Weak Signal on some HD Channels

dpullen87

First of all, apologies as I'm sure this has already been answered in one way or another.

When viewing some of the HD channels I'm getting a lot of breakup, for example sky sports news HD and sky sports 5 HD breakup a lot the SNR is around 65% and the AGC is around 5 % but on channels with no issues such as sky sports 1 HD both SNR and AGC are around 90%.

I'm using a vu+ solo 2 (Latest VIX) with turbo tuner, I have a white telewest box on my wall in the living room which a cable comes out of into a Tratec Tris 1002AEN which has one in and one out. The out is connected to the turbo tuner using a 1M WF100 cable.

I've only recently moved in and the virgin connections were already here and live, there is a splitter coming out of the wall in another room but nothing is connected into it.

I'm using net id Redditch TW 40974, I'm in Studley which is a few miles down the road.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_8087.JPG
    IMG_8087.JPG
    718.1 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
I have the same box and tuner and I have the same issue. From what I've been told, need a good quality splitter and wire.
Any unnecessary splitters should be removed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

On some I have read a signal booster is required.
I'm new to this all, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will give better advice

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

So you have a cable coming out of the Tratec tris isolator into the back of the Vu+?

i wouldn't worry about the splitter if nothing is feeding it.

I've recently had to get an amplifier to to get a better signal on some of the channels as some of them weren't clearing at all let alone getting breakup.

I don't think you'll need an amp.
Take the lid off the telewest box and make sure its tight in there.
Wouldn't do any harm trying a simulator either - http://ebay.eu/2rwtgUa

First of all, apologies as I'm sure this has already been answered in one way or another.

When viewing some of the HD channels I'm getting a lot of breakup, for example sky sports news HD and sky sports 5 HD breakup a lot the SNR is around 65% and the AGC is around 5 % but on channels with no issues such as sky sports 1 HD both SNR and AGC are around 90%.

I'm using a vu+ solo 2 (Latest VIX) with turbo tuner, I have a white telewest box on my wall in the living room which a cable comes out of into a Tratec Tris 1002AEN which has one in and one out. The out is connected to the turbo tuner using a 1M WF100 cable.

I've only recently moved in and the virgin connections were already here and live, there is a splitter coming out of the wall in another room but nothing is connected into it.

I'm using net id Redditch TW 40974, I'm in Studley which is a few miles down the road.

Any help would be much appreciated

Cheers,
I use a powered booster
I am on sky sports HD now
Signal 52%
Ago 82%
Not a flicker mate

yes the WF100 cables come directly out of the box in the picture Tratec tris isolator into the vu+ turbo tuner which is then connected to the solo 2 via USB.

Where would the simulator go, is there a special tool to take the white box off as had a look before and couldn't get it off.

you should have a brown box known as the (omnibox) on the outside of your home somewhere, that cable runs to the white box which should have the tris isolator connected to the IN. that stays inside the white box. out of the isolator is your WF100 cable you have in the picture which then goes into your vu+ solo 2 !!

Sounds like a similar issue to what I am having on my VU+ SOLO SE V2. Mine was perfect for a few months until Vm went down in the street one evening, when it came back channels were glitchy when using any other devide on the network (even loading a single web page over wifi).

Made a post on here, was told splitter was fine.

VM are saying there's nothing wrong with the line itself so am at a loose end! A booster definitely sounds my next option of enquiry

Same issue here however only get freezing on ss5 and ss news 87% signal on all channels including these. Sometimes ss5 and news doesnt correct itself until i change channels which is a pain if im out recording. SNR 87% BER 0 whats the best course of action as it is really annoying?

I have running on the zgemma h5 2tc

you should have a brown box known as the (omnibox) on the outside of your home somewhere, that cable runs to the white box which should have the tris isolator connected to the IN. that stays inside the white box. out of the isolator is your WF100 cable you have in the picture which then goes into your vu+ solo 2 !!

Thanks for the reply, the cable in the picture is not the cable going to my vu+. The picture was taken before i connected that up, there is an addtional WF100 cable going from the tris to the vu+.

Are you saying that Tris shouldn't be there, it is connected to something at the bottom of the box. Should it be removed and then plug the vu+ directly into the bottom of that box?

Do you know what torx i'll need to gain access to the TW box?

Same issue here however only get freezing on ss5 and ss news 87% signal on all channels including these. Sometimes ss5 and news doesnt correct itself until i change channels which is a pain if im out recording. SNR 87% BER 0 whats the best course of action as it is really annoying?

I have running on the zgemma h5 2tc

do you have the box connected direct or is your feed split to router etc?

Thanks for the reply, the cable in the picture is not the cable going to my vu+. The picture was taken before i connected that up, there is an addtional WF100 cable going from the tris to the vu+.

Are you saying that Tris shouldn't be there, it is connected to something at the bottom of the box. Should it be removed and then plug the vu+ directly into the bottom of that box?

Do you know what torx i'll need to gain access to the TW box?

if thats a different picture to your problem it makes it a bit tricky to see what your doing.. remove the cable from the white box, pair of grippers does the job or sometimes there just hand tight. you should always need and use the Tris, its an isolator to protect against your box in an electrical storm.

Dude i'm having similar issues but I only have problems with just one HD channel which is Sky Movies Action. I'v seen some other threads on here with similar problems and they all seem to have one thing in common which is the use of the USB Turbo Tuner so i'm thinking that's where the culprit might me

Dude i'm having similar issues but I only have problems with just one HD channel which is Sky Movies Action. I'v seen some other threads on here with similar problems and they all seem to have one thing in common which is the use of the USB Turbo Tuner so i'm thinking that's where the culprit might me

its normally because the feed is weakend with a splitter. there shouldnt be any issues with a usb tuner. a powered hdu / power booster gives back the losses

As Simon has said, the isolator is usually found inside the white box on the inside wall so it's unusual to see it there - if when you open the box up later, there's one already in there then you can remove the extra one which may give you an improved signal.

Back