VPN Info and suggestions

Hi guys

Looking for a fast vpn that i can use on kodi and my phone..i have vm at home..has to be at a good price and doesnt affect speed too much..

Any recommendations??

Thanks

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Hi guys

Looking for a fast vpn that i can use on kodi and my phone..i have vm at home..has to be at a good price and doesnt affect speed too much..

Any recommendations??

Thanks

I find Nord and digibit good for speed through my router.
You will always loose some speed through a properly set up VPN

Yeh il probs go for nord as they have a free trial and a good offer at the moment..im only getting a vpn as i find vm are throttling my speeds..

Yeh il probs go for nord as they have a free trial and a good offer at the moment..im only getting a vpn as i find vm are throttling my speeds..

I favour Nord at the moment, seems to run good for me ;-)
Just trialling digibit at the moment on a month to month basis

I have Digibit running across all my devices; 2xzgemma, Android Box and Firestick plus ios and macOS. All work fine [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Digibit running across all my devices; 2xzgemma, Android Box and Firestick plus ios and macOS. All work fine [emoji106]

Do you suffer any speed issues with it installed..

Hi All, can I ask please why your feel the need for VPN? Is it personal preference or the provided service needing a VPN at customer end?
I have a VPN router if I need it.
Thanks.

Hi All, can I ask please why your feel the need for VPN? Is it personal preference or the provided service needing a VPN at customer end?
I have a VPN router if I need it.
Thanks.
I think there is many reasons why people subscribe to VPNs ;

Protect your privacy
Secure your web browsing over public WiFi hotspots
Get past regional restrictions for video and music streaming services
Evade government censorship
Hide your activities using cs servers
Get round the EPL block
Checking airline prices
Checking holiday prices

Many reasons but the most of the above is why I use a VPN

I'm interested to know what speed people are getting out of the zgemma h2s after putting a VPN on it.

I have one running a Digibit VPN and no matter what server I set it to the max I'm getting is 10mps according to both the NetSpeedTest plugin and E2Speedtest plugin.

I have multiple other devices running Digibit in the house and they are all getting speeds of 45mps+

So I'm at a loss as to whether the speeds I'm getting on the zgemma h2s is because of the zgemma, the VPN, or the speed checker is incorrect.

it will be the zgemma me thinks, the processor has a lot of work to do when it's connected to the VPN, not only is it doing it's normal stuff but it's also working hard to send and receive data...I have digibit and it's working well on a small router that's sat behind a mag254, speed on it is max about 8 meg, and that's on a 150 meg connection....as long as it's working and no buffering (maybe once in a blue moon) then I'm happy.

I have openvpn set up on my PC and get speeds of about 50 meg...so even on this rig the VPN makes a lot of work for the encryption.

:)

Pay a bit more to get a good ISP that doesn't throttle or block, if possible in your area that's always the first step you should take.
Want to browse anonymously, use Epic browser and delve into its built in proxy settings, be in Singapore, the Netherlands, India, FREE!
I used to use IPVanish along with S*y BB and although IPVanish is great it can't polish a turd.
Since moving to Pulse 8 a year ago I've no real need for a VPN although for a couple of quid a month I've kept up my sub as who knows what's round the corner?
So if possible get the foundations in first, a decent ISP with your own router, spend the money there.

Not really sure what you mean with your post? most likely all ISP's will be blocking services like the football etc. (more court actions etc. being granted all the time) so no matter what speed of your ISP VPN's will become more the norm.

there's a few VPN's that are free, like "freevpn.me" and also "tor" of course if you want to browse anonymously free..there's a few....

"freevpn.me" change the passwords all the time so for me I wanted a VPN that would be on 27/7 and i wanted it to sit behind my mag254 and also for £2.00 a month it's a bargain, openvpn config files is all ways a winner in my eyes...for use on devices, my own router, my PC etc.

Just checked "pulse" and they are offering a 76mbps connection for about £40.00, i'm on 150 meg line from virmin for about £31.00 a month....

No matter what ISP or VPN your using because of the encryption and what device/processor your using it on your never going to achieve massive speeds with it....so even buying a 200 meg connection from virmin at what ever price you'd still be throttled at the VPN stage...

