The not so secret project - teaser

don't mention beer today. :dump: (y). Still struggling from Friday and Saturday.

Last edited:
kiddac nice one mate. Sorry I am late in catching up with this thread as I online mostly on tapatalk the past few weeks. The skin look awesome.

I take it you had a rough time with the selection bars with curvy corners. Its very frustrating with enigma2. It wont look great with some menu with the curvy edges select bars.

You should have kept the movie selection screen just as the original VM with the description and channel logo on the right. Just as I had done mine. That way it looks proper. But I guess you had to compromise. With me I just like to copy how the originals looks like that is the reason why I do them skin in the 1st place.

Has come out very nice. Better than the one I did. I will in time get back to VM skins and have a play to beat yours... (Just Kidding).

Will do it so as the Pli community can have an almost near match to yours...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

good start to the day... bricked my box.... grrrr
Never assume things are going to go to plan...

it's alright I am back in the game. After a reflash I was still boot looping. Talk about needle in a haystack. One of my screens was missing a space in the code that is all. Found it now.

This is going to be a long day. Just tried backing up my settings and then restoring my settings and that has now boot looped my box. Reflash number 2.

Last edited:
Bit off a blip in the matrix. Ended up with a severe fever during the night. So feel like crap today. But in between my sweats and shivers I am still planning on a release today. As mentioned yesterday I was having severe trouble with vix on my machine. After the 3rd time in the space of a few hours vix completely bricked my box, I gave up on it in the end. I think I just about finished the vix menu screens. But I can amend them in the future if need be. No point in delaying while keep reflashing with that junk. I will post my new skin in the 2s section (that's my home) but put a link in here and general satellite section.

Last edited:
Going to test tonight ace job kiddac!!!!

---------- Post Merged at 07:30 PM ----------

PS - as promised, bought you a beer! Nice work!

---------- Post Merged at 07:41 PM ----------

Bloody awesome job! Love it, looks amazing - just shown the wife and she approves too! Well deserved beer mate!

Looking forward to a new update from DSayers2014 with the latest Vix and this combined! Awesome work!!

well done mate. it looks very nice. is it very hard to make a skin?? would love to give it ago. might do some research. then again how long are you at this one?

thanks....

Is it hard to make a skin?

Well it certainly helps if you are a graphic designer as you will probably be doing a lot of mockups in photoshop.
It also helps if you have some programming knowledge as you might need to cross reference some of the python files to see exactly what you can and can't do on a particular screen.

It isn't like designing a website. Each screen might have its own individual elements that might be named completely random. There is poor standardisation between some of the screens.

The way we all start, is by picking a good base skin, and start experimenting with different graphics, moving things around etc etc. Ideally you should start with the default skin on your box. As you can pretty much guarantee all the code is correct with all the correct elements.

The Default skin lives here

/usr/share/enigma2
skin.xml
skin_default.xml

It isn't that hard once you get your teeth into it. But I am not going to lie. It's very time consuming. Slyk (which was my first skin), took me 3 months solid while I was learning how to do this. Vskin took me about 8 weeks just plodding along with no particular rush during the evenings. There will be lots and lots of restarting your box to see what things look like. Lots of times you will crash your box and will have to backtrack the work you have just done.

This Vskin I have left a lot of my helper comments in the code and also I have grouped my files into smaller files rather than just having one big skin.xml. So that coupled with the default skin are good starting points for anyone wanting to get involved in skinning. The more the merrier.... as I have retired. ;)

Last edited:
Back