which box for a noob?

cdy

Hello all,
I've considered several boxes since I decided to take up the satellite hobby a couple of months back. My favourite, on paper, is the VU Duo, but, alas! I cannot afford it. So, for a complete newbie which, more affordable box, would be most suitable?

I like the look of the following because they all sound relatively simple to set up and user friendly:
DM800HD; BM7000; x403p hd; OpenBox s9 or s10?
Any comments, eg pros and cons, and/or additional suggestions, guys?

I'm looking for something user-friendly, relatively easy to set up and use, and the only additional function I want is time-shift so I can pause/rewind programmes if need be. Ideally I'd like an internal HDD but I can live with an external.
In terms of budget I can not go above £150. Opinion/views/advice, guys?

Many thanks

I use the spiderbox 9000 hd very good user friendly set up easy through the usb ports with memory stick PLUS FREE GIFT BIT OVER YOUR BUDGET BUT NOT DISSAPOINTING

Last edited:
hi cdy i am in the same boat been down the cable route now looking for satellite.Have dish from few years back with which i pick up freesat so any advice would be appreciated.Have been looking around the site but seem to be going in circles (or may have overlooked) but for a newbie to this its hard to digest (getting old)
thanks

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

thanks for that bazza 8952 but finding an outlet that sells them is proving difficult (nice with free anything!)

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

Googled and found it
thanks again for the advice

I'm in the same proverbial boat, Sprayer. I've been visiting for 2 months now as a guest and I'm still pretty much clueless! I think one needs a Ph.D in satellite technology to understand much of the stuff in the tutorials/guides online!

Bazza, thanks for the advice. May I ask what is mean by a "gift". I've come across it in a few threads now but still no idea what it means in the context of sat boxes!

Cheers

I don't know a lot about the Satellite situation, but one box that has been talked a lot about around here is the Blade. plenty of info >>> JUST CLICK ~HERE

bit of specific info from a satellite magazine HERE

Retails at £148.99

Thanks, wheelo. I've a friend who has the BM7000 and highly recommends it.

A lot of members here have the blade I myself have 2 and everyone will tell you it's a brilliant box. The upgrades are getting better day by day and slowly the box is unleashing a lot more add ons.

A lot of members here have the blade I myself have 2 and everyone will tell you it's a brilliant box. The upgrades are getting better day by day and slowly the box is unleashing a lot more add ons.

I can vouch for the blade7000, easy for newbes to set up. Find a good server, and for say£100 a year get ALL the channels you need.

Is it wise to pay for a yea up-front? I know it's financially the better option, but what's the chance of a server going down etc? Many thanks for continued advice.

Good valid point mate. The one im using was recogmended to me by a very experienced satellite enthusiast, and i have paid for 3 months at £50 to see how it pans out. Im well pleased so far so will risk a year come december at about £125. There is cheaper about and i dare say theres also a risk in this game of a sever going down etc, but compared to what i was paying a certain well known company im well chuffed. Loads of good channels, excellent HD well worth every penny.

What's the PVR functionality and EPG like with the BM7000?
I know the box is a single s tuner and needs an external hdd but somebody advised me to fit a "caddy" hdd. Anybody have any ideas what that means?!

PVR is fine, easy to hook up a portable USB hard drive
I think EPG isn't the best to be honest but box is spot
on, easy to setup and use. HD channels sound, personally i wouldn't let the EPG
put me off, it might improve with firmware upgrades in the future

No, 1 week EPG but sometimes only get a few days and discription
of programme sometimes sticks on a previous programme.

only had mine a few weeks so I might be doing something wrong
or missing something other than that box is fine, had cable boxes in the past
and this knocks spots off them

Back