Not really sure what you mean with your post? most likely all ISP's will be blocking services like the football etc. (more court actions etc. being granted all the time) so no matter what speed of your ISP VPN's will become more the norm.

there's a few VPN's that are free, like "freevpn.me" and also "tor" of course if you want to browse anonymously free..there's a few....

"freevpn.me" change the passwords all the time so for me I wanted a VPN that would be on 27/7 and i wanted it to sit behind my mag254 and also for £2.00 a month it's a bargain, openvpn config files is all ways a winner in my eyes...for use on devices, my own router, my PC etc.

Just checked "pulse" and they are offering a 76mbps connection for about £40.00, i'm on 150 meg line from virmin for about £31.00 a month....

No matter what ISP or VPN your using because of the encryption and what device/processor your using it on your never going to achieve massive speeds with it....so even buying a 200 meg connection from virmin at what ever price you'd still be throttled at the VPN stage...

Yeah I realise I forgot to 'quote' the post I was referring to. It was 'Littlechilli's' 'why you feel the need for a vpn'?
I was pointing out that I did but as things stand I don't any more.
Many people fall into the trap of quoting huge isp meg speeds at 'bargain' prices then slapping a vpn on them, they forget to include that cost and how it slows their wonderful speeds down.
Your virmin isn't a £31 150 meg line it's a £33 whatever the vpn speed line is, or it's blocked and throttled. Mine's 70-76 free, open, no blocks and never slowed down, you pays your money and takes your choice.

That's what I was trying to get across, using your line was just an example (sorry), there are truly extreme cases of madness, a friend of mine pays more to Express VPN per month than he does to S*y for his abysmal broadband service, he thinks he gets a good deal cos his "internet's cheap" (when it works) he considers the vpn as an extra :)

my virmin isn't throttled and it is 150 meg line, it's only the football that's streamed to said device that is blocked, My MAG 254 has a extra vpn router attached to it that get's it slower speeds (but who cares as long as the stream works).... My PC and all my other devices/servers etc. are running fine but should I want to keep prying eyes away from what i want to look it then yeah I fire up openvpn, and yes my connection drops to 45 -50 meg.....drop the VPN and wham back up to 150...so yeah £31.00 for my 150 meg line and £2.00 a month for my vpn/mag254

We all know that by connecting a VPN to no matter what speed ISP will slow the connection down due to the device that the VPN is running on i.e processor/memory/encryption/VPN host/server etc. and all ISP's will follow suit and block football etc. just a matter of time. but i guess good on pulse at the moment for not blocking your streams...

and your mate sounds like a nutter if he's paying them prices to express VPN.

and any way back to "It was 'Littlechilli's' 'why you feel the need for a vpn'?"

I guess 2 simple answers, if your football is blocked....YES
Stop prying eyes from what your searching/looking for.... YES

Last edited:
Eh? Stop prying eyes from looking at what? Paranoia sells!
Why not just use Unblockr for your restricted sites? It works (unless you're on Talktalk) and it's free.
You're right there's a lot of 'nutters' falling for the hard sell of the youtube vpn crowd.

Why not just use Unblockr for your restricted sites? It works (unless you're on Talktalk) and it's free.

Since Unblockr's website says literally nothing about how it works, please correct me if I am mistaken - isn't it essentially just a DNS service that: a) bypasses the ISP DNS server, and b) circumvents geoblocks? At £20pa it is not free (except for the initial test period) is it?

Out of academic interests (since I do not watch football), if Unblockr can bypass such Premier League blocks (and indeed all the other existing, constant bans against e.g. thepiratebay.org etc.) by various ISPs by merely bypassing the ISPs' DNS, why don't everybody who want to bypass them, but do not want the expense, speed degradation and protection of vpn simply change* the DNS server addresses on their "offending" ;) devices, may it be Zgemma/E2, firesticks, pc etc, to google's DNS addresses (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), or e.g. PIA's, for free?

Cheers and hope you are well!

