Which Combo Digital Receiver box to choose: GiGaBlue vs. Spycat

Hi there,

I have a budget of between £150 & £200 and would like to get a box with a 500GB HDD so I can record programmes.

I have managed to narrow my search to the following 2 boxes and would really welcome some advice on which box is best or if I should be considering any other boxes with this budget.

GiGaBlue HD Ultra UE Linux Enigma 2 HD PVR COMBO Receiver 1x DVB-S/S2 + 1x DVB-C/T/T2
Spycat Linux Enigma 2 HD COMBO Receiver (1x DVB-S/S2 + 1x DVB-C/T2)

I look forward to hearing people’s thoughts!

Many thanks,
Jamie

Also look at support for receivers not just the price point, Gigablue have been around for years and wont do a disappearing act over night never heard of the Spycat brand could be rebadge of another make.

Also consider Xtrend and Vu+ they have both been around about the same time

Personally I agree with FreeUK the spycat is unknown quantity in the UK rite now and pretty much just appeared overnight.

There's just no telling how reliable their hardware is going to be or how effective they are going to be at resolving any unforeseen driver issues.
Gigablue have a proven track record on this front and are well supported with many reviews from users all over Europe, I have yet to find any for the spycat except for those by sellers which frankly cant be trusted as they will say any thing to sell a receiver and cant be expected to to unbiased.

Hi there,

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

I was unaware that SpyCat was not well known. Having taken on board your comments above, I have limited my choice to the following two boxes:

Xtrend ET8000 1x DVB-S2 + 1x DVBC/T/T2 COMBO Linux Enigma 2 Linux HD Digital Receiver PVR Ready

Xtrend ET8000 1x DVB-S2 + 1x DVBC/T/T2 COMBO Linux Enigma 2 Linux HD Digital Receiver PVR Ready

GiGaBlue HD Ultra UE Linux Enigma 2 HD PVR COMBO Receiver 1x DVB-S/S2 + 1x DVB-C/T/T2

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/combo-digital-cable-terrestrial-satellite-receivers/Gigablue-Combo-HD-Linux-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Ultra-UE-Combo-1x-dvb-s-s2-1x-hybrid-dvb-c-t-t2#sthash.ySP3wKnK.dpuf

Could someone please inform me which box is best, as they are both about the same price?

In response to FreeUK’s post, I would love to get a VU+ box, but my understanding is that these boxes are much more expensive. Unfortunately, my budget only stretches to £200.

Any help on the above two boxes would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

many happy users of both boxes in different places and all can run vix image of choice,both can use bees thread for setting up e2 combo box.2 good choices you made.

Hi Cactkid, thank you so much, gives some peace of mind. If you HAD to choose, which one would you go for? Have no way of deciding!

Can you also let me know whether it is better to get internal or external HDD?

Also, if I was to get internal HDD from WOS would this already be installed inside the combo box, or would I have to instal it?

Sorry for basis nature of questions, but never done this before. Thanks

if box can take an internal hdd it is fitted and box flashed with vix image [ of your choice ] if box cant have internal they may do a 500 gb usb external hdd.
i had the et8000 and very impressed and had twin cable tuners but box had a fault and replaced and upgraded to et10000 2 sat + 2 cable +1 tb internal.

1 or 2 as sometimes you get the odd one in a batch of 1000.mine was a lan issue.took wos 5 days to get the same fault lol

box was under warranty so they send it back you get a replacement but asked for an upgrade as vu duo would need replacing also as it was old,hence quad tuner box doing 2 jobs.

Back