What is a swap file?

JamieLee2k

So let me get this correct, in Wooshman build he says we need to do a swap file, now after a little research I think it has something to do with virtual memory and helps speed things up, what I don't know is in wooshmans guide he says to use 256mb, why that number in specific? Why not a higher number? And has it got anything to do with bigger/smaller usb drives?

Creating a swap file is just a bit of security. Its gives your box a bit of breathing space when its busy busy. 99% of the time it wont even be used. For example overnight you may have your epg updating, your channel list updating, these both use a lot of memory, this coupled with the memory used for all your plugins might mean at this moment of stress your box might run out of memory and crash. The swap file will kick in at this moment and give your box more memory to play with. 256mb is enough for it not to crash, and small enough as not to be a waste of space on your hdd/usb. As I say it very rarely gets used, so no point in setting any larger as its just a waste of your media space.

Back