Transfer to a Ext4 HDD from Windows PC

liam1983

Hi all, I know that in the endless hours of trawling this forum I have seen a suggestion for this but cannot find it now.

I ftp'd over some MP4 files to my HDD/Video folder last night and the H.2s played them like a dream, they were only 150-200MB and took around 5 mins each to transfer over the network, the HDD I have plugged in is USB 3 and so to transfer files by USB would be much faster.

Obvious problem is the HDD is Ext4 and so the computer cannot see it, anyone know of a solution, I searched the forum and could not find the original post so have to ask again sorry, also looked into Paragon but found bad reviews of that corrupting drive and PC.

Thanks

Not read yet but thanks, also am using your build now, did a Kiddac guide build originally which was great but switched, your instructions were very clear and easy to follow so thanks for that too.

See the time you've wasted asking the question, the FTP would have finished hours ago :)

Real answer for ext4 access - a Linux box

Although the above post doesn't really help you in any way shape or form except state the obvious, are you teccy enough to download VirtualBox and the ubuntu linux image? You could then run Ubuntu in a virtual machine yet have full access to the windows file system.

It is a bit overkill I know.

oooooh how about and I have not tested it.... can you put in a Fat32 drive into the front USB port and then use Dream Explorer on the box and copy stuff across? Might be worth the 2 mins finding a spare usb stick just to test.

See the time you've wasted asking the question, the FTP would have finished hours ago :)

HA Yes, this time it would but I intend to do this alot, thanks for the reply thogh ;0)

---------- Post Merged at 07:45 PM ----------

Although the above post doesn't really help you in any way shape or form except state the obvious, are you teccy enough to download VirtualBox and the ubuntu linux image? You could then run Ubuntu in a virtual machine yet have full access to the windows file system.

It is a bit overkill I know.

oooooh how about and I have not tested it.... can you put in a Fat32 drive into the front USB port and then use Dream Explorer on the box and copy stuff across? Might be worth the 2 mins finding a spare usb stick just to test.

I thought this with a SD card and reader as I have many, will try it tomorrow, thanks for the suggestion.

Yep should work on SD too. It is a lot of copying back and forth though vs FTP.

Can you see your box via your computer network and just copy it across that way? Yes it won't be fast fast, but vs copy to SD and then Dream Explorer it might be faster than both FTP and the SD method.

Back