1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VPN on a Vu Solo2

Discussion in 'Enigma 2 - Plugins' started by Studio5, Aug 12, 2017 at 11:38 AM.

1. Studio5

Studio5 Member

Anyone managed to successfully add and get a vpn running on a solo2.

I've followed every tutorial I can find but it still won't run.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Studio5

Studio5 Member

I've got it sorted now thanks to a makido on here.

3. wullboy

wullboy TK Veteran

Then lets share your experience for all the other on here m8....Im sure there`s lot of peeps out there who want to run VPN on boxes....

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 7:33 AM
  4. Studio5

Studio5 Member

Right then with the help of Makido I finally managed to get PIA running on my Vu+ Solo2 using a VIX image. I also have an account with IPVanish but haven't managed to sort that one yet.

This is how i did it. it may not be the only way to set it up but it eventually worked for me.

1 - Sign up for an account with PIA (PrivateInternetAccess). This is pretty straight forward, go to their web site, click on the join now button, follow the instructions make payment and wait for an email with your username and password to arrive. I bought a month long subscription to try it out and then paid for a year when I had proven it worked.

2 - With your username and password log into your account. From this page you can change your password if you wish from the one that they issue with and also change your email address if you wish.

3 - At the top of the page click on 'Downloads and Support'. This will take you to a page that looks like it has logged you out. Don't worry as it also contains all of the links you'll need to download your files or apps to run their vpn. I'll only concentrate on setting up Open Vpn on a Solo2.

4 - Scroll down past the download logo's and the login details boxes, past video guides and addition resources until you get to the lines of green text starting with the '+' sign.

5 - Now click on 'Advanced Open VPN SSL Usage Guides', scroll down and click on 'Open VPN Configuration files (Recommended Default)', this will down load a zip file. Save the zip file somewhere you can easily access it.

6 - What I did next was to create a folder on my laptop called 'openvpn' and unzip the content on the zip file into it. You should find lots of .ovpn files (pre fixed with location names) and 2 other files, one is the security certificate (ca.rsa.2048.crt) and a .pem file (crl.rsa.2048.pem). Leave the .crt and .pem files alone do not touch them.

7 - Now you need to decide which .ovpn file you want to use. If you want to pretent to be in the USA, pick a file beginning with US.. My location is based on Southampton so I chose UK Southampton.ovpn. Delete all others but keep the .crt and the .pem files described in line 6 above.

8 - Now double click on the .ovpn file, it should open in notepad (sorry no idea what you need if you have a MAC) and contain a constant string of text.... scroll along the text until you get to
    'tls serverauth-user-passcomp-lzoverb'.
    Change this text so it reads
    'tls serverauth-user-pass password.txt comp-lzoverb'.
    Make sure there is a space before 'password' and a space after '.txt'.
    When you have done this, click on 'file', then 'save as' and change the file name to 'Client.conf'. This should save the file as a 'Conf file' called 'Client' and also change it's icon to something that looks like a notepad.

9 - This should leave you with 3 files in the 'openvpn' folder.

10 - The next thing to do is create a 'password.txt' file in notepad. Open Notepad and enter your username and password that were provided by PIA in the email they sent you (assuming you haen't changed them). These are the same credentials you use to access your PIA account. Some tutorials I have seen tell you to enter a PPTP/L2TP/SOCKS username and password obtained from PIA but I'm not so sure.
    Put you username on the first line and your password on the second line. Again 'file', 'save as' and name it 'password.txt'. Save this file in the same folder as the previous three files. It's icon should look like a sheet of notepad paper.

11 - The next job is to get the files onto your Solo2. There are different ways to do this, for me the easiest way is to use a file transfer software called filezilla. Google filezilla, go to their website and download filezilla client.

12 - Openfilezilla and enter your solo2's ip address into the 'host' box at the top of the page, (you can find you box ip address by using your remote and pressing 'menu', 'setup', 'system', 'network', device setup', 'adapter settings'. Make a note of your ip address.)
    While you are there you need to add the OpenVPN software to your box, you do this by pressing 'menu', 'setup', 'system', 'network', 'OpenVPN setup'. If the red dot on this page is showing remove Service next to it your box already has it installed, if it doesn't hit the red button on your remote, then 'yes' and install the software. Restart your box.
    If you don't have OpenVpn showing on the network page you'll need to flash the box with a different image.
    If your solo2 has a standard setup that has been left unchanged since it was last image flashed, enter your ip address in the 'Host' box, enter 'root' into the 'username' box, leave the 'password' box blank and click on 'Quickconnect'. This should log you into your box and fill the right hand lower window with the file structure within your box and the left hand lower window with your pc file structure.

