what are people paying for there internet none fibre ?

leejon123

hi,i just wondered what people are paying for their internet connection broadband via phone line and what mb ?
im currently in the process of going down the iptv route through my lgtv.
so i will be looking for a new internet provider.

also what is the minimum download speed i need i was told it needed to be 6mb +

I pay £25 p/m, unlimited fibre, around 38 mb/s download with Sky. IPTV plays fine, SD/HD/FHD.

This is via my phone line.

6mb will be fine for SD, probably HD as well, but I think it needs to be about 15-20 mb minimum for FHD. My in-laws can only get around 4 mb and they can watch SD fine, they struggle at times with HD IPTV, but HD films on Kodi etc play fine, so long as they are not using any other devices.

I pay £25 p/m, unlimited fibre, around 38 mb/s download with Sky. IPTV plays fine, SD/HD/FHD.

This is via my phone line.

6mb will be fine for SD, probably HD as well, but I think it needs to be about 15-20 mb minimum for FHD. My in-laws can only get around 4 mb and they can watch SD fine, they struggle at times with HD IPTV, but HD films on Kodi etc play fine, so long as they are not using any other devices.
is £25 including everything i.e phone line and tv package ?

No, £25 is just my phone/broadband. My total Sky package is £45 p/m, that gives me Entertainment, HD and Kids. It's on an 18 month deal, I could get it cheaper by getting rid of HD and Kids, as both of them cost me £5 p/m each.

It should cost me about £80 p/m but as soon as I said 'No that's too expensive' when signing up, they suddenly had a deal available.

I then use IPTV/Kodi/Terrarium etc for watching sport/movies/box sets.

When I first signed up for ee broadband 18 months ago I was paying £18 line rental and a £1 for 4 Meg bb some crazy deal they had with me having ee contract phone iptv ran well but when kids on network wasn't too good but now pay £28 in total on sky fibre upto 40 Meg plays all iptv well

£25 per month with VM, think it's supposed to be 70 or 75 Mb but it's actually about 55 Mb download.

My mate had a Mag box running on about 8 MB and it was a pile of crap for IPTV.

Box ran fine at my house so it was only down to his internet speed, he changed provider
and it runs fine. From my experience I think you need about 20Mb for a good stable feed but other people may say different.

No, £25 is just my phone/broadband. My total Sky package is £45 p/m, that gives me Entertainment, HD and Kids. It's on an 18 month deal, I could get it cheaper by getting rid of HD and Kids, as both of them cost me £5 p/m each.

It should cost me about £80 p/m but as soon as I said 'No that's too expensive' when signing up, they suddenly had a deal available.

I then use IPTV/Kodi/Terrarium etc for watching sport/movies/box sets.
Thats not a bad deal you got from sky, more or less the same price i pay to virgin for their broadband and tv package, plus a phone line, i only have the main terrestrial channels in hd, the likes of sky one and living are only sd, could you have got a deal without the phone line?

Thats not a bad deal you got from sky, more or less the same price i pay to virgin for their broadband and tv package, plus a phone line, i only have the main terrestrial channels in hd, the likes of sky one and living are only sd, could you have got a deal without the phone line?

I probably could have got a deal on just the TV, but I was looking to switch broadband and phone anyway, I left BT and they were not as cheap as Sky. Deal from BT was not very good.

BT WiFi was awful, I had to have extenders upstairs, no such problems with Sky. For some reason the service with BT gradually got worse in the last few months, I think it may have been the router, I was on my 3rd smart hub.

We stayed with VM mainly for the broadband, which we cant complain about, the mrs is gonna give them a call later in the week to try and scrap the phone line, they will only deal with her as its in her name.

We stayed with VM mainly for the broadband, which we cant complain about, the mrs is gonna give them a call later in the week to try and scrap the phone line, they will only deal with her as its in her name.

I only got Sky TV to keep the Mrs and kids happy. They originally wanted over £70 a month.....not a chance!

Good Luck with that, they are terrible to deal with / Customer Service are Poor and watch otu for them putting back to a 2 yr contract, they do this alot with some peeps i know.
If you downgrade or switch etc, they pile you back into a 2yr deal.

We made sure we didnt go into a contract with them in case we wanted to cancel at any time, so far we havent had much reason to complain except for the phone line issue, but thanks for the warning, duly noted.

