Western Digital (WD) Really Screwed Up!

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've always been a fan of Western Digital hard drives both internal and external, however, I am really cheesed off with their decision to change their WD Elements 1TB external drive casing from metal to plastic.

Why?

Well, the original casing was a sturdy metal case with front and back rubber bumpers & had all standard connectors.

747.jpg

In an effort to save dollars and force users to have to purchase special WD only leads they changed the casing and connectors too.

No big deal really is it?

Well for this guy it's a very big deal for sure. So much so that I haven't and will never buy one again if Western Digital decide to leave things as they stand.

So what's the big deal with the newer versions?

The new plastic casing is of a very poor quality especially compared to the original metal one.

Not only does it look & feel cheap but it is cheap, very very shoddy and cheap indeed.

748.jpg

Looks pretty OK to me, what's the problem?

Well, look a little closer my friends!

A high quantity of the drives shipped have had misalignment issues (see Pic, apologies for poor quality) whereby it was extremely difficult if not impossible to connect both the power and USB connectors at the rear.

749.jpg

And to cap it all off, Western Digital have changed the connector for the drive end on the USB cable to a non standard fitting. Any old USB cable won't do so you have to purchase replacement cables directly from WD.

As a ten year customer of Western Digital Elements external drives, I will never purchase another one while this design remains in place.

End of rant!

-

Looks like Seagate, Samsung, or Hitachi are gonna be your NEW best friends.. LOL.

It's difficult to tell from the picture but it seems a little absurd for WD to change a good thing.... sorry you're not happy mate... hope you get something that works to your liking. ;)

This seems like the whole mobile phone charger thing - whereby only the official charger for that brand will work. even Nokia are on their third new charger connection in the last 6 or 7 years.
I have a similar feeling about the iomega prestige hard drive, same price and they changed to a plastic case.(though they didn't change connections) i find that the metal case allows heat to dispel quicker than the plastic ones.
if you find a new one that you like - please let us know here (y)

This sucks to know. I hope that they will not take this kind of approach on all their drives. I don't have any of their factory externals, I have a few internals I have placed in external cases though. I really am fond of their performance and reliability and it will be a shame if this is the new trend.

FERGUS I actually prefer the buy your own external enclosure for some reason... guess I just like to mess with building a such. lol. It is a shame tho that WD has chosen to go the way of "plastic" on their drives.... maybe they will listen to "customers" and make the correct decision... it couldn't cost but a few cents more to use the metal enclosures.... I'm sure folks like us wouldn't mind spending a 5iver more to get quality. ;)

Thats the way with me. I figure that way I can always take it back out and put it internal of change the drives out just whatever. I guess I am a control freak. lol

That said, if I was buying the complete unit, I would definitely rather have the top picture (metal enclosure). It just plain looks better and more like it was built to last.

Last edited:
I'm with Ferg and Greensman on this one, I just buy a raw H/D and just swap them out of my enclosures when they get filled up, only takes a couple mins to swap H/D's.

Back