The Only Secure Password Is the One You Can’t Remember

ferguj1

Super Duper Modulator
Staff member
Let's assume you log onto a bunch of different websites; Facebook, Gmail, eBay, PayPal, probably some banking, maybe a few discussion forums, and probably much, much more. Consider a couple of questions:

1. Do you always create unique passwords such that you never use the same one twice? Ever?
  2. Do your passwords always use different character types such as uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers and punctuation? Are they "strong"?

If you can't answer "yes" to both these questions, you've got yourself a problem. But the thing is, there is simply no way you can remember all your unique, strong passwords and the sooner you recognize this, the sooner you can embrace a more secure alternative.
Let me help demonstrate the problem; I'll show you what happens when you reuse or create weak passwords based on some real world examples which should really hit home. I'll also show you how to overcome these problems with a good password manager so it's not all bad news, unless you're trying to remember your passwords.

Continue Reading Here

This is a very good article and something I think we could all benefit from. (y)

There's a whole lot of reading in there Ferg, must get around to it sometime soon. 1password for android and for Laptop, google is your friend (y)

Last edited:
Another good source for passwords and info-

A strong password:
  • has at least 15 characters;
  • has uppercase letters;
  • has lowercase letters;
  • has numbers;
  • has symbols, such as ` ! " ? $ ? % ^ & * ( ) _ - + = { [ } ] : ; @ ' ~ # | \ < , > . ? /
  • is not like your previous passwords;
  • is not your name;
  • is not your login;
  • is not your friend’s name;
  • is not your family member’s name;
  • is not a dictionary word;
  • is not a common name;
  • is not a keyboard pattern, such as qwerty, asdfghjkl, or 12345678.

Code:
http://strongpasswordgenerator.com/

There's a whole lot of reading in there Ferg, must get around to it sometime soon. 1password for android and for Laptop, google is your friend (y)

There is a lot of reading there wheelo, but I thought it was definitely worthwhile, especially for those not so tech oriented folks. I have been using KeePass for a number of years.

Oh havent got time to read all that now lol!, i use lastpass and pay something like £1 per month to use on my portable devices. It generates passwords for you, should imagine its similar to 1password, so as long as you can remember your master one thats ok - well for most! i set it up for a friend but she cant remember her master pw - thankfully i logged it! :)

There is a lot of reading there wheelo, but I thought it was definitely worthwhile, especially for those not so tech oriented folks. I have been using KeePass for a number of years.

Is keepass A free app also? ? no it makes perfect sense to have a "MINDER" like this. interesting read.

Thanks for that one, Ferg, I have just downloaded the mobile and PC version, so now, I have to start inputting the rest of my accounts and changing passwords on them all, 4 down, don't know how many more to go.

Saved the database, now to try to get it onto my mobile, then have to change all my email apps on the Phone Grrr. A hassle, but will be worth it in the end.

See you all in a week when I am finished lol

then have to change all my email apps on the Phone Grrr.
why have you to to change everything?? i dont do anything. when i open a new account lastpass asked me if i want to save it and if i want it to generate a new password. If its an account i already have it just asks me if it wants to save my details - simples!

that's cos you have last pass, I don't. I really have fallen into the trap of the same password or a derivative of it for everything. Starting to do some internet banking, so decided its now time to get my act together.

wheelo we are all guilty of that over the years, bit like PIN numbers - so many people use the same 1 for everything, some of my passwords i had before lastpass and must admit not changed them, My internet banking login was set by them and changed as things progresses and you have to log in with certain things that cant be changed x

Back