Use Windows HOSTS File To Protect Your System

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
What Is The HOSTS File?

The Hosts file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. This file is loaded into memory (cache) at startup, then Windows checks the Hosts file before it queries any DNS servers, which enables it to override addresses in the DNS. This prevents access to the listed sites by redirecting any connection attempts back to the local (your) machine. Another feature of the HOSTS file is its ability to block other applications from connecting to the Internet, providing the entry exists.

Simply put: The HOSTS file is just a txt file containing a set of instructions which is read by Windows at startup.

Which versions of Windows does this post cover?

This article is applicable to Win 2K, XP, Vista and Windows 7

If I follow the instructions here what will it do for me?

This post is designed to make your HOSTS file block thousands of known parasite and add forcing sites from both displaying and infecting your system.

It will do the following

1. Rename your existing HOSTS file

2. Copy a new HOSTS file (containing all the needed entries) to your system

That's it! It really is as simple as that.

Is it safe to deploy this?

Absolutely. Remember this is just a txt file containing a list of known bad sites and is replacing your existing HOSTS file while leaving the original one (renamed to HOSTS.MVP) in the same directory as the new one. You can revert to your original at any time should you wish to. The file(s) location is

Windows 7/Vista/XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

MVPS HOSTS now includes most major parasites, hijackers and unwanted Adware/Spyware programs!

What do I need to get this on my system?

You need to download THIS file to your machine

Once I have the file how do I install it?

1. Extract the RAR file to a location of your choice.

2. For 2K and XP users simply run (double click) the mvps.bat file.

3. For Windows Vista, right-click on "mvps.bat" and select: Run as Administrator Next: double-click on "mvps.bat" and let the file back-up your existing and then update your HOSTS file

4. For Windows 7, Simply locate the "hosts.zip" file you downloaded, by default it should be located in your "User" Download folder.
Highlight the file (single-click) then right-click and select > Extract All from the menu ...

Next: Make sure there is a check in the "Show extracted files when complete" option

Next: right-click the installer "mvps.bat" and select: Run as Administrator (see below)

Ok the UAC prompt and the batch file will run ... which will backup the existing HOSTS file (HOSTS.MVP) then copy the updated HOSTS file to the proper location. You should see a completed prompt (press any key) and that's it ...

Note: if prompted by one of your Security programs about this file, allow it to run. Also if
you are prompted by a Security program about changes to the HOSTS file = allow them.

Techkings Helping You Stay Safe! (y)

For an in-depth insight to this excellent method of protecting your system you can visit the authors site.

Home of the MVPS HOSTS File

Back