USB or HDD for recordings and EPG?

Hi, apologies if this has been covered I just can't find an answer in the threads.

I have set up a few of these boxes for friends now but the problem I face is the EPG and recordings disappear once the box is powered down.i know your suppose to leave it in standby for the EPG etc but it's quite annoying not being able to power the box down (happens by accident sometimes). On my own box I didn't seek to have this problem as I'm not a big recorder and was only using a 16Gb sandisk which seemed to 'hold' it's EPG and recordings memory. When I set up the boxes for friends I used unbranded USB's which as soon as the box loses power they seem to 'unmount' themselves and need to be initialised again which in turn wipes the USB along with any data.

Many question is this, does this problem happen with branded USB memory sticks also? Is it better to use an external hard drive? If so should I go for a powered or on powered one, or does this matter? (I'm presuming it does matter)

thanks in in advance

As long as the drives are initialised correctly and swapfile set up.
Reboot.
Then manually dl the epg.
Press and hold power button on remote.
Select restart.
This seems to bed in the epg properly so itvshouldnt disappear.
For the pound or 2 difference in price buy branded.
I use 16gb kingstons for £5 off amazon. No problems.
But i have come across ur problem if the reboots at each stage arent done

---------- Post Merged at 10:00 AM ----------

Yes externally powered drives should be better

Thanks for the reply dude. Not sure if I didn't follow you correctly but just tried that and when I hit restart the EPG disappeared and it's not showing any storage devices mounted. It's a 128gb unbranded USB I got for £5.49 thought I bagged myself a bargain but not good for the task at hand.

Am I correct in saying that a powered drive won't lose my recordings if my electric ever knocks off?

Think im going to have to invest in an external powered one, I've a 1tb somewhere but has a lot of stuff on it I don't want to use when initialising.

Yeh saves to hdd so power outage ok.

I
Regards the usb, if it looks too good to be true........ Lol

Yeah thanks for the advise I usually go by that motto myself but my head loves the sound of a bargain so it's always a tough call...

Might sound like like a silly question but one more thing, I'm finding it hard to find an 240v plug powered external drive... And was thinking, would a USB powered one do the same job?

Yeah thanks for the advise I usually go by that motto myself but my head loves the sound of a bargain so it's always a tough call...

Might sound like like a silly question but one more thing, I'm finding it hard to find an 240v plug powered external drive... And was thinking, would a USB powered one do the same job?

I'm using a 1TB portable hard drive and it works faultlessly if that's any help.

and when your port burns out later you will know why then,i am using a 1tb and 2tb toshiba externally powered .

Couldn't agree more Cactikid and if the port doesn't die there's a fair chance the usb powered hdd will... Laptop drives aren't meant to be spinning 24/7 365. Mains powered are the way forward and will sleep when not in use. Alternative is a decent size branded flash drive. If anyone is still going to use a usb powered hdd check the current drawn by the drive against the info on the back of your zgemma. If the worst comes to the worst don't say you weren't warned!

looking at these 6tb bad boys lol

HTML:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=780&utm_source=WD%20Red%20redirect&utm_medium=collateral&utm_content=en&utm_campaign=product

Back