Switched to Sky Broadband

bangord30

TK Veteran
Hi All

I recently left TT and moved to Sky(I still have a basic sky sub so my box connected to my router, as well as my zGemma!) but I have a support issue.

I take if I send them anything or they come online/investigate in anyway they'd see the zGemma?? What about on old logs?? They probably know already knowing my luck! :)

The issue is that my WAN is rebooting every day or sometimes every 2/3 days which isn't as bad. It was rock solid with TT though for all we say about them! I take it I need a profile change but don't want to arouse suspicion!

Thoughts re the problem and contacting sky???

Last edited:
What if you are using the zgemma for streaming from youtube or kodi,perfectly ok to have your box connected so no problems there

Cheers Leslie, true. I might just disconnect it before phone them in case but I suppose it could show in old logs.

Its sky's DLM optimising your line, it will go on for 10 days, they will be something about it in your new paperwork, sporadic reboots will cause it to kick in again and drop your speed until it sees no dis-connections.

Lets just say for example---I'm a member on this site but actually work for the Murdoch mafia [never].
and you have just asked this question--well I now have your username and within a few minutes got your ip and no problem to get your e-mail, are you still worried?
Contrary to popular thinking, this is still a free country and you can hook up to any gadget via your broadband and you have hooked up a fta sat box--not illegal
An obscure tap at the door and my boxes revert to freesat.
Reaper.

Its sky's DLM optimising your line, it will go on for 10 days, they will be something about it in your new paperwork, sporadic reboots will cause it to kick in again and drop your speed until it sees no dis-connections.

Cheers. I knew about this but has been over the 21 days now.

It will kick in if it sees frequent reboots or disconnectes, if its Fibre then it's BT's DLM, much more aggressive. It usually happens around 2 am but can be anytime, do you have noise on your landline?

I'm just broadband. It was so solid with TT though! This is about 2 meg faster so why maybe disconnecting. Do I just ask them for a profile change? I can post router stats later when I'm home! Thanks

If you can post them that would be good, you might need a profile change, lets see the stats first

Forgot to say you can change the name of your box to whatever you want and that's what will show at router, mine are named box 1, box 2, etc.

On vix its
Menu, setup, system, network, mounts setup, mount manager, change hostname, call it what you want and save, reboot router and box.

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 22011 kbps 1252 kbps
Line Attenuation 13.5 dB 8.5 dB
Noise Margin 3.0 dB 6.6 dB

The 3.0 snr could be the issue as it drops off, some routers are better than others at holding on, phone them and ask for the 6.0 db profile and see if it improves or buy a better router

Cheers mate. Phoned them and they think they know what it is so I'm to give them a few days. They done some tests.

I could try my talk talk router yeah as that was rock solid surprisingly!

And great suggestion re the renaming the hostname!

I must admit the sly adsl tech support is very good, you might lose a meg or 2 but a stable connection will "feel" faster, I find broadcom based routers "hold on" the best.

I must admit the sly adsl tech support is very good, you might lose a meg or 2 but a stable connection will "feel" faster, I find broadcom based routers "hold on" the best.
Can you suggest a router? And will it work on Sky?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I'm on cable now but its not easy to use your own router on SLy, you have to extract your username and password using wireshark, give them a couple of days to sort it out

Back