13 - Using the upper left window in fileziller find the location of the openvpn folder that contains your 4 files from above. Make sure you can see the folder in the lower left window. Now you need to click on the 'etc' folder in the lower right window, you may need to scroll down to find it. Now highlight the openvpn folder in the left hand window and right mouse click it.
    Press 'upload', this should transfer the file into the 'etc' folder in the right hand lower window thereby putting it on your box. Scroll down and find the openvpn folder, it should contain the 4 files when you open it.

14 - The next step is to see if the vpn will run. Using your remote press 'menu', 'setup', 'system', 'network', 'OpenVPN setup', Press the yellow button to change autostart to 'enabled' and press the green button to change the current status from 'stopped' to 'running'. This should start the vpn runing. If the vpn doesn't changed to running, re check all fo the step above.
    It means you have one of the file names or file types wrong... ask me how I know.... or you haven't entered 'password.txt' correctly into the Client file or you have put the wrong username and password into the password.txt file. These are the only elements that can be wrong.

15 - If the stutus show green you now need to check that your vpn is doing the job it should be doing. For this you'll need a piece of software called 'putty', go to 'putty.org' and download it.

16 - Open the putty software and enter your box ip address in the 'ip address' box, make sure the SSH dot is highlighted and click on open, a Putty security box will open, click yes. In the black window after login as: enter the word 'root', this should change the text to root@vusolo2: now enter 'wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo'
    press enter and an ip address will appear, check this against your home ip address, if they are different the vpn is working. You can get your home email address from the top of the page on the PIA website.

Hope this helps anyone that needs it. In the mean time I intend to experiment woth IPVanish and get that working.

blainemufc, Ontap and wullboy like this.
  5. aerialsmart

aerialsmart Member

Hi Studio5, Thanks for the guide. :thumbsup:

Please can you keep us upadted on your progress with IPVanish. I have IPVanish and CyberGhost and I cant get either to work on my Vu Duo (Vix image). In Openvpn setup I get the green "running" message but when I exit and then go back in it says "stopped". :mad:

6. aerialsmart

aerialsmart Member

I should mention I'm trying to set up the vpn to enable my IPTV to work on the box.

7. paulsco

paulsco Member

Keeping an eye on this one, like you I have a Vu Duo with the latest Vix image, IPTV was running fine until the isp block, looking to install a working VPN directly on the box.

8. Studio5

Studio5 Member

When you see the green running symbol does your ip address change.

9. wullboy

wullboy TK Veteran

Do you mean the green flashing circle on the left-hand side of your info bar ????

10. Studio5

Studio5 Member

Does you ip address change while it's running though. You can check that while the running screen is still open. Close the screen than check it again.

11. aerialsmart

aerialsmart Member

Hi Studio5, no the ip stays the same. I cant figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I will try write the instructions im following below. Please someone tell me where I'm going wrong?

1. On Vu Go to Menu > Set Up > Network > OpenVPN
    2. If prompted install OpenVPN. If not then you are already set up
    3. Go to CyberGhost webpage and login
    4. Click on MyDevices > Add a new device > Other (Router, Linux, etc.)
    upload_2017-8-15_17-36-12.png

5. Click the Green button at the bottom to 'Create Credentials'
    From the My Devices section
    6. Select the Newly Created Device
    7. Edit the device name and set up options.

At the bottom of the page you will see the login details for this new set up.
    8. Select your desired vpn country (I have selected Germany. No idea why o_O just did)

IMPORTANT: Make a note of your Username and Password

upload_2017-8-15_17-47-37.png

9. Click Download Configuration
    This will download a zip file with 4 files:- ca.crt, client.crt, client.key and openvpn.ovpn
    upload_2017-8-15_17-52-24.png

10. Create a new folder on your desktop and extract the 4 files to it (copy, paste or drag, however you choose).
    11. Using windows notepad open the 'openvpn.ovpn' file.
    12. locate the '...auth-user-pass...' and change to '...auth-user-pass /etc/pass.key...'
    upload_2017-8-15_18-5-43.png
    13. Now select File> Save As... >
    14. Change the Save as type to: All Files
    15. Change the File Name to 'CyberGhost.conf
    upload_2017-8-15_18-8-54.png
    You can close the file.
    16. Open a new blank notepad document.

