Turning a dumb TV into a smart one

gazc87

Hi people,

I know this is not the correct place but I thought this is the closest forum to what I needed.

I watch a lot of video files on my TV via hard drive but I have bought a wd mycloud hard drive to save the messing about with wires. I would like to either turn my TV into a 'smart' one rather than spending a lot of money on something I don't really need.

Does anything like Roku/NowTV support DNLA or do any of you have any better suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

Try serviio. Should be just what you want.

No sorry maybe I didn't explain properly.

I am trying to find a way to turn a non-compliant TV into a DLNA compliant TV.

Maybe you would have been better off buying a WD TV Live?

You can also use an Xbox if you have one? See HERE:

DLNA is an industry-wide standard for sharing data over a home network.
Depending on the DLNA-compatible devices you own, you might be able to stream films from your laptop to your TV, play an MP3 stored on your phone over your hi-fi system, or print a photo from your tablet on your home printer.

DLNA stands for 'Digital Living Network Alliance'. It's a group of organisations, including many consumer electronics manufacturers, that has created a standard enabling all DLNA devices to share media over a home network.

If you have a router in your home, you'll most likely be able to link DLNA-compliant products across your home network. If your router is wireless (which most are these days), then you can do it all over wi-fi too.

However, it’s important to note that you won’t be able to add DLNA support to your existing devices. Tech products either have the feature built-in, or don’t support it at all.

Last edited:
Try serviio. Should be just what you want.

No sorry maybe I didn't explain properly.

I am trying to find a way to turn a non-compliant TV into a DLNA compliant TV.

Maybe you would have been better off buying a WD TV Live?

You can also use an Xbox if you have one? See HERE:

DLNA is an industry-wide standard for sharing data over a home network.
Depending on the DLNA-compatible devices you own, you might be able to stream films from your laptop to your TV, play an MP3 stored on your phone over your hi-fi system, or print a photo from your tablet on your home printer.

DLNA stands for 'Digital Living Network Alliance'. It's a group of organisations, including many consumer electronics manufacturers, that has created a standard enabling all DLNA devices to share media over a home network.

If you have a router in your home, you'll most likely be able to link DLNA-compliant products across your home network. If your router is wireless (which most are these days), then you can do it all over wi-fi too.

However, it’s important to note that you won’t be able to add DLNA support to your existing devices. Tech products either have the feature built-in, or don’t support it at all.

Cheers Gman well worth a look into...do you have one?

I use both actually & find they more than cover my needs.

My main TV is smart so handles streaming fine by itself. My bedroom TV is standard and uses the WD TV Live.

My sons bedroom TV is also standard and he streams everything through his Xbox.

I use both actually & find they more than cover my needs.

My main TV is smart so handles streaming fine by itself. My bedroom TV is standard and uses the WD TV Live.

My sons bedroom TV is also standard and he streams everything through his Xbox.

I have a PS4 so XBOX is not for me...I will take a look into the WD TV live.

Thanks people

Back