Spur of a spur

siilver

TK Veteran
im looking for a bit of help here
if there is any electricians out there that say dont do it, then i wont touch it

im looking to put a double wall socket in the roof space for a booster and splitter for my tv to split it around the house for 4 tvs and the other socket will be for ethernet switch. that will be the most i will be running of it

so is it possible to run it of the spur of a spur, i have planned to put in a fused 13amp switch, just so i can turn it of when needed.

so this totaly silly or do i need a work around ?

From memory, not been active with domestic electrics for a good few years now.

The number of spurs allowed on a ring main is not to exceed the number of sockets on the ring main.

A spur can be taken from either a socket outlet or a junction box.

If you were to break the ring and insert a fused unit then this is a different matter and you can then create a fused radial circuit off the spur.

Therefore if you could access the point where the original spur is connected and introduce a fused connection unit (fused spur) hen yes, you can add an additional spur from the spur.

hey,
I can help here, :)
I've been a spark for over 25years, dom/com/ind,
you are not permitted to take a spur off a spur,
but, as above, if you can put a fused connection before the existing socket, then you can fit as many sockets after that fused point as you wish,
google - unswitched fused outlet for the sort of thing you need,

I seen this picture and thought how could I make it work.
cable_selection_webimg5.gif

im off the idea of the spur of the spur that's just silly. There is another plug up in the room next to it. It has a twin socket, need to check if it's a spur or ring. So the if it's a ring I could extend the ring yea to include the roof space socket. But how do I extend it up to the next floor. Junction box I guess.

if you use a 'conventional' junction box with screw terminals it has to be accessible,
if its going to be somewhere inaccessible, under the floor or something, it needs to be MF [maintenance free] , use some 'wago' connectors and a wagobox,

Yea that other plug is in the ring. So I need to pull one cable out, in or junction box (wago) up to the other plug then back to that plug

love the Internet thanks for all the help

yep, thats it,
just make sure it is a ring though, and not another double spur,
do you have any sort of multimeter?
remember,
Turn The Power Off First, and check it is dead,!
then test for continuity between each leg [side] of the ring, should probably be something like 0.3 - 0.6 ohms depending on the size of your house, and how much current your meter can push out.

yep, thats it,
just make sure it is a ring though, and not another double spur,
do you have any sort of multimeter?
remember,
Turn The Power Off First, and check it is dead,!
then test for continuity between each leg [side] of the ring, should probably be something like 0.3 - 0.6 ohms depending on the size of your house, and how much current your meter can push out.

yes i have a multimeter and all i need, house size 8 rooms over 2 floors not many plugs

Got it sorted today
wasnt a hard job, I'm sure if you had to hide the cable and all it would make it harder.
But thanks for all your help

You're very welcome,
Glad I could help, even if only in a small way,
I've had my share of help from reading posts on here.

Oh yea forums are a great tool. I'm no DIY pro. But I can do things but just like to have the process cleared up.
So thank you

Back