Cable Strange network issues - OpenATV 6.1

davejee

I am on the latest version of OATV and have a strange (seemingly) network issue.

I usually fstab/cifs to my windows share. This has been fine for some time but I recently accidentally flashed my box (had a zgemma folder on the usb and the black button got stuck down ffs). I rebuilt it from fresh which didnt take long.
The issue is, I can no longer connect to my network share.
Symptoms:
When adding the mount via the GUI, the box sits there for over a minute saying words to the effect of "updating network mount" but the mount has a red X on it.

Adding the mount manually via fstab doesnt seem to do anything

When i ssh to the 7c box, I am able to ping the windows box. I cannot telnet to the rdp port 3389 , I have tried this 3389 test with other windows boxes and the results are all the same. The prompt just hangs there, I do not get any refused and timeout returns.

I can connect to the box on port 80 with no issues, and I can ssh/telnet which proves I can connect IN to the box. Seems to be outgoing.
My hosts file is still default too.

Anybody else had similar issues ?
My next thing is to flash the box to a fresh image. I dont have any plugins like the firewall etc and

Check samba is enabled on box, it's in the network settings menu
Yea its enabled and running.
Thinking I need a fresh image or something. Never had this before. When network browser finds find the device in the list and select it, I'm not prompted to use any creds like I am with my laptop. It just does nothing.
I have a 192.168.0.0/24 rule in my windows firewall and have also tried disabling it with same results. Even though I dont think its a windows issue, still ruled it out.

OK. Solved this issue!!!! eventually !!!!

This has had my brain frazzled for weeks.
I tried:
removing dhcp reserve to get new IP
adding additional firewall rules
disabling firewall rules
I even formatted windows last night
ALL of this gave me the same results

The issue was, Windows was able to connect to an SMB but linux based wasn't.
So i started testing on my android box. Kodi failed with timeout issues, didnt even seem to try to athenticate.
So, I got ES File Explorer. This did a LAN discovery, found the workgroup and windows device. When I selected it, it said I needed SMB2.0 installing.. This was the best lead I had. Did some googling and read about SMB 2.0 and 1.0 etc

Sooooo , I went to add/remove programs (appwiz.cpl) , went to Turn Windows Features on and SMB/CIFS 1.0 legacy server wasn't enabled !!!
Enabled, rebooted and booom, all working
Took me 2 reinstalls of different builds to get this far though.

So it seems that Windows 10 1709 has a default setting of SMB/CIFS 1.0 server disabled. I have never ever needed to enable this in all my years of IT.

EDIT:
Just tried to add tags CIFS and SMB as I won't be the only person with this issue, but they don't exist so I can't added them.

Back