vu+ duo red light not fixed by capacitor

scub

hi there - looking some advice folks .
my duo is over 3 years old & now has red light of death .
so i searched & found the capacitor replacement fix. got the correct 1 from maplins & took it to get soldered in.
& it was the right part going into the right place lol.
the guy has done this fix before but says he knows of no other cure for it .
he's a pc repair man & not a duo expert.
he also checked all the wee connectors round it & everything is reading correctly .
we also tried to fire a new image on via a usb to kickstart it but nothing worked.
any ideas or am i looking a new box ?
thanks in advance .

is box booting up or still the same,red light and starting on front are common on the old duo,one or 3 caps replaced with regulator?

thanks for the reply - still just the red light coming on. it's not even getting to the 'starting' screen .
aye the guy replaced the cap but he checked the old 1 1st & it was reading what it was supposed to , but he swapped it out anyway.
he checked the 3 wee ceramic spider things lol ( sorry i'm not a teccy haha) beside it & he knew what they were supposed to read on the volt meter , & said they were all fine ,

i used google images and a few on there show where and what to replace on the board,also gone on my box again and not used since.

i watched this guy & he was pretty sure he'd checked everything in & around the cap that he replaced & said anything else was beyond his no-how . hence this post.
just seems hard to understand that it can go t!ts up overnight & not be repairable ??

but weigh up the cost of repairs as i had to pay 70+ euro to get mine fixed and lasted another 3 years and gone again.its an old slow box now even if repaired,could try some of the sat shops or phone shops could also do repairs.

yes got a wee 5 quid repair kit for a few caps & stuff there. so I'll have a go at that & then sacrifice the bastid when it still doesn't work. might get a zgemma to keep me going till I see what else is out there. I've no real interest in streaming or moveable dishes etc so just a twin tuner box to get the sky channels will do me. gremlins are a bitch.!

It's officially supported by ViX and has a 2 year warranty, although my ZG runs ViX quite happily if you're not bothered about online updates.

thanks for the replies folks. doing a bit of reading here & am leaning towards the edision. only thing I can't find is does it take an HD? am wanting to use the 1tb one that's in my duo?

Back