Which hard drive

padder

Just wondering which hard drive people are using with their blade? Do I need a 3.5 inch disk with separate power supply or would a USB powered 2.5 inch work? (Does the USB kick out enough power to run one?). 2nd option would be preferable as no extra power cables needed. I'm assuming any new drive would be quick enough? USB Memory stick would be ideal but obviously limited capacity and would it be quick enough?

Is the recording function reliable? Can I schedule a recording and leave the box in standby and will it still record OK?

I use a USB 3 32gb pen drive, which gives me about 6 hours of HD recordings. It also works pretty well for pausing live TV too. I did try a USB powered hard drive, which did pass the speed test, but playback was terrible for live pausing.

Scheduled recording do work, box turns it self on and off, i'd advise turning 'lead in/out' on, missed the end of a program I recorded last week.

I'm gonna be investing in a USB 3 SSD drive soon, which should give me speed and storage. (128's are around £60)

Interesting to see if any mains powered hard drives work as well as a USB pen?

If youd prefer usb I would definitely use a 3.0 over a 2.0 I've not tried a mains powered hard drive but I would imagine this would be the better option???

I use a 500Gb Toshiba, 3.0, 2.5" USB HDD,

Had it ages no problems with it.

They are about £40 now.

I have read of posts where various boxes don't see really big HDD's
so you may not want to go overboard with the capacity, think the last
one I read about which caused a problem was a 2TB.

Wait so these don't come with built in hard drives?

Damn i'm so confused by this. I looked at blade over a skybox so i could record. Is this onky the case in terms of functionality then?

Damn i'm so confused by this. I looked at blade over a skybox so i could record. Is this onky the case in terms of functionality then?
Nope afraid not you will need to add a hard drive if you wanna spend a bit extra then you could get a vu duo with a sata 2.5" hard drive installed but ya looking at £250 and I wouldn't tackle 1 as a first box!

Nope afraid not you will need to add a hard drive if you wanna spend a bit extra then you could get a vu duo with a sata 2.5" hard drive installed but ya looking at £250 and I wouldn't tackle 1 as a first box!

Ah okay. Dont know where i got that idea but thanks for sharing. So basically nobdifference between this and F5 then, i csn record from both but only using a separate hard drive?

Ah okay. Dont know where i got that idea but thanks for sharing. So basically nobdifference between this and F5 then, i csn record from both but only using a separate hard drive?
Not a lot of difference just the blade has a better reputation as bin a more stable box and better build qaulity!

F5 has only got now and next EPG, timer recording is set like the old
videos, type in channel, time, duration etc.

F5s has got 7 day EPG like the blade, single button timer recording function.

I use a 500Gb Toshiba, 3.0, 2.5" USB HDD,

Had it ages no problems with it.

They are about £40 now.

I have read of posts where various boxes don't see really big HDD's
so you may not want to go overboard with the capacity, think the last
one I read about which caused a problem was a 2TB.
Is that drive mains or USB powered?

I tried a usb pen drive and it works but recordings are not smooth I prefer the pen drive as its less hassle with extra cables all over for a powered drive..what largish pen drive works smooth with the blade? Thanks

USB, something like this.

Dabs are doing them for £38

HTML:
http://www.dabs.com/products/toshiba-500gb-stor-e-basics-usb-3-0-2-5--portable-hard-drive-black-885S.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc%20product%20search&utm_content=Q200&utm_campaign=Components%20and%20Storage%20-%20Hard%20Drives%20-%20External%20Hard%20Drives&origin=pla

Last edited:
I can get a 1tb one from Amazon for around £50 so may go for one of those

---------- Post Merged at 03:06 PM ----------

I can get a 1tb one from Amazon for around £50 so may go for one of those

I want a 64 gb usb pen drive what brand works well with the blade

Thanks

It's recommended to use a USB hard drive rather than flash drive, so there's no problems with playback. I haven't tried flash storage but my 250gb WD hard drive has been perfect.

Thing is the USB hard drive is a messy solution I have loads of cables in my system as is and my extension lead has no more spare sockets. Ordered a 64 gig Kingston 3.0 USB hope playback improves.

Thing is the USB hard drive is a messy solution I have loads of cables in my system as is and my extension lead has no more spare sockets. Ordered a 64 gig Kingston 3.0 USB hope playback improves.

Let us know how it goes mate is rather have no wires too lol

no protection on multi power strips and overloading smells good lol,by using a mains powered hdd less stress on usb port on box and could burn out like the skyboxes.

Back