The going Rate is around 25-30 a month for Fibre, 50-60 meg..
I am £30 a month for Fibre MAX inc line rental with SLY, but my deal ends next month, so I am looking to see what i can get from either them or someone else.. My 12 month Deal Ends then.
The market is out there, look around and do some haggling with them, you will always get a DEAL... you just need to push them and speak to the right people on the phone.
Retention team are who you want to deal with, and they will simply no hassle get you on the BEST DEAL.. The standard customer service person will not, get shot of them quick and move up the chain to the right people..

Pay £20 a month for 38meg Vodafone broadband, and £40 a month to Sky for HD everything except the Movies bolt on (ie includes all Sky Sports in HD, but no BT Sports, Box nation, or Premier etc).
I have a rock solid IPTV provider but at £10 a week to Sky to keep the missus happy keeps me happy.....

£37 to vodafone. which is shocking to be honest ok in the daytime and shocking at night. there customer service are shocking.

wanted to stay with sky but there prices just climbing and climbing i was paying £45 quid just for standard fibre and phone package no tv at all, going to look elsewhere after my 18 months is up as of a night time iptv is shocking to say the least and in the day its awesome.

speed tests show day time 70mb and night time can go as low as 5mb. they say there isn't a problem at all and its wifi, even though i tell that everything except my phone is ethernet connected and i get the same results with all ethernet devices not just one.

worse company i have ever dealt with, everytime i goto complain its a foreign call center and then they say passing to level 2 tech, 2 days later i get a text saying problem solved its a wifi isssue we don't guarantee wifi problem is now rectified

I pay £29 a month for 100mb's with Virgin with phone line and weekend UK calls. Speeds are pretty reliable but customer service isn't great.

Took it out at around Christmas time last year, they usually have good deals at Christmas time. I called them rather than ordering online and they waived the setup costs. It's also worth looking out for those recommend a friend offers, I think you both get around £50 credit with VM if a friend refers you.

And check out Uswitch and broadband genie. I claimed a £25 voucher when I signed up for BT previous to having virgin.

Unfortunately I'm on a 12 month contract that rises to £45 a month after. I'll try calling up to cancel and hopefully retentions will offer a better deal... If not I'll have to switch.

Not broadband related but my aunt recently took out a basic sky tv package for £15. She changed her mind a few days later and asked me to call then and cancel. They offered to reduce it to £7.50 and add £30 credit to the account. So it's worth haggling. Does not always work but certainly worth a try.

i pay £39 a month with bt, just joined a few month ago but already regret it lol. speeds arent too great

Have you not had the letter recently advising about price increases? You have 30 days from that date to leave penalty free, or maybe you are one of the minority who are not affected.

I pay £29 a month for 100mb's with Virgin with phone line and weekend UK calls. Speeds are pretty reliable but customer service isn't great.

Took it out at around Christmas time last year, they usually have good deals at Christmas time. I called them rather than ordering online and they waived the setup costs. It's also worth looking out for those recommend a friend offers, I think you both get around £50 credit with VM if a friend refers you.

And check out Uswitch and broadband genie. I claimed a £25 voucher when I signed up for BT previous to having virgin.

Unfortunately I'm on a 12 month contract that rises to £45 a month after. I'll try calling up to cancel and hopefully retentions will offer a better deal... If not I'll have to switch.

Not broadband related but my aunt recently took out a basic sky tv package for £15. She changed her mind a few days later and asked me to call then and cancel. They offered to reduce it to £7.50 and add £30 credit to the account. So it's worth haggling. Does not always work but certainly worth a try.
It just shows that they can supply good deals if you try and bargain, but there are some instances when it does not happen, which is what happened to a few friends of mine, but as opposed to that i know a few friends who also got deals, suppose it depends on who you speak with on the phone, but its always worth it to try and haggle.

£25 per month with VM, think it's supposed to be 70 or 75 Mb but it's actually about 55 Mb download.

My mate had a Mag box running on about 8 MB and it was a pile of crap for IPTV.

Box ran fine at my house so it was only down to his internet speed, he changed provider
and it runs fine. From my experience I think you need about 20Mb for a good stable feed but other people may say different.
yeah im with you on that m8 a lot of people told me 6mb is enough but thats very little if you ask me

Back