VPN

Hi can anyone help me is it possible to setup a VPN on the box so to run IPTV through or is it best running through a router/modem I'm new to this VPN business so be easy

I have a VPN router wired to my sly hub, my ZGemma Star 2S works fine through that mate.

I have a MicroTik VPN purchased from amazon, I also pay for the service they provide but it's only £7 a month. It came with 3 months free service too. I connected to my sly router and it works great. I have had it about a year, no problem at all and I can access websites that ISP's don't allow me to view.

I have a MicroTik VPN purchased from amazon, I also pay for the service they provide but it's only £7 a month. It came with 3 months free service too. I connected to my sly router and it works great. I have had it about a year, no problem at all and I can access websites that ISP's don't allow me to view.
Cheers buddy.

I have a VPN router wired to my sly hub, my ZGemma Star 2S works fine through that mate.
Hi, Can you please describe how it is connected to the sly hub and the settings on said hub? I have a vpn router I would like to connect in the same way, thank you

I believe that all you do is turn your sly hub into modem mode, and then attach your VPN router to it...

I believe that all you do is turn your sly hub into modem mode, and then attach your VPN router to it...
Hi mate, first of all, I did not change any settings in the sly hub. I simply connected the VPN to the hub using the ethernet cable from sly hub to VPN input and it just worked. I then connect my zgemma from VPN router. The router did come pre-configured with the settings. Just plug and play hope this helps.

How do you find it in speed terms, i hear that you sacrifice speed for anonymity when using a VPN, is it not better to install a VPN on to the box that you wish to get services for.. Been thinking a wee while now about buying one, but keep getting mixed information about VPN`S..... What is the pro`s & cons of running a VPN ?? And is it better on the one box that your needing it for, or is is better covering all your network with it...??

Last edited:
Thanks for reply but as l believe it is not possible to put sly hub into modem mode.

Hi mate, first of all, I did not change any settings in the sly hub. I simply connected the VPN to the hub using the ethernet cable from sly hub to VPN input and it just worked. I then connect my zgemma from VPN router. The router did come pre-configured with the settings. Just plug and play hope this helps.
Thanks for the information l will have a play later

How do you find it in speed terms, i hear that you sacrifice speed of anonymity when using a VPN, is it not better to install a VPN on to the box that you wish to get services for.. Been thinking a wee while now about buying one, but keep getting mixed information about VPN`S..... What is the pro`s & cons of running a VPN ?? And is it better on the one box that your needing it for, or is is better covering all your network with it...??
I am thinking about installing a vpn on a spare computer and adding a double ethernet card and feeding of that to see if it works.

In terms of speed using a VPN, yes speed is compromised, however, the fact is it works and it works well. Carrying out a comparison on speed with and without the VPN Router I found the following: Without the VPN I have a speed of 75mbs and with the VPN I had a speed of 62mbs. Of course this is in my area using sly fibre broadband, this would vary according to your location and ISP.

The router I have is the following: MicroTik Pre Configured Multi Country VPN Router - Pro.

If you highlight the model above and paste it in google search you will find it on amazon.

The model also has built in Wi-Fi so can use it wired or wireless on all devices. Happy to help.

Just to note, I believe you have to put your own router into Bridge mode with the Sly routers.
As my previous post states there is no configuration to do with the VPN I use it is pre-configured. This is the reason I purchased it. No messing about with sly hub or the VPN it just works.

Back