Wireless connection keeps dropping/ dongle help

smurphy

hi,
I'm looking for help with my wireless internet!
I have a packard bell netbook and have had problems connecting to the internet for a while using wireless connection, it is connected for short periods but often goes off ALOT and so impossible to watch movies and streaming.
When i troubleshoot the connection it usually comes back on, and ALWAYS comes back on when the option of 'repair as administrator' is given. does this mean im not the administrator on my own laptop?
The rest of the house connects fine wirelessly so it had to be something to do with my laptop maybe the driver im not sure not very good with it all!
I have bought a dongle 802.11 n WLAN with the hope of it picking up the connection better, but it will not install!
''device driver software was not successfully installed'' appears everytime i try to troubleshoot it

can somebody help me out its seriously driving me crazy!
Sorry if this has been asked and already solved!

thanks
steph

Which operating system are you running? Which encryption type is your router configured too? (WEP, WPA, WPA2).

If you want to try updating the drivers, then Slim Drivers is a free and neat tool that will download the updated driver for you and install it. Don't worry it's clean, I've used it myself:

Code:
http://download.cnet.com/SlimDrivers-Free/3000-18513_4-75279940.html?part=dl-0

I'm sorry i have pretty basic knowledge on it where can i find out which encryption im configured too?
where about do i type the code in?

---------- Post Merged at 09:16 PM ----------

*edit
The wire is connected to LAN in the router, (first out of the four slots?)

I'm sorry i have pretty basic knowledge on it where can i find out which encryption im configured too?
where about do i type the code in?

---------- Post Merged at 09:16 PM ----------

*edit
The wire is connected to LAN in the router, (first out of the four slots?)

The wire is connected to LAN in the router? Does that mean your having issues with a wired connection to your router and not a wireless one?

there is a connection using ethernet cable, which doesnt drop.
When i use wireless is when the connection drops. before i 'troubleshoot as the administrator' i get the message ;
'Windows wireless service is not running on this computer[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial, sans-serif]' [/FONT]

there is a connection using ethernet cable, which doesnt drop.
When i use wireless is when the connection drops. before i 'troubleshoot as the administrator' i get the message ;
'Windows wireless service is not running on this computer[FONT=Segoe UI, Arial, sans-serif]' [/FONT]

Let's first try to start the wireless service i.e. WLAN AutoConfig service manually. To do this, login to the computer as an administrator.
1. Click Start, type services.msc and hit enter.
2. Locate WLAN AutoConfig service, double click on it to open its properties window.
3. Under General tab, change the Startup type to Automatic and click Start button.
4. Click Apply and then ok.

Source: answers.microsoft.

It was already on automatic, it also gives a automatic (delayed) manuel and disabled options.
do you think maybe disableing then clicking automatic might work?

Nobody is the administrator of their laptop/pc unless they create "a real" one (even if it says so next to your name)
Im guessing your running xp?
If there are more than one devices connecting wirelessly than maybe you have a conflict?
Does the connection drop when someone else connects to the wireless?
If you go to the manufacturers website for the dongle they should have drivers needed to install correctly with a guide on how to do so for your operating system.

Another quick thing to check is that the comp is not connecting to another network that is higher up the priorities list in you network connections. I recently was looking at a mates comp for same problem, found that he had a neighbors wireless connection that comp was connecting to after he had connected to his own. I just deleted that saved network connection and all was good.

just another thing too check and eliminate.

jodav :)

Back