Zgemma box wont boot or flash

Thanks bazcfc1. I'll clearly have to buy another usb stick. Can you recommend any particular makes that the box prefers? Yeah, I'm putting the usb in the rear port of the box, and have only transferred the zgemma stuff from the zip file (not the zip itself) as per the very useful instructions I've found on this site
You could always try what @NazoDoop has stated before trying a new usb I use sandisk or Toshiba what image is already on the box what image are you wanting on

Thanks for the advice NazoDoop, only I wouldn't know where to start. I assume I'll have to google them?
Do you know what image is on your box as may not need a USB does it boot up and show freeview

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres hdd guru http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/ do a low format and then run Windows Format Fat32 slow After

Or try Bootice
http://www.techkings.org/resources/preparing-flash-drives.41/
Thanks very much NazoDoop. I'm formatting using the HDDGuru as I type, and I assume after it's finished formatting, I just reload the items from the zgemma zip folder again as per my specific model? Then I'll try flashing the machine again

Thanks very much NazoDoop. I'm formatting using the HDDGuru as I type, and I assume after it's finished formatting, I just reload the items from the zgemma zip folder again as per my specific model? Then I'll try flashing the machine again
Sorry to ask so many stupid questions of you, but how do I go about running windows FAT32 slow after the HDDGuru has finished?

Once formatted you should just be able to put zgemma file onto it then try reflashing it It shouldn't need a slow format as it's already formatted just give it a fast format if it won't flash

Do you know what image is on your box as may not need a USB does it boot up and show freeview
Hi bazcfc1. In answer to your question, the machine does boot up, but no image showing on my tv, despite me running in my bedroom via my old sky dish

Go into my computer/this pc right click on the usb drive, click format, then click Fat32 and untick fast format
Thanks NazoDoop. The HDDGuru is still running, so I'll do that once it's finished. Thanks again for your advice, as it's very much appreciated

Go into my computer/this pc right click on the usb drive, click format, then click Fat32 and untick fast format
windows 10 isn't giving me PHAT32 option, only exPHAT or NTFS. I've downloaded guiformatting tool that's slow formatting to PHAT32. I hope this is the right thing to do

windows 10 isn't giving me PHAT32 option, only exPHAT or NTFS. I've downloaded guiformatting tool that's slow formatting to PHAT32. I hope this is the right thing to do

Thats really odd, you should see Fat32. After using HDD guru you could have tried flashing?

There's always Bootice & HP Format you could try.
There's loads of people on here having trouble flashing via USB and i was one of them. You may have to try a different stick.

People usually recommend using a stick of a max of 32gb

T
as previously asked,
what image is currently on the box.?
and what image are you trying to flash.?
this may all be a waste of time
To what the op put there is no image on the box mate you thinking same as me if it had image on pending what it was just flash online lol

T

To what the op put there is no image on the box mate you thinking same as me if it had image on pending what it was just flash online lol

there has to be some sort of image on the box for it to boot,
not a 3rd party image such as whoosh or anything, but there must be at least an ATV image on there.

Thats really odd, you should see Fat32. After using HDD guru you could have tried flashing?

There's always Bootice & HP Format you could try.
There's loads of people on here having trouble flashing via USB and i was one of them. You may have to try a different stick.

People usually recommend using a stick of a max of 32gb
Hi NazoDoop. I did try reflashing after using HDD guru, but it wouldn't flash once booted up. I'll leave it slow formatting to PHAT32, and if that doesn't work I'll have a go at what Wooshman suggests. Thanks again for you help

Hi NazoDoop. I did try reflashing after using HDD guru, but it wouldn't flash once booted up. I'll leave it slow formatting to PHAT32, and if that doesn't work I'll have a go at what Wooshman suggests. Thanks again for you help
@MillyMollyMandy let the box boot up or whilst it booting up take note of what it says on tv screen or go to menu information and take a look what it says

read what @bazcfc1 has posted
also, when trying to flash, are you pressing the button when it shows as FLSH or UPDT or whatever it shows on a zgemma.?
I'm still confused as to what you are trying to flash as you havent told us yet.

Thanks Wooshman, I'll give that a go. I've downloaded Bootice and will carefully read the instructions to ensure I get it right. Thanks again for your help as it's very much appreciated

Ok keep trying you will get there.
Did you power off your box with the switch at the back, put the USB in, and then turn the box on again ?
Yeah, I put the usb in the back of the box, and then used the white button to power on. It showed 'boot', the usb started flashing, and yet nothing is showing on my tv screen. So I'm stuck at the moment, so will do as Wooshman suggests in formatting the usb with bootice

read what @bazcfc1 has posted
also, when trying to flash, are you pressing the button when it shows as FLSH or UPDT or whatever it shows on a zgemma.?
I'm still confused as to what you are trying to flash as you havent told us yet.
Hi Steptoe. I'm trying to flash openatv on to my zgemma h2s

Ok, if you haven't renamed the file "Noforce" to "Force" (within the zGemma folder) then you must press the front On/Off button when LED display shows "UPDT".
It should then change to "FLSH"
Also make sure no other USB device is connected,

Hi Sparkrite. I apologise for not replying or letting you know how I've got on. I care for my father in law who lives with me, and so get very little spare time. I sincerely apologise for any upset I've caused, as it was never my intention to be discourteous or offend you or any of the other members that have kindly gone out of their way to help me. I now have a SanDisk cruser blade, but as yet haven't had the time to follow the instructions on how to transfer the unzipped file on to it. I've saved this page so that I can refer back to it, and fingers crossed I'll be able to flash my zgemma box. I probably won't get time to do that for a week or two, but I'll let you all know how I get on.

Hi Sparkrite. I apologise for not replying or letting you know how I've got on. I care for my father in law who lives with me, and so get very little spare time. I sincerely apologise for any upset I've caused, as it was never my intention to be discourteous or offend you or any of the other members that have kindly gone out of their way to help me. I now have a SanDisk cruser blade, but as yet haven't had the time to follow the instructions on how to transfer the unzipped file on to it. I've saved this page so that I can refer back to it, and fingers crossed I'll be able to flash my zgemma box. I probably won't get time to do that for a week or two, but I'll let you all know how I get on.
If you've saved this page you can always refer back to and if you get stuck just continue posting in this thread people will be along to help anytime

Hi Guys. I just wanted to let you know that I've managed to flash my zgemma box, which is much to my relief! I think it's all down to the help I've had from all of the lovely members on this forum, who know a lot more about tech and the like than I do. I couldn't have done this without your help, so I'm ever so grateful. I'm so thrilled that I was tempted to do a cartwheel, but my back wouldn't stand up to it! Seriously though, I can't thank you all enough, and in particular NazoDoop, Bazcfc1 and Sparkrite

Back