* To change dns server addresses,
1) E2/Zgemma (http://www.techkings.org/threads/how-to-change-dns-settings.129885/),
2) Firestick (part II at https://www.cactusvpn.com/tutorials/how-to-set-up-smart-dns-on-amazon-fire-tv-stick/)
3) pc (https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using)
then reboot device after the change.
One can ascertain the dns server used by running https://ipleak.net/#dnsleak from a web browser, and for a linux/e2 machine putty/telnet into it and execute "cat /etc/resolv.conf" at the command line

Hi mate, yeah you got it, it is a DNS service a very good one, least it was when I tried it out. That was a while ago though, my apologies I didn't realise they charged, I never got that far as I still don't need it.
The thing about Unblockr is unlike VPN you get full speed from your line and rather than using Google DNS you get anonymity, in theory the best of both worlds. Unless you're with Talktalk when it doesn't work (check their site for explanation).

That's really my whole point, do we all need these things now? No. May we someday? Yes.
If we do the worst place to start, particularly if you're paranoid, is with an isp that already blocks, throttles and spies on you.

All the best Speedy.

Last edited:
Incidentally, there is a current VPN deal for 3 years worth of Windscribe Pro (ie unlimited access to their bandwidth, server locations and for any number of your devices) for US$13.50 (about £10), so it is under £3.50 a year.

Windscribe is not the fastest and greatest vpn provider around, but it is not too shabby either. A review consistent with my experience (I have tried their free sub before) is at https://www.vpnuniversity.com/review/windscribe

My PIA sub is running out in a couple more months, so I have just bought this 3 year deal - it is cheap enough as a spare.

OpenVPN with 256 bit AES encryption seems to be the only protocol they offer, which you might want to bear in mind (e.g. if you have to manual install on a device they do not support). That might also partially explain why their headline speed is not as fast as some, however it is an indication of their focus on security rather than speed, unlike some low cost vpn providers who give you pptp as standard, or even as the only offering. Personally, speed beyond 20mbps is of no importance to me - I have no need to download multiple huge files quickly, and 20mbps is plenty for streams I might need concurrently.

The founder made some comments last year about his outfit at https://airvpn.org/topic/18488-what-do-you-think-about-windscribe/ - all in all it sounds ok to me, certainly for the price.

If you are interested, you can evaluate the deal by googling "stacksocial Windscribe VPN: 3-Yr Pro Subscription". Entering WINDSCRIBESD40 at the "Promo code?" label on the right hand side of the checkout page will give you 40% discount on the $22.49, so it ends up as $13.50. Don't know how long the promo code might last. The $22.49 price is supposed to expire in 3 or 4 days.

Cheers!

Eh? Stop prying eyes from looking at what? Paranoia sells!

Paranoia sells? like what does that mean..lolol?..If your referring to wanting to be excluded from Theresa May and all her cronies that are behind ISP's logging all your browsing history and the like, the snoopers charter etc. (Investigatory Powers Act 2016) I'm quite happy to sit behind a VPN/Tor/Tails and surf the web/browse the sites that I like without it being recorded then yeah I'm all for it....not being paranoid, just wanting to have freedom...maybe you haven't heard of the act? lots of people don't know about it......people are so in the dark with it...o_O

Now as for VPN's that claim that they have "NO LOGS" have a read HERE.....so just because they claim they "keep no logs" doesn't mean they don't keep logs!

even unblockr states.....

The Website does not, and will not, actively monitor user activity for inappropriate behavior, nor do we maintain direct logs of any customer's Internet activities. However, we reserve the right to investigate matters we consider to be illegal or violations of the terms of the Agreement. We may - but are not obligated - in our sole discretion, and without notice, remove, block, filter or restrict by any means any materials or information (including, but not limited to, e-mails) that we consider to be actual or potential violations of the restrictions set forth in the Agreement, and act to prohibit any other activities that may subject us, or our customers, to liability.

a play with words......

We will never intentionally disclose any private electronic communication or personal customer information unless required to do so by law enforcement or by operation of law. :fuckyou:

alas.....i shall be back later to discuss this DNS settings....(Domain Name System)....which if your ISP has a transparent proxy...then well....lol

all the best

Strawdog...

Last edited:
Back