watching films/programmes via internet

I have tried looking through other posts but cant to seem to find any info on streaming movies from the web via the blade box, can anyone point me in the right direction?

From the Blade Media website:

Can I stream movies from my PC or my friend's PC to my Blade?

Absolutely, yes!

You are able to connect to either a local IP address and play from your PC or an IP address across the internet... ie: across the internet means you can share your video library with your friend in another town or even country; they can browse your files and play them right across the internet. It works with the same file formats as playing from the USB... ie: Xvid, MKV, MPG1, MPG2, TS, flv, etc., etc. Please note: you will both need good internet speeds to do this. Please download the Blade Stream software from this website.

As for streaming movies you do not own to your blade from the internet, that would be illegal.

i understand that i was just looking to play music/family recordings from my laptop to the blade and was just looking for the easiest way

It pretty simple to do, there media streaming software on the Blade Media website. Install that on your PC/Laptop run the program and set the directory you want to share. Then on your blade box using them menu's go to the IP address of your PC/Laptop and you should see the shared directory with your films etc which you can then play.

i understand that i was just looking to play music/family recordings from my laptop to the blade and was just looking for the easiest way

BLADE STREAM
------------

Blade Stream is very powerful software that runs on any Windows PC which will allow a BM7000s to connect direcly to that PC and stream movies, or download firmware or channel data files directly.

The software does not need any install. It is available at Blade Media in the support pages.

1. Simply unzip Blade Stream folder to desktop (or your chosen location) and run BLADE Stream.exe

2. Windows Firewall will ask you to allow access - say YES.

3. Next, on Blade Stream, click '...' button to browse to your media and channel file (.CDF) folder and click OK. Blade Stream will now minimise to the taskbar and is now ready to stream.

4. On your Blade Receiver, press PLAY (or F1) on the remote and press YELLOW to ADD OR SELECT SOURCE. Press Blue button to ADD or CONNECT. Here you type the local IP address of the PC that you just put the Blade Stream software on, for example 192.168.1.3 etc.

Once you enter this and press OK you will see the directory list of your media folder. Now you can play any movie from your PC just by selecting it, or load any firmware or channel files in the list.

For streaming across the internet to a friend's receiver, do the following: When entering the new source (as above where you entered 192.168.1.3) you will put the external IP or URL of your friend's PC, eg. 93.12.145.76 or myfriend.dynalis.com etc.

Your friend must also forward port 2008 in his router to his PC that is running Blade Stream.

Now you can watch media files from your friend's PC across the internet. Note: You will both need fast stable internet for this function, if it is not fast and stable it may make problems with the stability of your receiver. The serving PC can only stream one movie at a time. If a new selection is made it wil stop the first one and start the new one.

Source: http://www.techkings.org/blade-media-satellite/24376-blade-bm7000s-software-11-april-2011-a.html

cheers for that really easy to follow but when i enter my ip address it comes up with communicating with the server which lasts for about 2mins and then it fails! any ideas

cheers for that really easy to follow but when i enter my ip address it comes up with communicating with the server which lasts for about 2mins and then it fails! any ideas

Have you made sure the IP address is correct? (sorry for sounding naive, its just that something as small as putting in one wrong digit can cause everything to go wrong)

Just to make sure, hit the windows key and R, then type in ipconfig and check out the IP of your PC. (also if your IP on the PC is set to get its IP from DHCP (through your router) then you'll have to either make it static so it doesn't change, or you'll have to update it on your blade each time your router assigns a different IP to your PC. Make sure no firewalls are blocking the connection.

Also after inserting the IP address into the Blade, perhaps you can turn the blade box on and then off to see if that will establish the connection?

tried all that but no luck any other ideas

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

got it, windows firewall was stopping it. didn't realize it was still on

tried all that but no luck any other ideas

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

got it, windows firewall was stopping it. didn't realize it was still on

Yep, had a feeling that would be it. :)

Glad your sorted.

*Just to clarify when I initially made my first post to this thread about the whole "illegal movie" thing, its just the way your sentence was worded, I didn't realise you wanted to stream family videos to your Blade Media as it wasn't said in the original post, my bad if you were offended by that. :)*

no offense taken mate, i could totally see where you were coming from, i was just curious to see how easy it was and the quality of the picture, and to be fair it works really well and easy to use. really pleased with my purchase of the blade so far so good

Back