Windows 8 Windows 8 - Cant see my secondary HDD

j4v3d

VIP Member
Hi Guys,

Out of the blue my secondary hard drive has decided he doesn't like me anymore and has disappeared. I'm on Windows 8. Primary HDD is a SSD, then the secondary HDD is a normal HDD.

HDD.PNG

In device manager;

DM.PNG

Computer Management;

CM.jpg

LOL - Has the NSA stole my secondary HDD?

Thanks in advance
j4v3d

Last edited:
- Has the NSA stole my secondary HDD?

sneaky b@@tards arent they.lol. does the drive show up in your bios?

Need to double check that and get back to you. They may have taken over my BIOS settings too lol

Nope nowhere to be seen in the BIOS. Just the SSD Hard Drive and DVD-RW showing up - maybe a cable come loose?

What do you suggest @aldan?

It's all plugged in no loose wires coming out from behind the secondary HDD.

Can't see it in BIOS either. Does this mean the HDD is faulty? Tried system restore that didn't do anything either.

Seriously would consider changing the ide/sata cable (you don't specify which) just to check. System restore wont do jack if bios not seeing it. So check cable and if you are confident enough with computers just rest your hand on top of the drive when powering on to see if you can feel it spinning up. Otherwise it's a dodo :(

Seriously would consider changing the ide/sata cable (you don't specify which) just to check. System restore wont do jack if bios not seeing it. So check cable and if you are confident enough with computers just rest your hand on top of the drive when powering on to see if you can feel it spinning up. Otherwise it's a dodo :(

Its SATA I think has two wires connected one small and the other is thin and wide. Might have to provide a pic. Managed to mess my PC right up reset my BIOS which messed up did windows 8 refresh to get back on desktop and lost most my apps. Its not showing my secondary HDD either. It disappeared when I used command prompt to flash my HTC One.

Try switching the cables if you can, post a pic of the cables.

Sounds like a dead drive to me, the chances of the cables failing is pretty much nil.

If you lived closer I could replace it all in about 5 mins. ;)

Try switching the cables if you can, post a pic of the cables.

Sounds like a dead drive to me, the chances of the cables failing is pretty much nil.

If you lived closer I could replace it all in about 5 mins. ;)

Pop in I'll get the kettle on :)

Both the HDD are SATA will swap the cables if I can & get back to you guys. Its looking like its dead to me :(

Right i have tried switching the cables but it made no difference, when unplugging and plugging back in the SATA cable wire i could hear the HDD power up and power down on removal of the SATA Cable. This was the sound of the secondary HDD which isnt a SSD Hard Drive.

When i try to create a partition to see if Windows can pick up the secondary HDD there is nothing there. I've tried a clean install of Windows (it needed one anyway) but no HDD drive. Just the SSD HDD.

I literally don't know what else to try, apart from plugging it in another computer, but i don't think my bro PC has a SATA connection on his HDD. Proper gutted at the moment. Is there anything else i can try before trying the HDD in another PC or hand it in to get it checked out?

It can't have died - hardly even use this computer. If it's dead then i'm sure i have a manufacturer warranty.

Any suggestions as always is very much appreciated from you guys.

I really don't think there is much else you can do, the motor may be working, but it's very likely that there is something wrong with the reader head or the arm that the reader head is attached to.

If it's less than a year old then there should be a manufactures warranty on the HD.

I really don't think there is much else you can do, the motor may be working, but it's very likely that there is something wrong with the reader head or the arm that the reader head is attached to.

If it's less than a year old then there should be a manufactures warranty on the HD.

Going to try it on brother PC see if his BIOS detects it & take it from there. I've had the PC over a year. Need to check the receipts for actual date. Either way the warranty should be valid for fair few years on the HDD?

Have you tried any partition programs that may detect the hard drive like easeus partition? from their you could try assign a drive letter maybe?
Another possible solution is, if you dont have any data on it, is to reformat the drive on another computer and then try reinstall it on your pc again?
Its strange though that you say it disappeared after you rooted the htc one...

Have you tried any partition programs that may detect the hard drive like easeus partition? from their you could try assign a drive letter maybe?
Another possible solution is, if you dont have any data on it, is to reformat the drive on another computer and then try reinstall it on your pc again?

That's what I don't get either why it stopped working AFTER I rooted my HTC One using CMD prompt. I've not tried the partition software you have stated. Will check it out tonight. I tried the Windows 8 partition during install but nothing was being picked up. It has stuff on the HDD that I need so formatting is the last thing on my mind. Fire as many suggestions as possible really appreciate all you're help & to the others who have replied

What i would suggest (and what i would do myself if it happened) is ask the developers at xda, they could know more on the subject and in particular if it causes problems for people they would want to express that information to others!

Right axxxo how do you use this software? This is what it's showing me at the moment;

Capture.jpg

Thats that suggestion out the window, it aint showing the secondary at all, you could try something like a hot swap, remove the hard drive while the comp is switched on and then replacing it with the comp still on forcing windows to recognise a change in hardware, or removing it while off and replacing it while on... could have damaging effects (disclaimer :) )

Thats that suggestion out the window, it aint showing the secondary at all, you could try something like a hot swap, remove the hard drive while the comp is switched on and then replacing it with the comp still on forcing windows to recognise a change in hardware, or removing it while off and replacing it while on... could have damaging effects (disclaimer :) )

Already tried, plugging it in and out when the PC is on, makes the start-up noise then goes quiet. Tried it while off, even BIOS wouldn't pick up the HDD. Will try it in bro PC tomorrow to see if his BIOS detects the HDD. Tried it a few times then left it due to the fact i could be doing more damage than good.

Back