VM glitching/flickering - weird issue

t0p8uzz

So, having setup many S2 boxes with Sly in the past, decided I'd go down the VM route on a H2H box since I now have VM broadband installed. However, I am getting a very annoying issue where on some channels, not all, even FTA ones like E4, there is a lot of glitching/flickering on the picture.

Things I've tried to remedy this:

1) Swapped out the Coax Splitter and coax cables completely - I am using a 5-2500mhz splitter at the moment with DC pass on all ports - no change

2) Swapped between newcam and cccam and also tried a few test lines from different providers than my normal one - no change

3) Currently sat on iPab build, but have tried Wooshbuild and the Biohead Backup Image - no change

4) Tried using a different external HDD for EPG and Timeshift etc - no change

5) Disabled Tuner A all together as I did have a coax in from my original Sky dish - no change

6) Changed the resolution between 720p, 1080i, 1080p and tried on 50hz and 60hz refresh rate on each res

So, i'm kinda running out of ideas. Like I said, it doesnt happen on all channels, just some, but always seems to be the ones we want to watch. For example, E4 and Comedy Central are particular bad, yet premium channel like Sky Sports 1 HD is absolutely fine. SNR is between 60-70% on most channels so would suggest the signal is okay.

I read somewhere on here that buying an in-line 6db Attenuator might help incase the signal is too strong from VM - Obviously I can access the Hub to obtain stats to determine what the signal strength is but not sure what it should be etc. I've orderded one off of eBay to test

Anyone got any further ideas that I havent already tried?

Thanks in advance!
Jim

Hi mate Let me know how you get on i got the same issue i seem to run out of ideas i thought i might have a weak signal let me how the attenuator works for you

Having read a few more threads, it may be a case of not enough signal strength for some channels. I'm going to try an RF ampilifier from B&Q - half thinking I should have gone down the IPTV route the amount this is costing now :(

Splitter might be causing you issues and stay away from mass produced cable... anything like in the picture below, avoid - the cables and splitters are crap...

s-l1600.jpg

You want to get a good quality splitter, ideally close to the original VM equipment as possible - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technetix...705940?hash=item4b19947154:g:6yMAAOSwZKBZGIDZ

And good cables with compression fittings > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIRGIN-ME...hash=item35c20766be:m:m7vWKjqxztiMkWgD4KOf-bg

Check there's no other splitters on the same line and there's no unnecessarily long cable runs.

Are you sure you have the correct net id also as this can cause issues too.

I'd buy a powered splitter as a last resort really as quite a lot of the time (not always) it's other things at fault.

Hi Ste,

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. Unfortunately for me, the splitter I am using now is literally the EXACT same kit as above in the picture - d'oh! I've ordered the Technetix splitter and 2 of those coax cables to try.

No other splitter on the line, it's a new line fit by VM, comes straight in to the house as one, as I only had Broadband installed rather than TV too so no other splitters, and the length of cable from the junction box inside to the splitter above is about 1m length, then my splitter, than 1m to the VM Hub and Zgemma box.

NET ID I am using the following: Keighley TW 40961 539.000 as I live in Keighley - I noticed 40961 is used by all the surrounding cities/towns too.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on with the new kit, shame I dont have anywhere locally I can source those good ones, will have to wait a few days for em!

Ok, let us know how you get on - just for info, the only FTA channels on VM are 1-5 in SD... all the others come through a sub / line / gift.

Oh, make sure you retain the F to RF adapter in the kit you have - it's about the only thing that's any good in that kit.

Unfortunately I've had the same problem with two H2H receivers. The glitching only happens on a half a dozen or so channels - Channel 4HD and SSNewsHD were particularly bad.

I started a thread on this last week and never got to the bottom of it - splitters / cables / netID etc are correct.

Ive since bought two H5.2tc receivers and they work perfectly.

Both H2H's will be going on eBay this week :(

Please to report back that my glitching issues/freezing/stuttering are now fixed by simply changing my cheap sh!t eBay splitter and cables for the decent quality ones linked above. I reimaged the H2H with a fresh install of iPab at the same time too and everything is working fab, well all except Channel 4 HD for some reason, but every other channel is working in full HD with no glitching or stuttering. Rebooted and Powered the box a few times to ensure it wasnt a fluke but all is good so far.

Big thanks to Ste - much appreciated fella

No problem mate - always nice when members report back and let us know that their issues have been solved.

It's a strange one with the Channel 4 HD - there's been a few reports of that one playing up.

Aye, not too fussed about it, missus cant even see the difference between HD and non HD anyway so just tell her to jump down to non HD.

Reactions: ste
Back