viewing from outside network

Just a couple of points,

VM Superhub does NOT support DDNS, however both DynDNS and no-ip have a little PC client that you can run on your PC that will update DDNS with your public IP address. Check on their website for the download.

Good news is that depending on your area, your public IP address shouldn't be changing much. I've had mine for over 18 months now. I don't even bother with DDNS service, I just have a note of my IP. To get your public IP address just go to Google and type in 'what is my IP'. If you are on VM its likely to be 82.x.x.x

I would REALLY recommend changing the port used to access the web interface for your box. Port 80 is commonly scanned and I suspect most of you haven't set a password, you just looking for your box and potentially internal network getting hacked. To change the port go to menu -> settings -> plugins Select Webif and under its setting you can change the port. You can pretty much use any port but between 9000 and 10000 is good. Port forward the new port on your router as well. Now when you want to access the web interface either internally or externally just use http://82.x.x.x:yyyyy where 82.x.x.x is your public IP and yyyyy is the new port number.

Just a couple of points,

VM Superhub does NOT support DDNS, however both DynDNS and no-ip have a little PC client that you can run on your PC that will update DDNS with your public IP address. Check on their website for the download.

Good news is that depending on your area, your public IP address shouldn't be changing much. I've had mine for over 18 months now. I don't even bother with DDNS service, I just have a note of my IP. To get your public IP address just go to Google and type in 'what is my IP'. If you are on VM its likely to be 82.x.x.x

I would REALLY recommend changing the port used to access the web interface for your box. Port 80 is commonly scanned and I suspect most of you haven't set a password, you just looking for your box and potentially internal network getting hacked. To change the port go to menu -> settings -> plugins Select Webif and under its setting you can change the port. You can pretty much use any port but between 9000 and 10000 is good. Port forward the new port on your router as well. Now when you want to access the web interface either internally or externally just use http://82.x.x.x:yyyyy where 82.x.x.x is your public IP and yyyyy is the new port number.

in no-ip.com do i put in the local ip of the device i.e. 192.168.0.x and the client shows the external visible one.
thats how ive set mine now, but i dont think it updates my local ip when it changes...

also can't anyone access via that ip adress (external) isnt that an ip that is general for the area/street or is really isolated for the end user....

Just a couple of points,

in no-ip.com do i put in the local ip of the device i.e. 192.168.0.x and the client shows the external visible one.
thats how ive set mine now, but i dont think it updates my local ip when it changes...

also can't anyone access via that ip adress (external) isnt that an ip that is general for the area/street or is really isolated for the end user....

IP address is 110% absolutely unique to you, not the street or area. What you will find is that you and your neighbors will have a similar IP address, e.g. 82.101.32.64 and your neighbors might be 82.101.32.65 Its to do with subnets but don't worry about that right now.

DNS is like an address book. Remember that you need an IP address to know where to connect to.

So for example if you wish to connect to google, you don't type in http://12.34.24.21 for example you type in Google Google is much easier to remember plus if google decides to change their IP address you they can update the address book and you don't to know about that.

So DNS does is hold a record of Google IP address is 12.34.24.21

With no-ip, you can create your own web address (e.g. jsmith.no-ip.com) and no-ip will store your public IP address (the 82.x.x.x) for you. So when anybody types in jsmith.no-ip.com no-ip will direct them to your home network. The DYNAMIC part of DDNS means that YOU can update your public ip address on no-ip DNS server on the fly. If you use a web browser to log into the no-ip website, it knows your public IP address from your web request and updates their records according.

The problem you may get is that virgin media can change your public IP address when they want, you won't know this has happened until you try jsmith.no-ip.com and the connection does not work. What entering your no-ip details into the router does is automatically keeping no-ip updated with your public IP address. You can achieve the same thing by either periodically logging onto the no-ip website from a PC at home network or run the no-ip client which will keep no-ip DNS server updated.

As I mentioned, you may not need the services of no-ip because your public IP address does not change that frequently and you can just enter 82.x.x.x address into your web browser when your outside of home network. Note that 82.x.x.x will NOT work when you are at home, use the 192.168.x.x address when you are at home.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Just a couple of points,

IP address is 110% absolutely unique to you, not the street or area. What you will find is that you and your neighbors will have a similar IP address, e.g. 82.101.32.64 and your neighbors might be 82.101.32.65 Its to do with subnets but don't worry about that right now.

DNS is like an address book. Remember that you need an IP address to know where to connect to.

So for example if you wish to connect to google, you don't type in http://12.34.24.21 for example you type in Google Google is much easier to remember plus if google decides to change their IP address you they can update the address book and you don't to know about that.

So DNS does is hold a record of Google IP address is 12.34.24.21

With no-ip, you can create your own web address (e.g. jsmith.no-ip.com) and no-ip will store your public IP address (the 82.x.x.x) for you. So when anybody types in jsmith.no-ip.com no-ip will direct them to your home network. The DYNAMIC part of DDNS means that YOU can update your public ip address on no-ip DNS server on the fly. If you use a web browser to log into the no-ip website, it knows your public IP address from your web request and updates their records according.

The problem you may get is that virgin media can change your public IP address when they want, you won't know this has happened until you try jsmith.no-ip.com and the connection does not work. What entering your no-ip details into the router does is automatically keeping no-ip updated with your public IP address. You can achieve the same thing by either periodically logging onto the no-ip website from a PC at home network or run the no-ip client which will keep no-ip DNS server updated.

