Linux Using iTunes in a linux box

greensman

I LOVE TEXAS!!!
TK Supporter
Ok.. this is simple and difficult all in one little post..

I've downloaded and installed iTunes on my Ubuntu 10.10 machine and it will not work for some reason. I installed it with the help of a few tut's and it seems that the iTunes application is running but NOT really functional. If that makes any sense whatsoever... lol.

I used this tutorial for some reason and it sorta worked but as I said iTunes wouldn't work properly. I've thought of many reasons why it wouldn't but I'm not the best with software so help a poor Texan out please. lol. ;)

iTunes will start but not import music directly, it is sluggish for sure. I have about 378MB of RAM. For some reason the system is "using" a few MB of RAM to power itself... I have 512 installed. The machine is a P3 1.0GHz processor and with a ATi 9200 AGP 8X 128MB video card. I have smallish HDD's which can be switched out for sure so that's not an issue.. hell I even have another computer (P4) available for "upgrades"... ROFL

I'm NOT truly apposed to using Win XP on the P4 machine but I'm trying to get a super stable machine with simplicity for my boys to use that would have some features w/o the worry of a M$ OS and installing all those anti-virus progies and such. Just wanted to use Linux too.... been dieing to use it for years and thought why not.. ok enough rambling.. y'all have at it. ;)

da GM (greensman not that gMan fella... :p )

Add: the reason for all this BS is my children got a little surprise from Santa this year... the gift of frikkin iPod Shuffles... lol. :roll eyes:

Last edited:
Hey buddy, I am running Linux Mint on a virtual machine, but I have never tried i-tunes or done any research on it. Don't have any of them fancy new fangled music machines. But I will try and do some reading and research for you to see if I can come up with anything different than what you did.

Well did some more research and it seems I'll just install frikkin iTunes on my main machine and then transfer the music that way. I still believe that linux is the best option for the boy's computer as it's simple and will run on a machine with less than 2GB of RAM and a less than 2 cores... lol. ;)

From what I could decipher RhythmBox and Banshee would be the best alternatives to a "iTunes" type of media player.

hth... ;)

Back