What Do You Lot Make Of This?

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saw an Ad on TV for this so I had a quick look at the site.

It's called "MadBid"

Anyone know anything about it?

There is also a promotional code for five free bids: tvmadness

Here is a Vid on how it works.

[YOUTUBE]GPyfR58_iO4&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

SCAM or NOT?

Link:

Found these quotes elsewhere,

isn't an auction, its a lottery - and a very lucrative one (for them)

i.e. you pay per ticket (bid). Ever seen an auction do that?
More bids = higher chance of winning.

Every bid increases the price by 1p (but costs you £1).

So if there are just 400 bids for an ipod,
thats £400 revenue for madbid,
and one of those bids gets it for £4

(and everyone else loses their bid money (£1 per bid).

Now it is supposed to be the last bid wins - but it is acceptng bids after "auction end", so I suspect they have a set amount of revenue to receive before really closing...
When you win... If you don't win you pay the charges, as does every other loser on the item in question. And since there can be only one winner that's a lot of losers. It's still a lottery, just a marginally less shady one.
I don't think it's a scam <acronym title="to be honest">tbh</acronym>

They will make a significant loss on some items, but the bids cost you over £1 each pretty much

So if an Ipod nano RRP £99 say goes up, and 100 people bid on it, they have made money (so the price is above £1.01 on the item as it increases a penny each time), now add to that that you have fairly high postage on top it seems like if you are an opportunist and time it right you COULD get them cheap, but it's the timer resetting that got me, for the mini they had, went for £6.83, so they potentially lost £6k or so, but then you look at the cash deals, they made over £150 selling £50

£250 cash, £24 so they made £2400 in bids on £250

It's not a scam as such as you probably get your items (no guarantee as I have never used them) but it's very lucrative, just like those cash call shows late at night where you pay £1.50 or so just to stand a chance of getting through, even then no guarantee that you get through but you still pay, even if you dont win the item you still pay each time you bid on this.

We`ll have to set up our own auction site G ;)

That villa in Spain I dream about might become a reality lol

Back