Using a dual cable tuner - classed as mutli-room?

YonyY

I'm thinking of installing a dual cable tuner on my VU+ Duo2.

If I'm, say, recording one programe and watching another would I be classed by my server as using multi-room?

Or as it's the same IP and device would it not show up at his end?

Or, if I have two cable N lines set up from two different servers will the box utilise them both when both tuners are being used, so sidestepping the multi-room problem.

No afaik if you're using both tuners on the same box, the box itself only sends out one ip, so probably won't show up at the other end. The box would only use one line. The only way you could configure it to use both lines is by using the oscam softcam.

I would have a word with the person you got your line from and see what they say.

I have no idea how the server and management software is setup but from seeing other software that is out there, i would think my theory may be similar....

I would imagine that your IP address doesn't have anything to do with accessing their servers as your ISP may refresh your IP every few weeks unless you ask for a static IP. Your box will also need to authenticate when accessing the servers which is why your config file contains your username and password.

Again, i don't know for sure but i would imagine that the line provider will have some sort of management software which will allow them to see who is connect to their servers and how many channels the person is accessing at any one time. there is probably inbuilt software that will flag up anyone using more lines than they should be.

2 tuners = 2 channels so if paying for one channel and using 2 may get you blocked.

Have a chat and see what the provider says. if its a case of you pay per tuner, they may be able to do you a deal!

Good luck and let us know how you get on :(y):

If I'm, say, recording one programe and watching another would I be classed by my server as using multi-room?

Or, if I have two cable N lines set up from two different servers will the box utilise them both when both tuners are being used, so sidestepping the multi-room problem.

If your using the one box then your line will be fine with twin, triple tuner. The problem is when you try and use the line on another box, this is when it will flag up and its highly likely that you wont be able to connect anyway as your line is being used.

I can see it going either way.

I assume that a server would have the ability to see which channel(s) is/are being watched. They could object if you're watching two.

Then again, you're pulling in no more CS info than normal by using more than one tuner (I would assume), so there's be no reason to look at what you're doing.

I can see it going either way.

I assume that a server would have the ability to see which channel(s) is/are being watched. They could object if you're watching two.

Then again, you're pulling in no more CS info than normal by using more than one tuner (I would assume), so there's be no reason to look at what you're doing.

I would personally speak to the person you get your line from. They will be able to advise you 100%!

Your line has a ecm limit set on it, so all depends on what it's set at.
There's still a lot of good servers around that stipulate one line one tuner.
Some of the cache exchange servers (hold no cards) can and do allow 1,2,3 tuners to connect to the server.
So to answer your question, you should be asking your supplier to confirm number of tuners and if allowed in more than one receiver.
If you have two lines or want to use two lines then oscam is way to go.
There's a couple of set up guides on how to do it.
On configuring oscam I find using the load balancer gets the best results especially if streaming channels to a fall back receiver or doing a lot of recording.

One box is one line in most cases, I don't know how it is checked on server but I have an 8 tuner box that only has one line installed. my h5.2tc has a single line for it's two tunes. It is no different as the sat twin boxes which only required one line.

Grog I would think that 8 tuner box would be classed as multi-room. Normally its down to 2 connections per line so if one box has 2 tuners then it should be fine anymore then that you would be best asking your supplier, I have one multroom sat line ( or as my supplier said an admin line) that I think allows upto four connections or maybe more im not sure then I brought my brother a single line and the servers can see how many connections are coming through the lines.

If in doubt ask your supplier and they will guide you

You may be right, I have a good relationship with my provider so maybe he's lenient but to be honest it's not often that I'm using more than 2 or 3 tuners at any one time:)

Depending on what software your server is using it will show up that u using multi tuners.
also the number of ecms you request will also show up.
but as has been said ask your provider.
From what i have heard most of the cable servers will charge it as multi-room line.

Back