Vpn router

The main thing that concerns me regarding Liberty Shield, is there is very little information regarding the vpn protocol they employ, especially given they appear to provide a "you can have any colour, as long as it is black" kind of service. Digging a little bit deeper, it seems (from their installation guide for dd-wrt routers) that they employ pptp, which only quality is quick because it is simple, but is probably the least secure / most vulnerable vpn protocol, and therefore not recommended. See e.g. https://www.ivpn.net/pptp-vs-l2tp-vs-openvpn

Another issue that concerns me regarding Liberty Shield, is how come there is no detailed info on the one and only preconfigured router they sell? Is it user configurable, and for what other (competing) vpn providers, or services if and when I feel like it? Indeed what sort of performance can I expect from that router running OpenVpn?

One of the reasons the above questions are relevant, is that Liberty Shield's vpn service is not particularly price competitive (ok I admit I am tight...). The only decent price they offer currently is the £35 annual sub based on half price for the 1st year. Their marketing strategy is therefore just like Sly/Virmin, who will happily sell you, as a new customer, their entertainment package at steep discount for the first year, but will hit you with the full price the year after unless you leave, or threaten to leave - if you leave Liberty Shield vpn, does the shiny preconfigured router you have bought from them turn into a paperweight/doorstop?

To my mind one must be able to trust one's vpn provider - because unless you are minded to put additional security protocol in place, they will/can know everything you are trying to keep private. That to me means one must also be able to move freely between competitive vpn providers. The supplier of my router assures OpenVpn compatibility and support for 20 major vpn services. Liberty Shield is not one of them.

Having said all that, I do get the value of preconfigured vpn router/services for technophobes, or for those who are happy to pay a premium for not having to mess with installation in general. However, it is worth bearing in mind, that depending on the choice of router/service, installation does vary from a simple 1 minute job on a graphical user interface, to picking/flashing firmware after extensive investigation etc.

Cheers!
I do agree with all these points. Like with all things, it's never a "one size fits all" solution, these are just our opinions of what would help someone decide after asking for advise, we don't work for the router/vpn companies, we have experience of these things but are no way experts.

The decision is yours to make, some people feel better stripping down a car and building it up again, and if anything goes wrong, they have only there selves to blame but you also know how to fix it and you know how safe it is. Some like the experts to do it for them but then you are relying on someone else to keep you safe, yes there is "checks and measure" which you have done which is better than no vpn but in the worst case scenario, could you be OK with the outcome.

Its like buying a fully loaded kodi box, you are reliant on the seller to be safe, and as for what's happen with the latest box seller (all assets taken by court order and the court order also extends to buyer addresses/ip addresses if they want to take it that far) you are at risk in my eyes.

Yes, yes vpns are not illegal but if the authorities ask and the router seller helped (money) the authorities would have a start in to investigating what you might or might not be doing.

Don't get me wrong, this is the worst case and I am saying this with my "tinfoil hat on" lol but the potential is there.

Sent from my thor using Tapatalk

Don't you think some of the above comments are getting absolutely ridiculous
Don't get that VPN/router it might have a back door to exploit?
Get your own router flash DD-WRT configure it yourself don't trust anyone?
Don't get a router buy a VPN service like ipvanish etc but hold on a minute-
they might pass your details on if they were paid enough money?
Or the most important term is VPN client or VPN client (mode) with no exception you-
need a router that can function as a VPN client like most ASUS routers so whatever
you do stick with that Brand but even if you do! make sure your not not losing to -
much bandwidth for your encrypted VPN tunnel But also make sure
you wear a tinfoil hat and expect the worst.
Most people just want a bloody VPN just to stream a single live sporting event etc i.e football then
Switch over to their standard router for everything else or isn't that not good enough either
Cos you might be scammed?
Happy viewing
But don't get caught eh

Last edited:
If you get the LibertyShield router it's set up with your vpn sub around £100 (including router) with your X12 Months sub added or pay Monthly,from taking delivery to connection to register it at Libertyshield etc 20mins in my case, absolutely Brill.
Hi sumjoddy
Have noticed lbrtyshield vpn , how are they doing with you?
I do notice you have to subscribe , but can you get out of it.
Last of all, how would i know its doing the job when really i'm not too affected as yet
Thanx idledawn

Hi sumjoddy
Have noticed lbrtyshield vpn , how are they doing with you?
I do notice you have to subscribe , but can you get out of it.
Last of all, how would i know its doing the job when really i'm not too affected as yet
Thanx idledawn

(Pm you and thanks no problem.) also to be fair have not had the need to use my VPN at all
for any sport so far, as my both my different servers apart from one..suffered a DDos blitz second Saturday
of the Barclays P/L...been fine since.

I just have a bit of a laugh tho accessing well known sites using my vpn...our loverly ISPs in their wisdom have Banned to...appease our glorious phonographic/movie & Tv industry & the likes? and now it's just
the case of up yours & what are them sites again I can't access anymore in my home backyard ?
you B.......
Ps..Happy VPN Viewing to all but keep a tin foil hat handy just in case?

Last edited:
Back