Vu box choice

bendyhoof

Hi guys, I've been looking through this forum for a couple of weeks gathering most of the info I need.
I'm in the same position as the rest of the newbie sat reciever crowd(fed up with s k y high prices :-( )
I'm a complete novice at this side of things but I'm willing to learn :-)
My needs are for the family room for a box that is capable of recording one and watching another channel so I'm going for a twin tuner which is fast and has a good reputation.
I've narrowed it to the vu+ solo 2 and the duo 2, I want a box I want to keep and not really want to upgrade after a month.
Can anyone tell me if it's worth the extra for the duo2 and what benefits are there? Is the solo2 a good and quick enough box?
Thanks

Any of the VU range is good and worth getting, they are a respected box but higher in price. As for upgrading that will be the software not the box. I've had a Xpeed LX2 for almost a year now and at £109 with 2 yr warranty its still doing me proud and does what I need and the software updates in the back ground as I run OpenVix and own a supported box.

I had the money then my choice would be the VU+ Duo2, I have a friend who has one and its a great box and I am will get one if some kind sole sells me one for a tenner, lol

Looks like you've done some good research so well done, glad to see a newbie learning and not asking stupid questions that have been asked and answered a million times (y)

VU boxes best on the market Also have a look at the Mut@nt range, noticed world of sat offering massive discounts on VU and Mut@nt range, you wont go wrong with either
box both have massive spec and quick processing speed with large storage , also if you have cable consider a combo box HD on Virmin side

Just got a duo 2 after having a v8s and zgemma have to say well pleased the speed of the box and picture quality are the best so far plus internal hdd and twin sat and cable tuners.

Thanks for the replies.
I could still do with knowing if it's worth the extra £80 for the duo2 over the solo2?
Cos that £80 could be a 1TB HDD and a decent USB stick :-D.
I'm not pinching pennies,if it's definately worth the extra I'll pay it. It's my first dabble in the sat box market and I want there to be no regrets down the line if you know what I mean.
I'm presuming they both have the same capabilities, as in same twin sat tuners,by the looks of it it's mainly processing power and flash memory I think?
I'll be ordering one this week I just don't know which one yet? Thanks :-)

Hi,

The VU+ Solo 2 is lower spec, its a single core CPU and 256mb flash and 1GB RAM but the Duo2 has a duel core CPU, 1Gb Flash and 2GB RAM plus plenty more extras the solo2 doesn't have. If money is an issue then the Solo2 will do you just fine but if your splashing out on a top rated box then get the Duo2

hi guys, well after a busy few weeks i have finally opened up my vu solo 2 and had a play around with most things,customising things here and there,ive even managed to workout how to get the blue HD skin on.
im an absolute novice right down to ftp'ing so im trying my best to get my head round things,ive got endless tabs open with guides and allsorts so bear with me it will sink in.
Can you tell me what is the best softcam to use cccam or mgcamd and whats the difference???
I will be requesting a line very soon so i just need a few pointers really which cam to use and which line to request.
I have sl y at the moment,no cable available in the forseeable future if that helps and connection speed is about 15Mbps.
Thanks

vu will run sweet on nline and the cam to use will be mgcam 1.38.

read bees thread for setting up enigma2 combo.

Thanks for replying so quick cactikid ive been reading various threads and trying to work out the majority decision on things.
Cos im such a pc novice its taking a while to sink in when ive never done ftp or anything, so even the most basic task to you is something new to me to try and understand.
ive got filezilla open and ive connected to my solo2 box so im getting there.
the box is being used for fta at the moment till i get a line sorted,sooner the better the mrs is getting fed up now being in limbo :-/

ahh good your learning on pc destop make a new folder and call it solo2 ,you can download mg_cfg and newcamd.list from downloads here on tk and stick them in there [ folder solo2 ] and you can later send those 2 files named mg_cfg and newcamd.list to var/keys or as it will look usr/keys .

ask the mrs when you get the box going is she offering dessert?lol

dont worry it will happen and when it does fireworks will happen.

forgot to ask before you can do above box should have downloaded the mg 1.38 softcam from download plugins.

Last edited:
Back