What else do I need?

Janso

TK Veteran
Hi,

I'm getting an H.2H as I'm having VM broadband installed next Friday.

Basically, what I want to know is what do I need to do to set up the cable side from a hardware point of view?

I know I'll need a splitter (an anybody recommend one or will just any be fine) and a coax cable to come from the splitter (again, can anybody recommend a particular brand that might be better than others) but is there anything else I need to do? maybe an F connector for the coax?

Hi,

I'm getting an H.2H as I'm having VM broadband installed next Friday.

Basically, what I want to know is what do I need to do to set up the cable side from a hardware point of view?

I know I'll need a splitter (an anybody recommend one or will just any be fine) and a coax cable to come from the splitter (again, can anybody recommend a particular brand that might be better than others) but is there anything else I need to do? maybe an F connector for the coax?

I set mine up and was having issues with cheap cables I got on eBay. Make sure you get a tratec splitter 2 way and get the virgin media QuickStart connection pack. This includes all the cables you need. That's what I used and they are working really well I'm able to pick up all channels with no issues and strong signal

We've got an engineer coming out so we won't get the QuickStart pack I don't think?

Can you ask the engineer for extra cables or?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also buy a screw on f connector that screws on to the coax cables. Any will do cheap enough on eBay

---------- Post Merged at 07:00 PM ----------

That's even better. The engineer should give you the cables that's in the pack. I bought the QuickStart connection pack on eBay last week

---------- Post Merged at 07:02 PM ----------

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/191914141283?NAV=HOME

Look at this that's what it looks like

Cheers, I've just ordered one. Could do with a long coax however as the box I want connecting to the feed will be on another floor... are they difficult to connect together? or should I just get one long cable?

Hi, you can try a long coax but it's not recommended as the longer the cable you will have signal issues and will say tuner failed on channels on the virgin side on the box. You can always try it and see. No the connections are very easy to set up only takes a few minutes might take that bit longer as your box is in another room. Just make sure you get everything I mentioned previously and you shouldn't have any issues.

I see what you're saying, feared this would be the case.

Is there such a thing as a powered coax cable?

Yes you can buy powered coax cables which are usually for very long connections and big jobs. I personally haven't used them as never needed to so can't say if they work or not. All I know is that the longer the cable it takes longer for the signal to pass to the router to the box and vice versa. Also if the cable is too long and tangles up this will also causes signal loss. If you do decide to go for a powered coax cable make sure you get the correct length required for the job.

---------- Post Merged at 09:26 PM ----------

Is this your first time setting up one of these boxes. If so make sure you have all the virgin settings correct in the tuner settings and your provider in order to be able to pick up all virgin channels

---------- Post Merged at 09:27 PM ----------

Also make sure that if your only using Virgin and not sky then turn off tuner a as that can cause some tuning issues

I've set up a few sat boxes before, but I've never done a combo or any type of cable receiver.

I'll be using both tuners though.

If your using both sky and Virgin it's a bit tricky to set up in FileZilla. It took me a few days to get it working. Make sure you get both c lines for both sky and Virgin as that way the both lines will run smoothly and without any issues. Also make sure you have all the correct files needed in FileZilla and put the 2 lines into the same folder

I've got an H2S at present anyway so I'd be in no rush to get it set up once I had everything in place.

Thanks for your help though. :)

To be really honest with you I don't think it would make a difference. Your better just trying the coax first and see if all HD channels are working and all virgin channels if not you know you have signal issues

Just a thought. Somebody else on another thread said he got them out to install TV and then cancelled it before the cooling off period ended. I may have to do this if I'm unable to get it working myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you would be better doing that if your only getting it in to get cable tv channels- HD. It can be a bit tricky to get it going. Took me about 2 weeks before everything was working as it should as I had to cable everything up correctly and fix all the settings needed for it to work

Back