Which box

Janso

TK Veteran
I've just flogged my satellite box and in the process of selling an old Zgemma on eBay so should have around £160 to play with, looking at getting a box with two cable tuners (would prefer internally split but not too fussed) and preferably one satellite tuner, but this isn't essential.

I'm looking at the moment at the Vu+ Solo SE V2 cable version, the Zgemma H5.2TC (which is cheaper but has two satellite tuners over one cable, right?), Mutant HD51 (leaning towards this one tbh) and the Xtrend ET8500. I know there's reviews etc out there, I can look at all the specs etc, but I'd like opinions from people here who I know know what they're talking about (and obviously anyone else that can chip in).

The H5.2tc has a single satellite tuner and twin cable tuner. You could get the zgemma h7c for just £6 more than your budget which is faster box, allows for internal hdd and is 4k.

The H5.2TC has 1 x satellite tuner and 2 x cable tuners ... main thing that lets it down is no option for internal hdd but apart from that it's a cracking box for the price.

Not fussed about internal hard drive, to be honest. Got a 2TB external one so that’s of no concern to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont have one,
but been looking at a few,
and, i think bang for buck,
the H5.2tc is hard to beat,
depending on if you feel the other extras are worth it though

one thing I will say,
get the box you want, otherwise you will always regret it

Got that right. I'm still leaning towards the Mutant pending the end of these eBay auctions but I've been thinking about finally sticking a couple of extra LNBs on my dish so I might just go for the Zgemma and use the extra dosh to do that. Got a couple of days yet and then there's no rush I suppose.

if you do go all cable the mutant hd51 is £159 at the mo. choice of tuners if needed. remote is Sh.t in my opinion but great box for a 2 x dvb-c. have that box in spare room.
Or in my main room have an Octagon SF4008. Quality box, as good as or slightly better than the hd51. Only needs 1 feed on a twin tuner. optional cable or sat tuner can be added. For me the Octagon 1st place. both support internal HDD if needed.

I'm stuck between the Mutant, the Octagon and the Technomate TM-Twin 4k.........good deal on the mutant but the crap remote puts me off

One half of me is like sod it, as long as its quicker than the 750MHz cpu in my zgemma h2s.......the other half is being a remote snob! lol

well for starters don't even look at the new Technomate TM-Twin 4k, been reported has serious over heating issues.

both the mutant and octagon are the top contenders. The remote on the octagon is really well laid out and feels and looks decent quality. both super fast quick boxes. shame about the remote on the mutant but you could always use a universal urc6440. (thanks to Willo for that)

well for starters don't even look at the new Technomate TM-Twin 4k, been reported has serious over heating issues.

both the mutant and octagon are the top contenders. The remote on the octagon is really well laid out and feels and looks decent quality. both super fast quick boxes. shame about the remote on the mutant but you could always use a universal urc6440. (thanks to Willo for that)

Just saw that in the Technomate section so had just ruled that one out ;)

Might just go for the Octagon, I had a Duo2 last year so obviously had a premium feel to it, sold it as I got a good deal with Sly and there was a uk shortage so it sold for good money, bought a ZGemma to dabble with IPTV and it does the job but is a real step down from what I’m used to

If I buy a mutant for £169 and a universal remote for £20 I’m only £6 off the price of an Octagon, how does the remote compare to the Duo2’s?

The “top-of-the-range” zgemma can be sold on to an unknowing friend/family member

I pulled the trigger on an Octagon SF4008, BM Trading selling them with 2yr warranty on eBay for £179.99 with free next day delivery, WoS wanted £195 + delivery........shame as I usually like to order from them :(

Admittedly thats with a twin S2 config as I can't get cable where I am

Hopefully I can watch my VOD through XC plugin now without dropping frames on moving scenes all the time like the zgemma did :LOL:

Thanks for the advice Simon and hope you manage to pick one to order Janso :(y):

Why did I have to be the remote snob?!?
The Octagon remote uses the same codes as my LG Soundbar, the left arrow mutes it and the down arrow turns it up [emoji24]

Ended up with a second hand Ultimo my friend wanted shut of. [emoji23]

Sold a Zgemma and the Solo2 I had so I’ve spent no money in effect as that paid what he wanted entirely. Am I right in thinking these have plug and play tuners or is that just the 4K model?

Wow! You did well there mate, wish I had a mate selling an Ultimo for that money [emoji23]

Back