Vauxhall Astra 1. SXi 16v problem

tedley

Heeeelp! My daughter has a 2003 Astra 1.6SXi 16v. The cam belt pulley failed causing the belt to slip, bending all the inlet valves. The head was repaired, new valves, head set, cam belt, pulleys etc . The car now burns oil at an alarming rate, and smokes like mad, particularly after starting up. It did not have this problem before the cambelt incident. Anyone got any ideas lease, as she has spent too much to scrap the thing.

Where the valve stem oil seals replaced during the rebuild, valves seated in correctly, where the pistons damaged? Compression test ok.
If it has more in the morning or after been left off for a while this can be classic valve stem oil seals

Have you taken it back to the mechanic that did the repairs and ask them?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I've not checked the compression yet, but hope to do so over the weekend. The guys who did the job reckon that the problem is common on Astra 1.6 16v cars after doing this type of head repair - something about increased compression. I don't understand that unless the head was skimmed. Also how would increased compression get oil into the combustion chambers if the valves and stem seals are ok. Am I right in thinking that if the bores or rings are worn this may cause the burning of oil and the smoke, but this would result in low compression. There seems to be some contradictions here. I think a compression test is probably the first thing and see what that shoews up if anything. Thanks again

Hi, mmmm your right, some contradictions, worn rings or bores would cause burning oil too but reduced compression I would think? Still looks like the valve stem oil seals, can you remove the rocker cover and look for yourself and see if their new?

problem is many cars when taking off head and putting it back together your rings might have gone dry and burn more oil.this happened on my old micra 1988 and you had to do rings or car would be smokey burning oil which it was after.be very surprised if head overhaul not removed valve oil seals to allow valves to be ground in .when car is running slowly remove oil cap is it blown out of the way because of high pressure or no venting from stuffed breathers?

Back