TVs on there I am eyeing myself. E.g. They have a 49 inch 4K ultra hd sharp led smart tv for £340 or if your not brand conscious you could get a 65 inch tech wood smart led 4K ultra hd for £560 and few more in between.

Google Richersounds they nearly always give 6yrs Free warranty on all makes Smart TVs
Plus free Delivery

Hi a good question( greengoat )Samsung describes the benifits of a curved Tv Screen
The curved panel allows the distance between the user and the TV screen to be the same
From almost any angle so by their definition they the Viewing experience to be the same
regardless of where your sitting?
Ps when I replaced my Sony 40"LCD with The Samsung 49"Smart TV (Curved)
I didn't read the above it just looked better and the picture quality is very good
If that's any help.

Last edited:
I guess when it comes down to it then, the steps for buying a new TV are:
1. look at a lot of TVs in the store
2. find the one that looks best for the money
3. search online for it
4. get slagged off by your mates for buying the wrong one

I guess when it comes down to it then, the steps for buying a new TV are:
1. look at a lot of TVs in the store
2. find the one that looks best for the money
3. search online for it
4. get slagged off by your mates for buying the wrong one
1.Yep you've got it in one.plus having a good sense of humour.

Just get the biggest bad boy you can afford.

My dad has a curved, on the opposite side of the room there is a window, when it's sunny it's crap as it has a glass screen.

And I mean it's proper crap.

LCD screens are dull plastic so you don't get anywhere near the same amount of reflection.

I bought an Android 50" TV that way I don't have to pay for downloads or any apps which seems to be the thing with oled TVs ( smart TVs doesn't seem so smart if you have to pay even a small fee for all the apps. they install prior to sale)

I bought an Android 50" TV that way I don't have to pay for downloads or any apps which seems to be the thing with oled TVs ( smart TVs doesn't seem so smart if you have to pay even a small fee for all the apps. they install prior to sale)
where about you buy that from

I paid £270 for 48 inch hitachi smart tv from argos 2 hdmi ports 2 usb ports led screen only downside is no app store to download from built in Netflix youtube Facebook on it freeview play plays hdd not a bad buy to bh

I paid £270 for 48 inch hitachi smart tv from argos 2 hdmi ports 2 usb ports led screen only downside is no app store to download from built in Netflix youtube Facebook on it freeview play plays hdd not a bad buy to bh
I would be more concerned about the picture quality and the number of ports than whether it is a smart tv. a simple firestick will turn any tv in a smart tv.

Sorry delayed getting back-- website ' buy it direct.co.uk ' refurbished or new TVs but android (Philips) is good they are based in Huddersfield got mine for £420 ---- 50" very lightweight which helps when installing onto a wall with no one to assist.buy Android only because oled and others put the APPs that you have to pay ongoing at monthly intervals . small change but annoying when you can download MODRO for free(not from the app.store)

I'd be expecting most (if not all) 4K TVs to do some pretty good upscaling. So even though not much content in 4K, a 4K TV should give better picture quality. Might be worth reading up on which brands/models are best in that area.

Back