As I mentioned, you may not need the services of no-ip because your public IP address does not change that frequently and you can just enter 82.x.x.x address into your web browser when your outside of home network. Note that 82.x.x.x will NOT work when you are at home, use the 192.168.x.x address when you are at home.

Hopefully this makes sense.

yes it does... few more questions

for example if my ip is 192.168.0.2 on my macbook and i have plex (32400 port)

in my superhub i put in the ip of my macbook with the port i want opened in this instance 32400) and when i log into plex, it shows its available to be reached outside network
if i don't put in my macbook local ip, its says its unavailable

in no-ip again i have just put the macbook local ip and named it for example wakkaday-noip.com and i am running the dns client which shows my public ip address. when you read guides about this, it says the dns client wil automatically update any ip change, however sometimes when i need to reboot my router, my local ip of macbook may change for example to 192.168.0.6 and then plex it says is not reachable and i need to to do edit the port forward and ip address in the superhub settings. i assumed the dns client i installed would update it...

i will have a go now of accessing my box / plex outside my network using my local ip...

thanks for the advice/guide

In no-ip, you need to entering your Public IP, as I said if you are accessing no-ip website from home it will automatically pick up you public ip.

As for your macbook, your internal address shouldn't really change unless you run out of addresses. The DHCP server remembers the MAC address of the network card and will keep assigning it the same address unless it runs out. I think the. default on a superhub is 100 addresses are allocated to DHCP. Where it may change is if you are switching between wifi and ethernet as they are two different MAC addresses.

Ideally you want to assign the MacBook a static address outasde the DHCP range of your router. Check YouTune for instructions. That way you don't have to worry about your port forwarding needing updating.

I know its not an ideal scenario but i have managed to watch a stream from my zgemma over the internet using teamviewer. remoted onto a pc on my home network and opened a live stream from my zgemma on my home pc using the zgemma's ip in the browser. its not great quality but it works ok and with sound.

im going to work in dubai on thursday for a week and at least now i can watch the footie :)

Last edited:
Hi

I have managed to set everything up but the app runs picture freezes is that my internet or the app

I'm running it over a 12mb upload n my home connection to my 4g phone and SD playback works fine however HD can stutter. I believe this more to be an issue with transcoding capabilities of the zgemma rather then internet though its hard to so.

Team viewer is an option but you are definitely better off trying to play it back directly from the box if possible.

Great guide, thanks Andrew28Flan

For those on Android I recommend Dreamdroid (Free) or (Dream EPG £5.99)

Both stream, set timers, epg and are remote controls.

If you have your own VPN then you can connect to your home network and just use your Zgemma's IP.

Great guide, thanks Andrew28Flan

For those on Android I recommend Dreamdroid (Free) or (Dream EPG £5.99)

Both stream, set timers, epg and are remote controls.

If you have your own VPN then you can connect to your home network and just use your Zgemma's IP.

Dreamdroid is good and it supports profiles so you can one setup for when you are at home and one for when you are on public internet.

I guess by VPN, you are talking about setting up VPN on your router and connecting to that.

Sorry I should have been clearer. Yes I have a Synology Nasbox which lets me use OpenVPN, very reliable, never been disconnected once.

Sorry I should have been clearer. Yes I have a Synology Nasbox which lets me use OpenVPN, very reliable, never been disconnected once.

I would have thought the VPN bit would have been on your router, not internal device. I don't know if your NAS is using uPnP to configure your router.

I would have thought the VPN bit would have been on your router, not internal device. I don't know if your NAS is using uPnP to configure your router.

Most half decent routers do have a VPN option but my Nasbox has a VPN app and just needed port 1194 open.

Streaming the zgemma over 3G with virgin

any chance of help setting this up via teamviewer i have a virgin router

Vm guide pal if you haven't already done it.
1. Make sure you have openwebif installed
2. Log on to the router and forward ports 80 and 8001 assuming your using the defaults, these need to be associated with the IP address of the box.
3.Download the app of choice. I use black box. The settings are your external ip for the address, 80 for the web port and 8001 for the streaming, zap mode - multi tuner, cache 5000ms, username - root, password - blank.
4. I have these options selected
Enable fallback receiver. Yes
Descramble streams. Yes
Authenticate streams. No
Hope this helps as I torn my hair out with the Dmz sending the box in to a constant loop and the super hub has no ddns.

Good write-up, one thing I would recommend from a purely security perspective is that you may not want to put your Zgemma box in the DMZ (that is add its IP to your router as the DMZ address). This effectively says 'Connect this box to the internet at large, bypass the routers firewall'. However this means you've allowed anyone in the internet to access your box via SSH, FTP etc. so unless you've changed to a good password (or better, public keys if you know how to do this) a knowledgeable naughty boy could come along and snag your gift details, for example (and more, even trash the box if they wanted).

the solution is pretty straightforward. Instead of adding your box IP to the DMZ, configure two 'PORT FORWARDS' - one for port 80 and one for port 8001. Now you are only letting people on the internet speak to your web interface and streaming port. Still not super secure but if you've got passwords on it, it should be good enough.

Have a Google for how ot set up a port-forward if you don't know already. there's actually a site out there dedicated to it, with how-tos for most home routers.

Andrew28Flan,

Thanks very much for your tutorial, it has opened up more possibilities with my Zgemma H2S

Mike

Back