What exactly is XBMC and what is it good for?

Hi folks,
I have been reading lately about XBMC, i know it streams multimedia but im wondering what are the benefits of having it and also which box would be the easiest to set up and maintain if i did want to set it up. Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers

XBMC is an operating system, like windows on your computer.

Most people load a piece of software called Xfininty, (some boxes come pre loaded) that allows you to stream off the net.

It basically turns a normal TV into a smart TV.

It gives you a list of channels such as films, docs, music etc which makes searching easier.

The picture quality can range from pretty decent to crap, I use mine for streaming music mainly
and watching concerts.

I use a BM3500 but they all use the same set up so I don't think the make of box is that important.

There OK, but as far as I can tell, most of the loop holes for streaming "new" films etc have been blocked
unless you want to pay a subscription to a server

Last edited:
Thanks for replying ,I was thinking of getting it to watch movies and the likes of netflix, seems to me the sat boxes are the way to go, would i be right in saying that? I was looking at the Skybox V8, is this kind of the same thing as it has web access or am i way off?

Not too sure what you are trying to achieve,

Sat boxes and a subscription to a server will get you a full sky package.
Looks like the V8 is like a fancy F5, (so F5 with XBMC)

There is no HD on the sat side anymore but you can do the same thing with cable
and get HD if you have a live VM feed.

There are people selliing netflix logins fairly cheap, I think they are about £12 for six months
from what I can remember.

Not sure about what set up you need, I guess you need a smart TV or an XBMC box
attached to a normal TV.

You can also pay a subscription to an IPTV server, but I believe they are a bit expensive
and because they stream over the net the picture quality isn't great.

I didn't really check out the whole XBMC thing as I could just download off
pirate bay and stick it on a memory stick, and watch the latest films that way lol

LOL Really im trying to be greedy and have everything in 1 !! I already have an F5 with sub whic i only set up thanks to this forum, quite easy. I was looking at the skybox site and seen the V8 and was thinking i could have it all in one. The XBMC thing seems cool but i dont really need it. I cant find anything on the site regarding the V8 so im assuming its new\newish?

Never heard of V8 until you mentioned it.

Skyboxes are the cheap end of things and clones cause you problems
with firmware, there are better boxes out there.

I personally use XBMC on a raspberry pi attached to my main TV. I use it to access my home network to stream all my films, photos and home videos as well as watching some of the 3pm football games via add ons such as NBC sports and Sports devil.

The best £25 I ever spent. Lol

iptv

I personally use XBMC on a raspberry pi attached to my main TV. I use it to access my home network to stream all my films, photos and home videos as well as watching some of the 3pm football games via add ons such as NBC sports and Sports devil.

The best £25 I ever spent. Lol
why any whats iptv i dont now because it dear for one so buy mx box and watch all the movies you like hahaha loveit

Sorry? I have read your comment 3 or 4 times now and still I'm not actually sure what you are saying. Don't mean to he rude but am a bit confused???

have used xvmc for few years now,run of jailbroken atv 2,tried it on pc,mac and android devices,but none of them stream as well as atv 2.basicly xbmc will let you stream any film/tv programe,that you want to watch,if it is out there on the net.

the new kindle fire tv,can also run xbmc,but not got my hands on one to try.

plenty of tutorials around,explaining how to instal on most devices
regards jay

[video=youtube;pMRTho3hupA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMRTho3hupA[/video]

mx8 is a great box and easy to setup

Back