USB pen in zgemma H2S - onto third one??

Thanks steptoe, but i wouldnt feel comfortable booting a new os from dvd, as its my work computer and is connected to servers and networks that id be afraid of messing up. Thanks for the advice anyway.

It won't affect your PC in anyway,
It will only use the ram,
in fact , its how most HDD get recovered, (in a bit more complicated fashion)

ok, might give it a shot tonight when i get the time. Im not to worried about getting back the info that was on the usb, rather just want it working again. was really only recordings for the kids on it

Mine run through usb on box @steptoe that software you've posted link too I've got a 1tb hdd that's corrupt won't open so I can movies and music off it would that work for that

Mine run through usb on box @steptoe that software you've posted link too I've got a 1tb hdd that's corrupt won't open so I can movies and music off it would that work for that
Should do baz,
If you wait until I get home later I'll have a check and see what version has gParted by default.

sorry folks, forgot about this,
Ubuntu 9.10 has gParted by default to run from a LIVE DVD to re-format any pendrive in ext3/4 that windows cannot recognise,
download and burn to DVD, insert DVD into the drive and reboot PC
when your PC boots go to BIOS and set to boot from DVD/CD
select > try without installing
it will boot into Ubuntu . albeit a slower version as it is running from you DVD drive and RAM only,
you can still get internet access etc on it though, :)

@bazcfc1
if your PC can see the drive, try downloading ' photorec ' if its available for windows , it can recover most files from your external dish
do NOT try and save the recovered items to the same disc you are recovering from, it may [ WILL ] possibly overwrite the same file you are trying to recover
otherwise, use the above method with ubuntu, and insert another pendrive to download and run photorec to/from

sorry folks, forgot about this,
Ubuntu 9.10 has gParted by default to run from a LIVE DVD to re-format any pendrive in ext3/4 that windows cannot recognise,
download and burn to DVD, insert DVD into the drive and reboot PC
when your PC boots go to BIOS and set to boot from DVD/CD
select > try without installing
it will boot into Ubuntu . albeit a slower version as it is running from you DVD drive and RAM only,
you can still get internet access etc on it though, :)

@bazcfc1
if your PC can see the drive, try downloading ' photorec ' if its available for windows , it can recover most files from your external dish
do NOT try and save the recovered items to the same disc you are recovering from, it may [ WILL ] possibly overwrite the same file you are trying to recover
otherwise, use the above method with ubuntu, and insert another pendrive to download and run photorec to/from
It recognises it by me going into my pc on windows 10 but won't open up to get the files I'm after will try it tomoz as my computer in kids bedroom and thank you for the advice mate very much appreciated

Last edited:
It recognises it by me going into my pc on windows 10 but won't open up to get the files I'm after will try it tomoz as my computer in kids bedroom

if it can 'see' the disc,
photorec should be able to search it and recover the files
I cant see a download for windows as it keeps sending me to Ubuntu downloads, as thats what I have on my PC, lol

if it can 'see' the disc,
photorec should be able to search it and recover the files
I cant see a download for windows as it keeps sending me to Ubuntu downloads, as thats what I have on my PC, lol
Its ok mate I will try whats worst what could happen apart from it not work lol

Its ok mate I will try whats worst what could happen apart from it not work lol
ye, lol
give it a go,
if it works you will realise just how much more powerful Ubuntu is, PHOTOREC is a good tool, I've used it loads of times for friends crashed HDDs
it can read and write to all popular windows formats , and more, even MAC , but neither can access all the formats useable by Linux/Ubuntu

ye, lol
give it a go,
if it works you will realise just how much more powerful Ubuntu is, PHOTOREC is a good tool, I've used it loads of times for friends crashed HDDs
it can read and write to all popular windows formats , and more, even MAC , but neither can access all the formats useable by Linux/Ubuntu
I will post back tomoz once come back from fishing and tries it

Did you have any joy with this?

I've seen this issue many times and it's down to the drive being a solid state (basically a memory chip and not a disc and needle like the old hard drives)

They don't last long, they have a shelf life of so many read/write requests. You might not think you record much or maybe you do but time shift keeps your drive on constant record and increases the wear on your little pen.

Try and invest in a good mains powered drive I got a £70 one from maplin a Seagate 2tb. It will last a lot longer than your stick.

Webmaster at http://www.everydaytips.co.uk

Back