Test if VM point is live

nimdy

I have a H2S box, running a sat line happily until Sky stepped in and blocked the majority of channels. My house also has a cable point, but I don't know if it is live. If it is live, I'm thinking of getting a HMP-COMBO stick to plug into the sat box. I can then use the sat for Freesat channels and the cable for Virgin channels (when I buy a line of course). But I don't want to spend £50 for something if the line is not active.

When I had NTL at my parents house I could plug an FM radio antenna into the incomming connections to get FM versions of the channels. Does this method still work, or is there anything else I could use to check to see if the connection is live?

Thanks.

I know a few years ago you could just put a standard rf connector onto the end of the line straight into a tv and receive the standard 1-5 sd channels but not 100% sure if that way works anymore etc

Only sure way would be to get hold of a c/s box or tivo box and plug in to scan for channels etc some tvs are fitted with a dvb-c cable tuners if your lucky :(y):

Last edited by a moderator:
Plug the cable into a VM router, wait for the lights to settle, if the middle light is out your disconnected, if its on your OK

I think you'd be better stretching a bit and just buying a cheapish cable box for not much more than £50

Are you ROI, by any chance? If so plug that lead into back of TV, and scan for channels, you should get about 16 channels.

The cheap box trick is right.

I had an old ntl cable connection box I hadn't used for about 8 years. When satellite went t!ts up I bought a cable tuner for my box, rigged up a lead and tested the ntl box......hey presto, all cable channels (except premiums).

Just needed to buy a prem line and it was all there.

Not bad from a defunct line!

Back