Updated to Grogbuild - a few questions

Gonch1980

Hi All,

After a year on Sucmnsee, I thought it might be prudent to flash something more up to date so flashed Grog build. All went smoothly and I really like the look and feel of it. Some of the remote functions have changed so will take a little while to get used to that.

I followed Grogs excellent instructions here

I have a few questions...

1. Any ideas on what size SD Card is required to swap the EPG and picon storage to (and maybe Timeshift)?

2. I was trying to get Timeshift and record to work, which it now does by following these instructions. (the section under Q. I want to add a larger hard drive (HDD) or USB to my Zgemma box.) Apart from I picked 2048 as I have 128GB USB Stick installed. Just wondered if those instructions are still the best way to go about it, no issues will be caused further down the line? What about movie organiser, has doing this broken it ???

3. Are there any particular requirements specifically for this build to enable you to record to remote drive/NAS

4. I have made a fourites bouqite by turning it on in the settings and populating it. Previously I had an HD only bouqet, and wondered if this was an option somewherein the settings?

5. What husbandry/maintenance is required to keep everything running at optimum. E.g. should I re-scan at certain intervals, should I carry out software updates via the built in menu?

Also just found you can change the settings so the Zgemma remote volume buttons controls your TV volume rather than the Zgemma volume. Menu - Setup - system - hdmi cec then select yes for Forward volume keys.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay I've been away for few days.

I have tried to answer below

Hi All,

After a year on Sucmnsee, I thought it might be prudent to flash something more up to date so flashed Grog build. All went smoothly and I really like the look and feel of it. Some of the remote functions have changed so will take a little while to get used to that.

I followed Grogs excellent instructions here

I have a few questions...

1. Any ideas on what size SD Card is required to swap the EPG and picon storage to (and maybe Timeshift)?
OK Picon folder is about 170mb
Code:
du -h /media/hdd/picon/
168.3M  /media/hdd/picon/

Epg.dat will vary depending on if you have both satellite and cable etc but on my boxes are about 7mb.

Timeshift is the big one, to be honest it wasn't something I considerred early on with this build as I had a 1tb hdd and it wasn't an issue but then a few people mentioned their usb stick was filling up fast. Check the settings for timeshift, Menu -> setup -> recordings and timeshift -> timeshift settings, scroll down to Timeshift buffer limit (In hours), the lower this is the less space it takes up, the same applies to the Timeshift last events limit. I originally had these set high but have reduced them. I can't tell you how big they are as I've not had the boxes on for a week until now so have no timeshift files.

Please remember, with my build, when the box is restarted (not just gui) then it checks for a picon folder on /media/hdd and if it doesn't exist it downloads the picons. If you move your picons to the sd card and its not mounted as /media/hdd then leave an empty /media/hdd/picon folder to stop picons from downloading each time the box is rebooted.
2. I was trying to get Timeshift and record to work, which it now does by following these instructions. (the section under Q. I want to add a larger hard drive (HDD) or USB to my Zgemma box.) Apart from I picked 2048 as I have 128GB USB Stick installed. Just wondered if those instructions are still the best way to go about it, no issues will be caused further down the line? What about movie organiser, has doing this broken it ???
USB stick normally goes in the back usb socket, and recording and timeshift should work from the start once the usb stick has been initialised and mounted as per my instructions, you haven't said what box you're using but apart from on the H4 I don't use a swap file.

3. Are there any particular requirements specifically for this build to enable you to record to remote drive/NAS
No, you can mount hour nas drive within the mount manager and then set the recording and timeshift paths to your nas path. Search the forum for setting up a nas drive and you should find full instructions.
4. I have made a fourites bouqite by turning it on in the settings and populating it. Previously I had an HD only bouqet, and wondered if this was an option somewherein the settings?
Menu -> Settings -> Service Searching -> AutobouqetsMaker -> Providers and scroll down to Virginb(UK: Generate HD Bouquets and set to yes and then press the green button. Now run scan and you should have your hd bouquet.
5. What husbandry/maintenance is required to keep everything running at optimum. E.g. should I re-scan at certain intervals, should I carry out software updates via the built in menu?
As normal, abm and epgimport updates automatically daily as long as the box is not left in standby.

Software updates are a funny old thing, do so at your own risk at the moment as some updates recently have messed other things up. I take the attitude if it aint broke don't fix. TBH I only software update every now and again so the build is uptodate(ish) or when there are issues such as epgimport changed all their feeds recently.
Also just found you can change the settings so the Zgemma remote volume buttons controls your TV volume rather than the Zgemma volume. Menu - Setup - system - hdmi cec then select yes for Forward volume keys.

Thanks
Hope that helps

Hi Grog,

Thanks for the reply that helps a lot. I'll have a play when I get home in a few weeks.

On a bit of a tangent..... I currently only have one box which is an H.2H purely on cable in one room, but just cancelled my Sky subscription that was in another room. So am wondering what you would recommend for another box to replace the Sky box. There is sat, cable, terrestrial, and LAN connections all available for it. Ideally the more tuners the better for recording (mainly of Freeview + UK Gold really). Also I've not ventured into IPTV yet, and I'm guessing for future proofing if it had this capability as well would make more sense.

Thanks

Hi Grog,

Thanks for the reply that helps a lot. I'll have a play when I get home in a few weeks.

On a bit of a tangent..... I currently only have one box which is an H.2H purely on cable in one room, but just cancelled my Sky subscription that was in another room. So am wondering what you would recommend for another box to replace the Sky box. There is sat, cable, terrestrial, and LAN connections all available for it. Ideally the more tuners the better for recording (mainly of Freeview + UK Gold really). Also I've not ventured into IPTV yet, and I'm guessing for future proofing if it had this capability as well would make more sense.

Thanks
If you have cable as well as sat feed in the room then I would go for a h5.2tc or similar, I would personally set it up to receive all cable channels and then the Sky FTA channels (and/or freesat), it would then give you 3 tuners allowing you to watch say a freesat channel while recording on the two cable tuners or visa versa.

The H4 is purely cable. It has triple cable only tuner, ie a DVB-C tuner rather than the DVB-T2/C Hybrid on the other boxes.

feel free to pm me if you want info on H4, H5.2tc and H7C, all triple tuner boxes but all different setups when it comes to connecting to the tuners

Thanks that is really good of you.

With your help I think I've got it sussed now. An H5.2tc connected for Freesat and VM is my best option, which also gives a little future proofing to use as a Freesat/Terestial Freeview combo should the worst happen.

Hi grog, I purchased a H7c box & flashed with your image. Done this a couple of weeks ago & all running sweetly until this week. With the audio issues that are happening I’ve tried some of the fixes suggested recently & most worked but I was still getting NAT on sly1HD. I done a software update the other day(now wishing I hadn’t lol) and since then I’ve been having recording issues. I’ve got sly & vm set up, so when I first set it all up I could record x2 vm & watch sly but now it doesn’t allow me to record x2 vm channels at the same time. It shows as both are recording but only one records & the other channel is black. Even if I record one vm & try to watch another vm channel it’s black screen. Any ideas why this is happening? Cheers mate [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back