Virgin Medial broadband drop out

Have had VM basic package installed and want to run my Mutant HD51 in conjunction with it to pick up those channels which I am not subscribed to on VM. I have swapped the VM 2 way splitter for a 3way splitter and get a good signal to both the Tivo and the Mutant. Unfortunately whereas the VM broadband speed should be 100mbps, it has dropped to less than 2mbps. All the connections are good and wondering what has happened. Any ideas as to why and how to overcome the problem?
TIA.

PS the attached picture is the 3way splitter i purchased.

F-type Screw connector splitter for Virgin Cable 5-2450 MHz 3 ways-l1600.jpg

Try using the correct splitter
5-1000mhz tratec (this is what VM use)

If your using cheap crappy leads as well this will cause a problem.
You should be using decent quality pure copper core cable, double or triple sheilded.
Even so called "gold plated crap from Amazon" don't work.
Make the cables your self

appreciate the very quick response. Ok, will get a 5-1000 splitter. Cables are the ones VM installed, apart from the third cable to the Mutant. This is one I picked up from a local installer which was going spare. I will replace this with a decent RG59 cable then. Hope this will work. Again, thanks.

Try using the correct splitter
5-1000mhz tratec (this is what VM use)

If your using cheap crappy leads as well this will cause a problem.
You should be using decent quality pure copper core cable, double or triple sheilded.
Even so called "gold plated crap from Amazon" don't work.
Make the cables your self

Can't find a Tratec 3 way splitter. Any suggestions for an alternative? Loads on Amazon and eBay but dont want to buy crap again :)

Back