Cable Starting out

SteveMc

Hi there, have a few things to run by you.

I currently have Vermin broadband/phone (Vivid 100 package). I don't rate them at all and would love to cancel, but we can't fix a dish where we are, so we're stuck with them if I want any sort of TV coverage. I do have a roof aerial, but that needs reseating/replacing, and for the money involved I'd rather go with a receiver.

I've chosen the zgemma H2H, basically because it's needed for Vermin, also because it will come in handy should we ever manage to install a dish.

I did look at the H2H boxes already set up with 24 month gifts/lines but after reading so many posts/comments on here, decided against that and want to do it myself. I've seen the sponsor link and will be buying from there.

From what I've read, I know I'll need a few things to get started, can you confirm?

1 - Webro HD100 cable - chose this as it's rated high and need cable because we never had Vermin TV installed.
Would you recommend I replace all cable coming from the wall box to router cable with this too? I believe the cable used by Vermin is pretty basic and it's only a couple of meters, so it's no big deal if it will improve the signal. I'll be running about 11-12 meters to receiver, will this be OK?

2 - A 2-way Splitter - am I right in thinking that this is set up like this? wall box > small amount of cable > 2 way splitter > cable to router > cable to zgemma?
Do I need a certain type of splitter, or are they all basically the same?

3 - Some F-type connectors and an f to coax adapter for the receiver.

4 - USB stick or external HDD with its own power source.

After the equipment side of things, onto the fun stuff...

5 - Choose an image; I'll need some recommendations for Vermin please.

6 - Not sure what I'll be able to view when the image is flashed. Would this give me FTA channels or just the standard 5? If I've got it right, you have to subscribe to their smallest package get all the FTA with Vermin.

7 - Find a reliable line; not sure if I'll be after L or N and what to ask for, or if it matters where I'm located in the UK?

8 - Not actually sure what the line offers; is it IPTV, VOD, FTA? Pretty confused with that aspect, any info would be great.

Sorry for all the questions, hope some of you have the time to help.

Last edited:
1) The standard VM cable is actually decent quality - although the HD100 is better quality. I'd use it for your new cables, but wouldn't worry about using it to replace everything else.
2) You need a 5-1000MHz type one (Sat ones typically go to 2400MHz). A recommended link to buy from is here: 1 x Coax Splitter Digital TV Satellite Cable Virgin, kryptview, Q5 - GENUINE | eBay
3) Yup - all standard VM connections use f type, but the H2H needs a coax adapter on top of that
4) Personal preference. I don't record much, so I use a 64GB MicroSD.
5) I have my own VM only image - it's stickied at the top of this section
6) Standard 5 only without a line. You don't have to subscribe to a TV package to get a signal, as long as the feed into your house is live. Broadband only is good enough.
7) There's a request a line thread here: http://www.techkings.org/general-cable-tv/59334-recommend-good-cable-pay-server-request-only.html
8) The line will just offer access to the cable channels. You'll need to setup IPTV

1) The standard VM cable is actually decent quality - although the HD100 is better quality. I'd use it for your new cables, but wouldn't worry about using it to replace everything else.
2) You need a 5-1000MHz type one (Sat ones typically go to 2400MHz). A recommended link to buy from is here: 1 x Coax Splitter Digital TV Satellite Cable Virgin, kryptview, Q5 - GENUINE | eBay
3) Yup - all standard VM connections use f type, but the H2H needs a coax adapter on top of that
4) Personal preference. I don't record much, so I use a 64GB MicroSD.
5) I have my own VM only image - it's stickied at the top of this section
6) Standard 5 only without a line. You don't have to subscribe to a TV package to get a signal, as long as the feed into your house is live. Broadband only is good enough.
7) There's a request a line thread here: http://www.techkings.org/general-cable-tv/59334-recommend-good-cable-pay-server-request-only.html
8) The line will just offer access to the cable channels. You'll need to setup IPTV

Thanks for the response, Biohead.
Copy that on 1-7, still a bit confused with 8
When you say access, I'm taking it that that means full access with no further worry, is that right?
Also, with the IPTV, how do I go about setting that up, easy enough or more worry?

Thanks a lot, Biohead. :)
I did post a reply last night, needed a mods approval, not sure what that's about. I'd been out with the gf so can't remember what i said now, lol.
I've just ordered one, I'm sure I'll be back for more help when it arrives.

Back