Using the login details from Step 8
    17. On line 1 type the username and line 2 type the password
    upload_2017-8-15_18-13-56.png
    18. Now select File> Save As... >
    19. Change the Save as type to: All Files
    20. Change the File Name to 'pas.key'
    upload_2017-8-15_18-17-13.png

21. On your Vu go to Menu > Information > Network
    22. Make a note of your IP Address

23. Open FileZilla and connect to the Vu.
    Host = IPAddress Username = root Password = password Port = 21

24. On the Vu navigate to the /etc/ Folder and Right-Click on it
    25. Select 'Create directory and enter it'
    26. Create a folder called 'openvpn'
    upload_2017-8-15_18-30-10.png

25. You should now be in the newly created folder called 'openvpn'
    26. From FileZilla, using the windows on your left. Navigate to the folder you created on your desktop.
    27. FTP the files to the Vu
    upload_2017-8-15_18-44-3.png

28. On the Vu go to Menu > Setup > Network > OpenVPN setup > Press Green

Doesn't work. What am i doing wrong?

12. Studio5

Studio5 Member

a couple of things...

- I didn't need to put the /etc/ in my ovpn script. if you do eave it in you should put /etc/openvpn/
    - You need to make sure that your file names match the script in the ovpn file. You stated above you added '...auth-user-pass /etc/pass.key...' but then called the file pas.key. either change the file or change the script.
    - I did read on another forum that the password file should be a .txt file. try that after the 2 above.

13. aerialsmart

aerialsmart Member

I've cracked it!!!!! :thumbsup:

I've managed to get it running using UK and Switzerland Servers.

I'll post the instructions when I get chance today.

14. aerialsmart

aerialsmart Member

• Admin you might want to move this into its own thread
    Hi guys,
    I'm running IPTV on my Vu Duo. Time will tell whether this is good enough.
    You will need a CyberGhost account and Filezilla on your PC.
    I imagine the setup for other Vu boxes wont be too different. Good luck o_O

1. On Vu Go to Menu > Set Up > Network > OpenVPN
    2. If prompted install OpenVPN. If not then you are already set up
    3. Go to CyberGhost webpage and login
    4. Click on MyDevices > Add a new device > Other (Router, Linux, etc.)
    [​IMG]

5. Click the Green button at the bottom to 'Create new Credentials'

From the My Devices section
    6. Select the Newly Created Device
    7. Edit the device name and set up options (I turn on Ad-Blocker and Force HTTPS).

At the bottom of the page you will see the login details for this new set up.
    8. Select your desired vpn country.
    NOTE: You must select a Country that has a Premium Server.

IMPORTANT: Make a note of your Username and Password at the bottom of the page.

[​IMG]
    9. Click Download Configuration
    This will download a zip file with 4 files:- ca.crt, client.crt, client.key and openvpn.ovpn
    [​IMG]

10. Create a new folder on your desktop and extract the 4 files to it (copy, paste or drag, however you choose).
    11. Using windows notepad open the 'openvpn.ovpn' file.
    12. locate the '...auth-user-pass...' and change to '...auth-user-pass /etc/pas.key...'
    [​IMG]
    IMPORTANT: You must put a space after 'pass' before you start typing /etc/.....

13. Now select File> Save As... >
    14. Change the Save as type to: All Files
    15. Change the File Name to 'CyberGhost.conf
    [​IMG]
    You can close the file.
    16. Open a new blank notepad document.

Using the login details from Step 8
    17. On line 1 type the username and line 2 type the password
    [​IMG]
    18. Now select File> Save As... >
    19. Change the Save as type to: All Files
    20. Change the File Name to 'pas.key'
    [​IMG]

21. On your Vu go to Menu > Information > Network
    22. Make a note of your IP Address

23. Open FileZilla and connect to the Vu.
    Host = IP address
    Username = root
    Password = password
    Port = 21

24. On the Vu navigate to the /etc/ Folder and Right-Click on it
    25. Select 'Create directory and enter it'
    26. Create a folder called 'openvpn'
    [​IMG]

25. You should now be in the newly created folder called 'openvpn'
    26. From FileZilla, using the windows on your left. Navigate to the folder you created on your desktop.
    27. FTP the files to the Vu
    [​IMG]

28. On the Vu go to Menu > Setup > Network > OpenVPN setup >
    Press Yellow to Enable AutoStart
    Press Green to Start

If you have done all the correctly then the Current Status should change to 'Running'.

29. Final Step :thumbsup:
    On your Vu > Restart GUI

Job Done.

If this all works for you give me a thumbs up :thumbsup:

Thanks to Studio5 for setting me on the right track with his original post. Like Studio5 said in his post use Putty to check you IP Address has changed.

Open the putty software and enter your box ip address in the 'ip address' box, make sure the SSH dot is highlighted and click on open, a Putty security box will open, click yes. In the black window after login as: enter the word 'root', this should change the text to root@vusolo2: now enter 'wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain;echo'

Once you get the IP Address displayed google it and find out where that lives :)

Thanks all :thumbsup:

15. paulsco

paulsco Member

I'm going to give this a try at the weekend, thanks for the write up