Timeshift memory usage

dodgydino

How much room does timeshift need to function...I had time shift set up but had to turn it off after finding it eating away at my 32gb stick and left me with less than 1gb after eating away over 20gb......
I know i could do with more storage but just wondering how much it uses if you just let it run and run, Surely theres a cut off point and im obviously missing something.

Timeshift files should automatically be removed once you change channel, if they aren't there is a setting which needs changing.

1_0_1_1656_7E5_2_11A0000_0_0_0.jpg 1_0_1_1656_7E5_2_11A0000_0_0_0 (1).jpg

These are my settings which only allow for for one timeshift recording before being replace by the next. It checks every 15 minutes that there are no old ones and gives m 3 hours worth of timeshift on a channel.

Also upon testing, when you put your box in standby the timeshift stops and the file size no longer increases. When you bring the box out of standby they file size starts from 0.

Last edited:
Ok that's the info that I was looking for...
I had sucmnsee image on when I had the issue but this morning put your image on.....the main reason for this was the ability to easily update with openatvand not running vix which is more of a risk.
Great image you've created and made it so easy to set up with a great tutorial.
Thanks a lot you've helped a great many people.

Last edited:
wooshman - based on your settings - what i dont quite understand is, is the buffer deleted after 3 hours of timeshift?, so if you wanted to use timeshift immediately after the 3 hour mark, you wouldnt be able to rewind much, as the file is reset? On the basis you havent changed channel shouldnt you have a constant 3 hour rewind ability? Great work btw the way, very impressive.

I should say that Im currently using 2 16gb sd cards, one for recordings and one for timeshift, but intend to get biggers cards or use usb 2.5hd soon enough.

The timeshift on sly is a rolling 1 hour, or is it 2? but anyway, you can always go back up to x hours with sly unless you change channel and it starts again.

With OpenATV, I can only speak for this as it is all I know, it starts from the point of the channel starting and records 3 hours, or 4 or whatever you have set it to. At any time in that time slot you can go back to the very beginning. Anything after that and you an only go back to the start of the new 3 hours.

I have not fully played with timeshift, I just know that 3 or 4 hours is normally enough timeshift. You will sometimes get a message telling you about timeshift reaching the end which is the 3 hour duration. It will give you a enu to confuse the hell out of you and then what it does then is anyones guess. One option is "Just close this menu"... what happens to the timeshift then I don't know.

I will have to make time to play :-)

Cheers mate, adopting a rolling system I think or including that facility into a newer build would be great. It is yourself that does that kind of backend work?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Thats good info, my timeshift feature was filling my USB stick up and then stopped working. I have just used the settings as per the pics in this post so hopefully will solve my problem.

Back