Washing Machine problem

Del-Boy

My old Bosch wff 2001 had a smokey drum when I came home with the dog earlier,didn't smell like fire but this misty smoke was in the drum when I opened the door.

It must be 20 years young but was wondering if it could just be the carbon brushes need changing out or do I spend @£400 on a new Bosch

Thank you for any helpful advice and COYS FFS :)

I would take the motor off and have a look at the brushes if they have worn right down this may well be the issue.
Could also be a bad bearing on the drum but a quick rotation and should be able to eliminate that if theres no stiffness or grinding.
Not sure how much brushes are nowadays and with your washer being best part of 20yrs old the availability might be hard aswell.

I would take the motor off and have a look at the brushes if they have worn right down this may well be the issue.
Could also be a bad bearing on the drum but a quick rotation and should be able to eliminate that if theres no stiffness or grinding.
Not sure how much brushes are nowadays and with your washer being best part of 20yrs old the availability might be hard aswell.
Definate stiffness & NO grinding,seen spare brushes on flea bay for £2.50 a pair

Depends if they still do parts for your washer tbh with how old it is and the cost to repair would it be easier and cheaper buying a new washing machine
I'd do a DIY on it but as you say I'm not sure of the cause of problem,seen spare brushes for £2.50 a pair

Could be a valve or a motor problem.
Motor was working on spin cycle without any apparent problem,it's the unexplained smoky mist that makes me realise that it is not all working perfectly

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the rear cover off it and put it on a short cycle to see if you can spot the problem but be sure to keep hands away from moving parts and have a torch handy to see inside etc
Thanks RS,will pull it out (washer I mean LOL) later this week and see how everything is looking

can you see the belt when you take the back and top off?
if it was a burning rubber type of smell, i'd be more inclined to agree with @Jim1088
Drum is VERY STIFF,this started a few weeks back,was washing a heavy settee throw and I think the full weight got spun on 1 side of drum thus knackering it for the future,as someone above said maybe a bearing has gone in the drum

Yeah heavy uneven loading will put loads of pressure on the drum bearing etc but a few old washing machines you could change out the bearing quiet easily but more modern drums are sealed bearings etc.

The drum is sticking and not spinning freely so now back to the manuals to troubleshoot

Yeah heavy uneven loading will put loads of pressure on the drum bearing etc but a few old washing machines you could change out the bearing quiet easily but more modern drums are sealed bearings etc.
I think I messed it up,my Nan had been using it with No probs for 20 years and I bugger it up within 3 months

It could also be the bearing on the motor aswell but that can easily be checked by taking the belt off and spinning the motor by hand and also the drum bearing with no resistance from the belt.

Just found the receipt 18-9-1998

It could also be the bearing on the motor aswell but that can easily be checked by taking the belt off and spinning the motor by hand and also the drum bearing with no resistance from the belt.
Will check it on Weds and hope for the best,thanks for the advice mate

Back