USB confused

vuguy1

So, I put a USB stick with a .mvk and a .avi in to the front and it popped right up telling me to press 1 to view the USB, and I could play both files I had in there (although the text was very squashed - any idea how to ajust that?) however when I put in my external HDD which has lots and lots of .avi and .mkv files in folders, it never showed up and is not recognised on the system.

Any ideas?

I have not mounted as I was sure that would wipe the drive, as I had to do that when I installed the internal drive. I thought that since the USB was plug and play, that the ext hdd would be the same?

Thanks cactikid, i shall go do that now.

Can I ask if you know anything about the text issue too? It was far too close together and overlapping, that I could only see the top 1/3 of the title on each file.

In mount manager, i see Hard Disk (this is the internal) and USB: Expansion desk. Size unavailable. Mount non. Device /dev/sdb1. Type unavailable.

When I press blue to mount it says "mount failed" and when I press green to setup mounts, I select USB Expansion but then it wants to reboot. Then blue with same message.

edit: put wrong info down.

Last edited:
you might have to scan for devices connected to box to go from there,is external hdd powered externaly or just by usb?

It's mains power.

I think I have worked out the problem though.... NTFS and not FAT32.

I guess I need to go the long way around, back everything up, format to FAT32 and put everything back lol.

Finally got it to work. Huge thanks!!!

I just have one more issue. Right now, i have the folder set up as /media/usb/(folder name ie tv show, movies, etc)/name of file.mkv/avi - how can I put this in to a plugin or such, so when I press the blue (or green/yellow) button I can select my external HDD straight away?

I have went to the media one and it says no media, which is confusing as I do have files in there, but when I go to search manually for the route in ftp I see everything.

In the actual FTP it's /etc/media/usb/(then file name and show name)

when i press my files list on remote it will bring up my internal files,pressing yellow allows me to wander elsewhere to get files from another box on network and yours should be listed,not sure by access straight away as a few button presses needed.

Thanks for that, I set up a quick key on my logitech remote to access that panel which is not perfect as it does not go direct in to that folder but it's good.

The only one issue I have, has stumped me. I have tried the text size in the epg options, setup, looked in vix menu, can't find anywhere to solve this one... It just is not possible to read each menu without guessing what it is, and in each of those folders, are a lot of other video files.

Last edited:
I was hoping it was not but it is.... although, do you know of any skins that are similar in look to that Blue-HD one?

Thanks again for all your help

stayed away from skins as there were issues never moved from the default skin,there could be choices in th download plugins menu-skins

Back