VM Engineer Randomly Turned Up At Door

So today i opened the door to a VM engineer stating that they noticed on the reports signal levels in the area aren't quite right and asking can they do a test externally, shouldn't need in the house but might.

Any ideas why this is? I told him i am working from home today which is the case and cannot lose internet connectivity at all - i told him they would have to come back next week and he said it wasn't anything serious but that it isnt a problem then he went away back to the van and away he went.

Any ideas what this is about is this normal? Should I be removing my box at this stage from them coming back?

no.
if they come back, tell them they'll have to wait 10 mins as the baby's in the bath, then remove the zgemma and let them in or don't, the choice is yours, you don't need to let them in at all

So today i opened the door to a VM engineer stating that they noticed on the reports signal levels in the area aren't quite right and asking can they do a test externally, shouldn't need in the house but might.

Any ideas why this is? I told him i am working from home today which is the case and cannot lose internet connectivity at all - i told him they would have to come back next week and he said it wasn't anything serious but that it isnt a problem then he went away back to the van and away he went.

Any ideas what this is about is this normal? Should I be removing my box at this stage from them coming back?
No mate if he comes back tomorrow say I’m running late for work and do what you have to do! If your paying for vm what are you doing wrong

if they have no appointment then you dont let them in...

turning up randomly by virgin media id ask them to stay outside while you ring VM

Ring customer services and check to see if theres been a signal fault in your area etc and ask if an engineer has been issued a job ticket to attend your premises and if not dont bother answering the door as it could be a rogue vm trader

This happened to a friend of mines who got a bit spooked, he just told them he had to goto work and didn't have the time. I would advise you to do as he done and make a call to VM asking if they will require future access so you can conveniently do what you need to do. Turned out in the end there was an issue in the main feed in the street and was fixed without entry. Just unlucky it was an issue at his tee off but I wouldn't think its anything out of the ordinary.

If cable company's do not have an appointment.. say no politely, shut the door. There again try get my son to answer the door, not a chance before 2.00pm as he will be in a coma..

Last edited:
What is the reason they are even coming out though ?
Because they 'noticed on the reports signal levels in the area aren't quite right' probably

VM don't go randomly knocking on doors hoping to catch someone using a dodgy box, there would be nothing they could do if they walked in and found you using one anyway

Well i rang VM and they said there is no appointment made and that they wouldnt send an engineer out unless the customer rang first to report an issue. They said not to let him into the house and they said they have no record of an appointment or call out by an engineer.

Note he did have a pass a uniform and one of them VM vans with all the stuff on it HD Kid or whatever it says lol I think it is a bit much effort to go to be an imposter however still spooked by the reason he just turned up. I will not be letting him in next week.

Thing is the splitter they installed in the outside box was a 2 way splitter - i have replaced with a 3 way splitter so they will be able to see that from the outside.

Have you pi@@@d anyone.off or unfriended anyone on FB. Lol

It could be loose talk. Someone mentioned you .v/m were fishing

Don't talk to strange men..

No not that i'm aware of lol i mean he said my area but got back in his van so clearly just targeted my house - strange strange i am freaked help someone lol

Yeah not very often a conman / woman will go all out to gain entry into a property etc but it does happen.
About 3 yrs ago my disabled aunty who lives in a row of bungalows had a knock on the door from 2 reps from Severn Trent Water and luckily she had a district carer with her at the time and answered the door and said they needed to come in and take water samples etc .
The carer said come back in half hour because im showering a client and whilst stood on the doorstep she took a mental note of the name and id number on badge etc.
She then rang severn trent water and was told there were no reps in the area doing these tests and ring police if still in the area etc.
She rang police and they came out and saw the van further down the street and they were arrested and later the van was searched and loads of money and jewelery were found that had been stolen from properties earlier that day through distraction methods .

Really disgusts me people who prey on sick & elderly.. I have had chances whome after a storm telling me I have a loose tile ( Mrs says I have )
I get my ladders out I say after you .
They left sheepishly.. I work on a platform 100m above sea levels

It's because of noise levels coming from your splitter. I had a virgin enigineer at my house tell it shows up in the green cabin if it loose .

If you are using a cable box & remove it when they call be sure to also remove the splitter & cable/'s as the engineer will take them away with him saying they cause noise on the line, save yourself from needing to replace them.

Back