HD51 4K vpn kodi 17.3

neaf

Hi guys just wondering if anyone is using a vpn.i am it's ipvanish I've set it up through open vpn and it's works as when I do a speed test it shows I'm in another country :) Great. ..so when I launch kodi it still shows my original ip address rather than 172..999...666 can't understand why it won't change as it did but now for some reason it now shows as if vpn is running in the background. ..I've also checked menu/info's/network and I can see in there it's working....my old android box changes the ip address to 172....I must say how much quicker kodi runs on the hd51..very happy with it overall..

Thanks
neaf

The most reliable way to check whether your Kodi stream is still running through a vpn tunnel is to look up the External IP address, in System Information, in the Indigo addon, within Kodi. If it isn't one of your vpn vendor's, then your streams are running naked.

I must say I have doubt if setting vpn up within E2 necessarily mean the Kodi plugin will also stream through the same tunnel, because Kodi has its own vpn config screen. I have given up setting vpn up in individual devices, it is far easier and less likely to suffer ip/dns leaks running a parallel, vpn dedicated router, so that any device can utilise vpn (for security) or not (for speed) by just picking the service from the relevant router.

You can also run the speed tests within Indigo, ime the results are not quite the same as that from e.g. the NetSpeedTest plugin in Vix, which appears to be based on Ookla's speedtest.net.

Hi speedy thanks for the reply on the vpn I will definitely look into what you have told me on the indigo addon and router method :(y): Cheers

I use the maintenance tool from the Kodi hub. The installation is easy, just Google their website to find out how to get the addon. If you open it, you'll also see a tool called "what's my ip". When I enable a VPN client, I see an IP address of the VPN server. I use Windows and it works fine.
P.S. You can also read this article. It helped me to hide my actual IP correctly. Hope it'll be helpful for you.

Hi thanks penda on the information ...ok so I installed indigo and am I right in thinking I should be paying more attention to my external ip address rather than my local ip address .so I Google my external ip address and it does taly up with open vpn setup on my laptop which I implemented...
I will have a read of the link you sent me cheers :(y):

Back