Using Two Routers together?

jazz

Is it possible to use two wi-fi routers together i.e, your ISP's wifi/router and an additional router flashed to use a VPN?
The idea is to have a separate VPN secured network for an android TV box and an IPTV box.

You would have to put one of them into bridge mode and then you lose the settings for VPN. The router in bridge mode would then go through the other router which would have the option for VPN so it would be all or nothing if you had VPN set up on your router.
So no it cannot be done as far as I'm aware but would like to be proved wrong as this is something I have thought about myself would be good to do.

Is it possible to use two wi-fi routers together i.e, your ISP's wifi/router and an additional router flashed to use a VPN?
The idea is to have a separate VPN secured network for an android TV box and an IPTV box.

Unless you are with Virgin and has certain versions of their Superhub (which would not allow vpn passthrough unless the superhub is switched to modem mode and lose its wifi functionality), the answer is yes, and what you have described is in fact the best way to implement vpn, imho. It is what I have.

Essentially all you need to do is to connect the wan socket of the vpn router to one of the sockets on the ISP's router with an ethernet cable.

Cheers!

Ive got a netgear vpn router running through a vermin superhub2 with no issues, and i have both wi-fi`s available to use, so yes it is possible m8,

Last edited:
Will have to take another look into this then as I didn't assume this was possible....well certainly with VM as thats my ISP.

What i cannot get, is my web interface for the oscam that is running on my box, and i do believe that is down to my Netgear`s router`s local ip address, 110.100.100.xxx ,

You mean the router m8, yes the router is giving my box a 100.100.100.xxx range, and the vermin router is 192.168.x.x

So for you to be able to connect from one device to another you will have to be on the same network range that you want to connect to. So to connect to the web interface you will have to be on the same network range with the device you are trying to connect from.

Yes m8, if only it was that simple, i don't know the inn`s & outs of it, but ive tried everything apart from putting a new ip address on the Netgear router, it has been configured for me, and a vnp added to it, so the 100 ip address must be a security thing on the netgear router, so i do not want to change it, yes i can do it, but decided not to, as i do believe it to be a security thing ??

If you connect with a laptop for example via your netgear router does you laptop get the 100 addressing?

Ive got a netgear vpn router running through a vermin superhub2 with no issues, and i have both wi-fi`s available to use, so yes it is possible m8,
Still trying to get this setup working, what netgear router model are you using?

Set you second router as an access point (turn off DHCP) and plug it into one of the lan ports of your first router. Turn them both off then back on again and you are good to go.

If you want your second router to run a VPN make sure you get a decent spec'd one as it may struggle processing the encryption.

Back